Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If you can mop a floor, you can probably paint an automobile, or replace/repair the front quarter panel, or weld something.
If there were enough jobs painting automobiles, replacing/repairing front quarter panels or welding to go around, I wouldn't be participating in this conversation. I think the problem that many are having in today's America is that good paying menial jobs have ceased to exist. That's why you see some people mopping floors -- the choice is that, public assitance or starvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yeah shame on me for taking pride in my ability to earn a decent wage.

If you can't pull off at least 20k a year and you're over 25 in America that's sort of pathetic.
I do not have any shame on you for making a decent wage. I have a problem with you putting down people who don't, and you just did it again in this quote. I have made under 20K a year for the last 5 years and I am 36 years old. I do not consider myself pathetic. I pay all my bills on time and have never been on any government assistance programs. I even managed to save well over $10,000 on my salary over the last 5 years. The welfare class are the ones who are pathetic IMO.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
This was a silly game. In real life if I were THAT broke & had a child (hence the field trip question) I'd most likely be getting some form of government assistance, especially where food is concerned. Secondly, also I wouldn't ignore college loans. Again if you're THAT broke the best thing to do is call to see if you can either get a deferment or get your payments lowered. The other things like helping out a friend, renting a storage, paying the pet fee (why have a pet if you can't afford to buy your own food) or playing the lottery, etc aren't really necessities. Most companies don't charge you $200 to turn your services back on; the most I've ever seen is $60.
Either way I ended the month w/ $242

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Why would it make me any happier to learn that you have contempt for the rich as well as the poor? I wish you didn't have contempt for either.

Can't we just work together to support policies in which everyone (including those of us in the middle class) get a reasonable deal? High school drop outs who do consistent and reliable menial labor that is commesurate with their abilities should be able to provide for themselves. (That way, we, the middle class, don't have to.) And obviously subsidies for the super rich are something all but a handful of fools dislike.

I don't disdain those who are not as smart as me or not willing to work as hard. I don't want to support them, but I do want them to be able to support themselves. I also don't disdain those who are smarter than me and willing to work harder. Good for them. I don't want to give them any of my money, but I wish them well.
You might want to climb down from that high horse because I did not write any of that. Nowhere did I suggest that I am particularly opposed to helping the poor.

I simply pointed out that most of us make higher wages. Why? Because we do the right thing, stay in school and get an education. Hardly an unreasonable requirement. That's why most of aren't poor.

We're also not rich because we don't make making a tremendous amount of money our only goal.

Your post simply serves to point out the vast contempt the ordinary American is held in by a certain segment of society. Even our most basic achievements are deemed luck rather than hard work. That's absurd.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not have any shame on you for making a decent wage. I have a problem with you putting down people who don't, and you just did it again in this quote. I have made under 20K a year for the last 5 years and I am 36 years old. I do not consider myself pathetic. I pay all my bills on time and have never been on any government assistance programs. I even managed to save well over $10,000 on my salary over the last 5 years. The welfare class are the ones who are pathetic IMO.
I'll stop putting them down when I stopped being asked to support them. Most people making under 20k qualify for all sorts of welfare including medicaid, food stamps and the EITC. It is pathetic to work for so little when you are a first world citizen and have at least a high school diploma.

Shrug.

I get tired of being asked to emphathize with people who can't command even a basic wage. Most people who make so little do so because they have no qualifications or lack the hard work to find better wages. Yeah that's sort of pathetic.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'll stop putting them down when I stopped being asked to support them. Most people making under 20k qualify for all sorts of welfare including medicaid, food stamps and the EITC. It is pathetic to work for so little when you are a first world citizen and have at least a high school diploma.

Shrug.

I get tired of being asked to emphathize with people who can't command even a basic wage. Most people who make so little do so because they have no qualifications or lack the hard work to find better wages. Yeah that's sort of pathetic.
Fair enough. So in general, you and I basically agree. I do not even get the eitc as I have no kids. I am supporting the welfare class too. Personally, I did finish high school. I am just lazy, and since I make more than enough to get by I accept what I make.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem I have is that these entry level min wage jobs have turned into "careers" for some people. That was NEVER the intent. It was an entry into the labor market, not your job for life.

If all you aspire in life is to flip burgers then no, you will never have a decent living.
But that's your choice. And don't cry.."but this recession...". What about 2005 and before ?
Why do you have burger flippers working for 5-8 years still flipping burgers and then try to raise a family and complain ?
Please tell me how you know the "intent" of these entry level minimum wage jobs. Where does one find this information? I think the jobs exist b/c they need to be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
A very true point of economics . People are paid based on the need of their jobs and the relative skill level involved.
If that were true, day care workers would get waaay more than $10/hr. (And that was with a bonus for having a college degree.)

Quote:
Honestly people..next time you go into a fast food place take a good hard look at the people working there. Sometimes it seems the only mature adult there is the manager.

Those 4 cashiers gabbing while you wait on line..
That drive though cashier that snarls and practically makes you get out of the car to reach her unstretched hand....
The servers that give you the wrong food even if you only ordered 2 items....
The cashier that can't give correct change when it's right there on the register ?
Aren't they people too?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Aren't they people too?
Sure but IMO not deserving of $20/hour.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
Quote:
If all you aspire in life is to flip burgers then no, you will never have a decent living.
But that's your choice. And don't cry.."but this recession...". What about 2005 and before ?
Why do you have burger flippers working for 5-8 years still flipping burgers and then try to raise a family and complain ?
Say this to yourself every day, "People just do the best they can." A little compassion would actually help your understanding.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Sure but IMO not deserving of $20/hour.
Who said they were? Not me. Not anyone on this thread, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies