Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
not saying we have to disband the marines. Heck, they could be the new land force.
The Marine Corps fights on land, air, and at sea. Only the Army is limited to fighting on land.

Quote:
right now, we have two, and with the wars of the future, do we need that many?
Absolutely. First, the Marine Corps is under the Department of the Navy. Second, the Marines provide security for all Navy vessels. Just like the Navy Corpsmen provide the Marines with their medics. The Marines work very closely with the Navy, the Army does not.

Until 1920 the Marine Corps fought under the command of the Navy when they were at sea, and fought under the command of the Army when they were on land. After WW I that changed, and the Marine Corps was put under the Department of the Navy.

Quote:
heck, with the robots in the pipeline, how many actual people will we even need in the near future?
A lot. Robots cannot think, they can only do what they are programmed to do. Flying drones over areas were we have air-superiority is one thing, going door to door in a city environment, or assaulting a hill is something else completely different. You need people on the ground who can adapt, improvise, and overcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Best answer of the day.
The marines also called the Presidents own. A true brotherhood and unique amoung all the forces. No I am not a Marine but I certainly respect those who are.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The marines also called the Presidents own. A true brotherhood and unique amoung all the forces. No I am not a Marine but I certainly respect those who are.
We're definitely more selective than the Army and our training weeds out a lot of those that simply aren't up to the challenge of becoming a Marine. We really are unique among the services and the pride of being a Marine is without equal, in my humble opinion. Can you tell I served in the Marine Corps??

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Every Marine is a marksman and that is not understood well enough but we are all trained to be able to actually fight if necessary. That is so very key. On a more nitpicking issue I have with the Army - they look so darn sloppy all the time. Not squared away at all. Some are very overweight and simply do not seem to have neither the discipline or pride that we see in the Marine Corps.
It is not their fault that they are so sloppy. Like I said, they are only taught basic drill for a six week period (42 days). While Marine Corps boot camp is 80 training days (which does not count the time it takes to form your platoon). Therefore, the Marine Corps can dedicate more time towards drill, marksmanship, and most importantly Marine Corps history.

The Marines will instill in its recruits "esprit de corps" by teaching its history and accomplishments. This gives the recruit a sense of pride and belonging. The Army has nothing similar.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The Marine Corps fights on land, air, and at sea. Only the Army is limited to fighting on land.
Well, the Army has helicopters...

Quote:
A lot. Robots cannot think, they can only do what they are programmed to do. Flying drones over areas were we have air-superiority is one thing, going door to door in a city environment, or assaulting a hill is something else completely different. You need people on the ground who can adapt, improvise, and overcome.
Humans will definitely be necessary for the foreseeable future, but I suspect not as many.

Also, drones on the ground controlled remotely just like drones in the air...

Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is not their fault that they are so sloppy. Like I said, they are only taught basic drill for a six week period (42 days). While Marine Corps boot camp is 80 training days (which does not count the time it takes to form your platoon). Therefore, the Marine Corps can dedicate more time towards drill, marksmanship, and most importantly Marine Corps history.

The Marines will instill in its recruits "esprit de corps" by teaching its history and accomplishments. This gives the recruit a sense of pride and belonging. The Army has nothing similar.
I can't profess to be an expert on the Army but based on some of my time in the Marine Corps and the time I spent around Army personnel, I have made these observations. Us linguists tend to spend a lot of time around other services so the differences are easily identifiable and often pronounced.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
We're definitely more selective than the Army and our training weeds out a lot of those that simply aren't up to the challenge of becoming a Marine. We really are unique among the services and the pride of being a Marine is without equal, in my humble opinion. Can you tell I served in the Marine Corps??
The Marine will go where ordered because its their job.
The marine will follow orders because its their job.
The marine will die for his or her platoon because they are family.
A Marine doesnt quit, wont beg off and won't ask why me because a Marine knows their duty.
In my town we have a Marine. He is everybit of 50 years old. Well one hot day someone teased him about his extra large waist line. LOL
Well the Marine got his dander up and says 100 bucks says I can run up mile hill without stopping.
It had to be 90 degrees out. Mile hill is what its named a mile of steep road.
The marine was a 4 pack a day of camal no filters.
LOL The bets were on.
2 people bet on that Marine. me and the Marine. Yes beer was involved and normally I wont gamble. But this was a sure bet. Either we would make it or die trying. I opted to make the run with him. The difference? At the time I was 30 years old in great shape and I ran 4 days a week.
Together we chugged up mile hill. We didnt talk just stayed in step.
As we crested the top and ran another 100 meters for good measure the Marine said 1 thing. F&%k I forgot my smokes. LOL
Army delta maybe, Navy seal maybe, para rescue maybe.
Marine sure thing.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The Marine will go where ordered because its their job.
The marine will follow orders because its their job.
The marine will die for his or her platoon because they are family.
A Marine doesnt quit, wont beg off and won't ask why me because a Marine knows their duty.
In my town we have a Marine. He is everybit of 50 years old. Well one hot day someone teased him about his extra large waist line. LOL
Well the Marine got his dander up and says 100 bucks says I can run up mile hill without stopping.
It had to be 90 degrees out. Mile hill is what its named a mile of steep road.
The marine was a 4 pack a day of camal no filters.
LOL The bets were on.
2 people bet on that Marine. me and the Marine. Yes beer was involved and normally I wont gamble. But this was a sure bet. Either we would make it or die trying. I opted to make the run with him. The difference? At the time I was 30 years old in great shape and I ran 4 days a week.
Together we chugged up mile hill. We didnt talk just stayed in step.
As we crested the top and ran another 100 meters for good measure the Marine said 1 thing. F&%k I forgot my smokes. LOL
Army delta maybe, Navy seal maybe, para rescue maybe.
Marine sure thing.
Fantastic story and SO like a Marine. I could actually see this happening. Actually, I think I'm the exact same way, lol!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
If anything, Iraq has shown us an even greater need for the Marine Corps. We need forward deployed forces that can take the ground. Once we have done so, then and only then does the Army move in. They bring the infrastructure for long term deployments. Robots?? Really??
We tried that during WW II and it did not work out so well. When there were Army and Marines engaged in the same battle, the Army insisted on invading at the same time (but in a different location) as the Marines.

In Okinawa, for example, the Army invaded southern Okinawa at the same time the Marines invaded northern Okinawa. The Army quickly got into lots of trouble, and the Marines had to be pulled out of northern Okinawa and sent south to provide support for the Army.

Another example is the battle for Saipan. Marine Corps General Holland "Hollin' Mad" Smith relieved Army General Ralph Smith of his command over the 27th Infantry Division because he was dissatisfied with his unit's performance.

Even during WW I, in the battle of Belleau Wood, the Marines had to take command of the Army to get them to move forward. Keep in mind, that during WW I the Marine Corps was under the command of the Army while they fought on land.

Except for the special forces and other highly trained military units in the Army, the Marine Corps generally considers the Army to be second-rate. This is primarily because the Army lacks the training the Marines get.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Fantastic story and SO like a Marine. I could actually see this happening. Actually, I think I'm the exact same way, lol!
LOL I still see that flabby gut bouncing with each step. He was running rivers of sweat within minutes and wheezing like a steam engine. LOL
We had a line of cars following us. catcalls galore and he had his head down chugging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies