Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you think that how the police treated the "protesters" was riotous on their part but that the "protesters" doing their thing was not riotous. I wonder how people can talk about the police brutality and avoid what the "protesters" were doing.

I would guess that you wanted to quote what I said without listening to what happened when West was ranting against anything not progressive (politically speaking). You need to see that video to see just what really was going on at the "protest" meeting. I bet you don't have the guts to watch it because of the source I took it from.
Your thread title mentioned a 'riot' - I was simply asking where it occurred 'cause I sure didn't see one in the video you provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 01:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Your thread title mentioned a 'riot' - I was simply asking where it occurred 'cause I sure didn't see one in the video you provided.
I guess you failed to watch enough of that video to get to the funny part. Oh yes, you know the part where the group of useful idiots repeating his every word failed to stop when he was thanking them for being there. They were started on their second repeat when some of them caught on to what they were doing.

Unless this thing turns into a real riot soon the planners will back off and let it ride. They wanted it to be an "American fall" to compare with the Arab Spring and so far it has failed but there seems to be a lot of college students whose semester hasn't begun yet.

Have those useful idiots done anything to compare to the Egyptian riots, yet?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
At first I thought you said Cornel Wild and I thought, man, that guy is surely dead isn't he?

Cornel West sports a 1960s "Afro" hairdo. Who could take him serious?

I can assure you that Cornel West takes Cornel West VERY seriously!

LOL!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
Where's the riot? I don't see one.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I can assure you that Cornel West takes Cornel West VERY seriously!

LOL!
That bunch of 20 somethings who were parroting his every word must take him very seriously. Catch that video and get a good laugh.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Where's the riot? I don't see one.
I think that the planners of this thing that Cornel West called the American fall will soon tire of what they planned to be like the Egyptian riots. Did you make it to the end of the video to see how that bunch of useful idiots made complete asses of themselves?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:54 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I don't care if 50,000 "over-educated / under-employed" Borg show up to chant in unison, I still would like to know how they have such free time and how this is going to improve their situation in life.

Americans don't have the free time to do this. They are worked to death, barely scraping by. If they get so much as a misdemeanor they are excluded from all types of jobs for the rest of their lives. There is a good chance the police will abuse them.

Why would a working adult go out and protest? They don't have the free time, health care, and job security that European countries have.

You're bragging about how crappy US citizens have it....LOL

Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Americans don't have the free time to do this. They are worked to death, barely scraping by.
Uhuh.

So instead of trying to work on themselves with their endless days of free time, trying to train, learn, look for employment, volunteer, or even *network* (vomit), they've each decided that the thing most likely to mitigate the condition of being "over-educated and under-employed" is to camp out on the street looking for most of the world like idealistic hipsters who didn't get chosen to appear in an indie rock music video and come up with witty slogans and borg-like chants? So preposterous...
Quote:
Why would a working adult go out and protest?
Why indeed? Protest against what? Against choosing an unmarketable and esoteric major? Against voluntarily and over a period of years racking up massive school debt? Against failing to do the things it takes to improve and become employable? Against being raised in such privilege and affluence that it's necessary to "blame the system" for perceived transgressions and invent a cause rather than accept individual responsibility?

"We have jobs," said P.J. O'Rourke's friend.
Quote:
They don't have the free time, health care, and job security that European countries have.
So is the mob lobbying for the US to introduce a collection of Europe-styled Federal policies? Things like employees being prevented by law from working past 35 hours a week (regardless of whether they'd prefer to work longer), or single-payer disease management, or mandatory national worker's unions?

Are you saying working adults should work during the day, then when they get off work they should head down to wall st for the evening? Or should they be able to walk off the job with no repercussions to camp out on wall st day and night for a while?
Quote:
You're bragging about how crappy US citizens have it.
You're bragging about a group of simpleton students who are mad at the fact that things aren't going be to handed to them on a platter, who somehow think running around on wall st is going to best ensure their success, who may have made poor educational choices, and who have failed to articulate a clear, coherent, and realistic message.

If I didn't have a job, my job would be trying to find a job. It wouldn't be blaming everyone else. It wouldn't be making a bohemian pilgrimage with my hipster buddies to wall st to show the world how naive, simplistic, and over-privileged I am.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM

21 posts, read 37,373 times
Just to quickly reply. It's called the people's mike. They are not allowed to have any kind of PA system or use a bullhorn. This is their way around it. ETA: The mike there is media not to help them hear.

I've been following the protest and am going to protest in my own city. I'm not a hippy. I am a 31 year old mother of 3, a small business owner and I am fed up with how this country is going.

Also, many of the people there do have jobs, families and are going back and forth from the protest to their responsibilities. If you watch the live feed @http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution people talk to the camera and will tell you about themselves and why they protest. There are Republicans, Libertarians, Democrats, war veterans and everyone else in between there. They are these people: We Are the 99 Percent

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaciousrei View Post
Just to quickly reply. It's called the people's mike. They are not allowed to have any kind of PA system or use a bullhorn. This is their way around it. ETA: The mike there is media not to help them hear.

I've been following the protest and am going to protest in my own city. I'm not a hippy. I am a 31 year old mother of 3, a small business owner and I am fed up with how this country is going.

Also, many of the people there do have jobs, families and are going back and forth from the protest to their responsibilities. If you watch the live feed @http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution people talk to the camera and will tell you about themselves and why they protest. There are Republicans, Libertarians, Democrats, war veterans and everyone else in between there. They are these people: We Are the 99 Percent
I would like to invite you to watch the video I had in the OP. You may get a kick out of what was going on and it wouldn't take a lot of your time, if you get it done before you start your own protest. Seriously, watch it and get a laugh at the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies