Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I can never seem to get it straight...

So when is it weather and when is it climate again?
Nevermind the fact that a high pressure system from Spain moved up to the British Isles. No, it's the ozone layer being stripped away, caused by humans. Nevermind also that the sun is been very active this year and we've already been hit by several X-class solar flares this year. But, I'm sure some scientists can find a way to connect CO2 with CMEs being ejected from the sun somehow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Basking in 27 degree heat here today, it's like mid summer!
80.6? Had to find the formula and not sure I am correct on the math. Thanks for making me use a pen and paper.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
80.6? Had to find the formula and not sure I am correct on the math. Thanks for making me use a pen and paper.
Online Conversion - Temperature Conversion

Very useful site. Suggest you bookmark it like I have. Takes the guesswork out of converting temps

Old 10-02-2011, 06:46 PM

475 posts, read 814,578 times
It will get WARMER!!!..It will get COLDER!!! It's the Al Gore monthly flip flop.

WASHINGTON — Scientists say an unprecedented ozone "hole" opened up above the Arctic last year, caused by an unusually prolonged period of extremely low temperatures. A NASA-led study says the amount of ozone destroyed was comparable to that seen in some years in the Antarctic, where an ozone "hole" has formed each spring since the mid 1980s.
Scientists from 19 institutions in nine countries, including Canada and the United States, were involved in the research.
They found that at some altitudes, the cold period in the Arctic lasted more than 30 days longer in 2011 than in any previously studied Arctic winter, leading to the unprecedented ozone loss.
This year's ozone loss occurred over an area considerably smaller than that of the Antarctic ozone holes.
That's because the Arctic polar vortex, a persistent large-scale cyclone within which the ozone loss takes place, was about 40 per cent smaller than a typical Antarctic vortex.

Cold causing record Ozone loss over Arctic: scientists - CTV News

Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Al Gore invented the internet and knows why climate changes.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Well if Al said it it must be true..

Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Britain and France have registered record high temps for early October...

Maybe the ozone layer over the Arctic is also becoming a problem...

Unprecedented Arctic ozone loss in 2011 : Nature : Nature Publishing Group (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature10556.html - broken link)
What they are not telling you is that in order for ozone to be created there must be UV radiation. In other words, no sun light, no ozone. Now take a look at when and where they are claiming ozone holes appear. In the Arctic they always take their measurements from January to April. While the Antarctic measurements are always taken from August to October. They are only taking their measurements in locations where the sun has not shined for months on end. During the summer months, in both locations, while the sun is shining 24 hours a day, the ozone holes are filled in by the naturally occurring chemical process. But they do not want you to know that fact.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
What they are not telling you is that in order for ozone to be created there must be UV radiation. In other words, no sun light, no ozone. Now take a look at when and where they are claiming ozone holes appear. In the Arctic they always take their measurements from January to April. While the Antarctic measurements are always taken from August to October. They are only taking their measurements in locations where the sun has not shined for months on end. During the summer months, in both locations, while the sun is shining 24 hours a day, the ozone holes are filled in by the naturally occurring chemical process. But they do not want you to know that fact.
But since they always do that, it does give them the opportunity to compare the data from year to year. Plus, if there es enough ozone during the summer anyway, why measure it then? Just to be able to say everything is fine as there is no hole?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I can never seem to get it straight...

So when is it weather and when is it climate again?
Ask the one who started this thread, it is about the weather obviously, thus what I said was perfectly on topic

Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 AM

351 posts, read 975,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
just curious. I dont follow the partisan issues on this particular topic, but mid-south is getting shorter summers...any explanations from scientists???

Its already chilly in S tennessee.
I'm not a scientist, but I've read many articles that indicate that climate change will result in more extremes, not necessarily just more mundane heat. On average, the temperature increase will barely be noticable to any person (1 degree cannot be felt), but a small temperature increase can generate a large feedback mechanisms in the environment.

All you have to do is look at the climate in the south and southwest over the last year. Remember the fires in AZ and TX? Remember the droughts, remember the record temperatures? The southwest had a 100 year deep freeze last winter (from Arizona all the way to east Texas, and Texas has record high temperatures all summer. Such rare weather all happening within just the last year is an indication to me that the extremes are here and they will only get worse.

To answer your question regarding government partisan environmentalism, it's pretty easy. Generally speaking, the Republican party has deep roots in oil and energy based resources. Any Republican on the ballot will encourage drilling for more oil and natural gas, and it's a conflict of interests to be both an environmentalist and a proponent of energy exploration. Even Obama is now on board with more off-shore drilling.

Obama announces steps to speed oil drilling - CNN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies