Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Our li'l man is growing up!
That's basically it. I'm just tired off the left's envy driven agenda. We shouldn't be talking about how we carve up the pie to pass out to everyone. We should be talking about how we can make some more pies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I tend to think the same. Although there are a couple of social issues that I personally would like to know how my President stands, I would actually welcome one that concentrates primarily on fiscal issues and less on social. Quite frankly, I am tired of the "nanny" state both from a left and right perspective. Both tend to have their own social issues that they insist upon for the good of the people and I find myself moving more and more libertarian with respect to social issues as these various politicians tell me they know what's best for the "people".

The Republican party is in an interesting evolution right now. We see some of the younger candidates less concerned with social issues and more in tune with the fiscal issues concerning our country. Of course, you will always have the hard right, much like the left has the hard left. This election will not hinge on social issues, it will be all about the fiscal ones and the debates thus far have shown most of the candidates moving away from intractable social issues, well except for the nutty Bachmann.
I would be glad if we just didn't have social issues in the debate. We should overturn roe vs. wade, but also have a national policy of some abortion rights for rape, incest, and the life/health of the mother. If some states want to expand that right, go for it. If some states want to leave that as the state policy, go for it. No federal funding for abortions. Basically take the issue off the national stage and return it to the states.

I have no problem with gay marriage or polygamy. Who you marry is your business, not mine.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Johnson's claim to fame, his "neighbors dog" joke, was stolen from Rush's morning show. Even Rush says the it looks like he has become the prep source for the "debaters".

Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
That's basically it. I'm just tired off the left's envy driven agenda. We shouldn't be talking about how we carve up the pie to pass out to everyone. We should be talking about how we can make some more pies.
Did you hear the Ryan interview on NPR yesterday too?

He said almost the exact thing. I thought it was a good interview.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I would be glad if we just didn't have social issues in the debate. We should overturn roe vs. wade, but also have a national policy of some abortion rights for rape, incest, and the life/health of the mother. If some states want to expand that right, go for it. If some states want to leave that as the state policy, go for it. No federal funding for abortions. Basically take the issue off the national stage and return it to the states.

I have no problem with gay marriage or polygamy. Who you marry is your business, not mine.
I find myself trending more and more libertarian. But, yes, social issues need to be left to the states. Right now I just want a President that understands macroeconomics and is focused on economic issues.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Really? I've been lurking a lot longer than I've been posting and have read your posts. Doesn't seem like a lot of drift.

Anyway, I think there are a couple reasons:

1) unfamiliarity, where has his name been, where was he for the other three debates (not invited?), etc.

2) chance of being nominated = 0.01%

3) chance of beating Obama if he is nominated = 0.001%

4) chance of passing a balanced budget in 2013 if he is nominated and elected = 0.0001%

Don't blame me, I wanted Mitch Daniels to run. Liked Paul Ryan's interview on NPR this afternoon too...
I really like Gary. More fiscally conservative than Romney, more socially tolerant than Obama. If Gary gets a 5% or better this time, Libertarian Party qualifies as Major Party & Gary gets $90 million from Feds for his 2016 campaign, when I expect him to win. He sides with the majority on all major issues, cares about the 100% equally. Very fair, hard-working, abnormally honest (ask Gary anything!), kind & smart.

A rich guy who doesn't worship money & no big ego. Lives frugally. He will present a balanced budget, then the Congress looks it over & if they add too much spending, Gary lines out corruption & waste.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I really like Gary. More fiscally conservative than Romney, more socially tolerant than Obama. If Gary gets a 5% or better this time, Libertarian Party qualifies as Major Party & Gary gets $90 million from Feds for his 2016 campaign, when I expect him to win. He sides with the majority on all major issues, cares about the 100% equally. Very fair, hard-working, abnormally honest (ask Gary anything!), kind & smart.

A rich guy who doesn't worship money & no big ego. Lives frugally. He will present a balanced budget, then the Congress looks it over & if they add too much spending, Gary lines out corruption & waste.
GO GARY!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
I'm wishing Gary success because its long overdue that Americans have viable alternatives to the tweedle dee and tweedle dum parties.

Gary is going to have to be as confident, tough & inspiring as Sheridan, especially when one is up against a duopoly.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies