Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,195,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then you should support the right of all Americans to buy homes they can afford and thereby escape rent slavery which hinders saving and investment.
Rent Slavery. I see that the victim mentality has invented yet another concept. Please. Home ownership is not impossible. It takes some discipline, dedication and persistence, but it is not impossible. And it is certainly NOT a "right". LOL how preposterous.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM

529 posts, read 364,825 times
I live off my wife's 8$ an hour job maybe 35 hours a week and my very small sum I get for SSI each month...it can be done but it requires driving a vehicle that's 13 years old not having anything new and stretching every dollar as far as it can go.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then they should support the right of all Americans to buy homes they can afford, thereby allowing burger flippers to escape rent slavery, stabilizing their housing costs, and being able to live on their low wages without taxpayer support.
United States Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I sure as heck don't see the right of homeownership on the list.....try again.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,756,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's their own bad choices. I wouldn't have the credit card or make those kinds of purchases if I made $9 an hour.

In fact I've made less than that and didn't have serious financial problems.
Maybe, just maybe you had the credit card BEFORE you were reduced to making $9.00 per hour.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Honestly people..next time you go into a fast food place take a good hard look at the people working there. Sometimes it seems the only mature adult there is the manager.

Those 4 cashiers gabbing while you wait on line..
That drive though cashier that snarls and practically makes you get out of the car to reach her unstretched hand....
The servers that give you the wrong food even if you only ordered 2 items....
The cashier that can't give correct change when it's right there on the register ?
Not where I live. Here is it mostly senior citizens and working moms.
Teenagers can't buy jobs in my town.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,244,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
"Most Americans know the facts about low-wage work, but many have been lucky enough to avoid actually having to live on $8 or $9 an hour.
A computer game called Spent gives you the opportunity to see what it would be like to walk in a poor person’s shoes."

SPENT

New Website Guides You Through the Homeless Experience

The non-profit that helped design the game opts for a "tough love" approach to choices:

After trying to shop for digital groceries, however, that fact is punctuated by comments like “With these groceries, you’re going to [have a hard time].” If you elect to eat a cheap burger rather than a salad you’re told, “Perhaps that’s why low-income workers like you are more likely to be overweight.”

Would you be motivated to donate after playing the game or are you put off by the underlying agenda?
If its 9 dollars an hour or welfare, i would rather be working

Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
the number one thing is to not have kids before you can really afford them without a steady paycheck.

Especially with technology today, you can postpone kids till you have a healthy bank account in your 50's. If being unemployed for some time over these last couple years has thought me is to not have kids and a family until my 50's. And if i can't afford it then, then no kids.
And if you lose your job after you have them? What then?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:18 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,972,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I wish there was a website that let people understand the challenges in meeting $50 or $100 or $200 per hour in business overhead costs, including wages.
Then they couldn't blame "the boss" saying he was rich and they have nothing!!

Most have no idea about "Business Overhead Cost". I'm speaking of small-business owner's, not the likes of Wal-Mart and such.........

Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,972,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet Gov. Brown just signed a Dream act so that anyone who comes here illegally can get financial aid from California so they can be added to those unfortunate Americans graduating with no jobs. He's using taxpayer money to entice more people to flood into that state and take money for college and then they will have the jobs.
Somehow, he must not be listening to the Wall Street Protesters, isn't this one of their issues, no jobs out of college.

Way to go Gov Brown, let's make more non-working college kids.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM

38,295 posts, read 22,312,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
"Most Americans know the facts about low-wage work, but many have been lucky enough to avoid actually having to live on $8 or $9 an hour.
A computer game called Spent gives you the opportunity to see what it would be like to walk in a poor person’s shoes."

SPENT

New Website Guides You Through the Homeless Experience

The non-profit that helped design the game opts for a "tough love" approach to choices:

After trying to shop for digital groceries, however, that fact is punctuated by comments like “With these groceries, you’re going to [have a hard time].” If you elect to eat a cheap burger rather than a salad you’re told, “Perhaps that’s why low-income workers like you are more likely to be overweight.”

Would you be motivated to donate after playing the game or are you put off by the underlying agenda?
Living at the poverty level is never an easy thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies