Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 AM

954 posts, read 1,281,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
For many people it does. Someone posted a thread about a Black college student and members immediately started throwing around the word "ghetto"

How often do you hear people refer to White college kids as "ghetto"?
I dunno, I've never heard either black or white college kids referred to as ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
I dunno, I've never heard either black or white college kids referred to as ghetto.
Then you aren't reading many of the threads on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
he just seems like a stupid college kid... they are a dime a dozen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'd actually have to agree with you on that one.... How amusing to hear some ghetto trash talk about the 2nd amendment in one breath then seconds later they proclaim that they don't believe in the US Constitution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
It's amusement, extreme amusement and entertainment watching some fool try to intimidate someone else... a lot like someone else tried to do. I work so I don't have to live in a ghetto neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
You said ghetto had a racial connotation. Perhaps your non-sequitur into the N word had an implication you did not intend. Maybe the post was moving a bit too fast for you. Slow down, you'll make more sense.
No, obviously you can't follow a simple paragraph, let's try to help the "special" posters.

You implied that I said calling someone "ghetto" could get you beat up, now where exactly did I say that???...correct, NOWHERE.

I plainly stated calling someone a "ni66er" could get you beat up and that the word ni66er had a racial connotation.

However in an earlier an unrelated post, I did state that the word "ghetto" had a racial connotation, which is absolutely true, however again that was a totally different post.

Two very different things posted at different times which is apparent for the able readers.

Apparently those who can't follow along will consider it a "non-sequitur", but for those that can follow along, it was a totally different set of sentences.

Last edited by reconmark; 09-27-2011 at 12:38 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
No, obviously you can't follow a simple paragraph, let's try to help the "special" posters.

You implied that I said calling someone "ghetto" could get you beat up, now where exactly did I say that???...correct, NOWHERE.

I plainly stated calling someone a "ni66er" could get you beat up and that the word ni66er had a racial connotation.

However in an earlier an unrelated post, I did state that the word "ghetto" had a racial connotation, which is absolutely true, however again that was a totally different post.

Two very different things posted at different times which is apparent for the able readers.

Apparently those who can't follow along will consider it a "non-sequitur", but for those that can follow along, it was a totally different set of sentences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark
Your problem is your ignorance of the racial connotation of that word, as I said before; you go into a crowd of black people and start calling them ni66ers.
I see a comma and a semi-colon, but the only period I see is at the end of the sentence.

Like I said, slow down, you'll start making sense. I can't be blamed for misinterpreting your poor writing.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 AM

The Racial slur data Base.

The Racial Slur Database

Slur Represents

Ghetto Blacks Used to describe Black urban "Ebonic" syntax; can be used on anyone who
speaks in such a manner.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Seems you have a problem with reasoning skills.

So for no reason a girl is offended because a group of black girls walk past her, the black girls don't look at her, speak to her, or touch her, yet they're mere presence is enough that this girl will proclaim the place (which she was never in) as dirty and ghetto and direct it towards the girls that walked past her.

The black girls threw back the insult that had been leveled at them for no reason, and this is proof to you that they had no problem with the word??..
Non-ghetto types would have not gotten into it and throw back insults.

Also who started referring to tacky places, clothes, hair as "ghetto" in the first place? It wouldn't surprise me if it was blacks themselves that invented the use of that word as an adjective. Sort of a replacement for "slumming".

I don't see the racial connotation, it's just a word that's become overused and means something similar to "trashy" and when someone says "trashy" is that an insult to whites?

I think the girls might have assumed the insult was leveled at them when it wasn't. But maybe the girls didn't have the look of educated well-dressed more elegant types and the insult wasn't hurled at them but was somewhat about them?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Then you aren't reading many of the threads on this forum
That's nice, but... The best you could say is that it is a catch all for all non-white people, since white people tend to be described as trailer trash.

What can I say, out here in the parts of California I've lived, ghetto doesn't have a racial connotation.

Ghetto is ghetto, whether it's Oroville, Compton, or Salinas.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
Quote:
So before the incident, calling them ghetto was not okay, but now that it's been confirmed, calling them ghetto is okay? Looks like the friend called it right. She should be lucky to have such a perceptive friend, who knows what might have happened inside the club. .
Her friend made the call based on the race of the crowd. From the OP, the girls didn't make any comments to her friend prior to her friend insulting them. Her assessment was based purely on race.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I see a comma and a semi-colon, but the only period I see is at the end of the sentence.

Like I said, slow down, you'll start making sense. I can't be blamed for misinterpreting your poor writing.
If a comma and a semi-colon can overwhelm your reading comprehension abilities, you have more problems than punctuation can explain.

Maybe you should slow down and read slowly, then you won't be confused enough to connect separate posts.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Her friend made the call based on the race of the crowd. From the OP, the girls didn't make any comments to her friend prior to her friend insulting them. Her assessment was based purely on race.
Who are you to say what her friend intended?

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

The intent of the friend dictates whether or not it was a racist comment, not your personal definition of the word. I might add that the only people whose race was identified were the 5 girls, not everyone in the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies