Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,613,229 times

Advertisements

sure i can but americans have their own version of survival.
it includes eating out, cell phone cable and a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,546,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There's no such thing as a right to buy anything.
Who comes up with this crap?
It was the enforcement of this 'everyone should have a home' policy that led to subprime mortgages. Dumb dumb dumb.

You're saying that a willing seller and a willing buyer do not have a right to execute a contract?

Whatever happened to capitalism and free markets?

The idea that lenders should be required to front money so everyone should have a home is quite contrary to capitalism and free markets.

The idea that a willing seller should have the right to sell to a willing buyer something the buyer can afford sounds very capitalistic to me.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,084,279 times
It's not at all accurate. I'm sure it's well intended tho'.
We ARE "low-income".
Seriously, a yardsale?
And they don't factor in (or I haven't seen it) the EIC tax return. (Out of which I pay my car insurance premium, car inspection, and a few months ahead on rent, and this year will be getting health insurance)
And things like cell phone bills and cable can be negotiated. You can have the minimum package and if you get behind, they will often work out a payment plan.
And things like vet bills can often times be paid on a payment plan if you're a customer in good standing.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,546,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How very true and I wonder how many actually realize that.
The middle class is supporting those above and those below them and still have to support themselves.

Then they should support the right of all Americans to buy homes they can afford, thereby allowing burger flippers to escape rent slavery, stabilizing their housing costs, and being able to live on their low wages without taxpayer support.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 PM

773 posts, read 505,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Then they should support the right of all Americans to buy homes they can afford, thereby allowing burger flippers to escape rent slavery, stabilizing their housing costs, and being able to live on their low wages without taxpayer support.
A house can be bought on minimum wage. See my previous post you ignored. Stop playing the victim.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,686,185 times
Quote:
There is no RIGHT that you are entitled to buy a home.
Why should middle class Americans have to foot that bill ?

Go after the homebuilders and supply companies. Sorry but prices of commodities are going up and cement and wood aren't cheap anymore.

But that's not individuals fault yet you want them to support the "right" to a home for everyone ?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,540,224 times
Quote:
That would be counter productive. What do you think would happen if burger flippers could afford homes? How long do you think they'd be able to afford them?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,540,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
A house can be bought on minimum wage. See my previous post you ignored. Stop playing the victim.
Why would anyone on minimum wage want to buy a home? They're not savings plans and if you're making minimum wage your market there sucks. Why would you lock yourself into a market like that?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 AM

227 posts, read 141,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Eleanora, where are you getting that from? Like you, I have worked hard and positioned myself well in life so that I can live a far better life than $9 an hour would afford. However, I'm still concerned for those who have to make it on those wages. Perhaps it's because I come from an impoverished area, and I have many poor relations.

But why do you think you have to be angry at anyone? Can't you be concerned for people who have to make due on less than you?

The problem is the "concern" that you have will impact me financialy. So please spare me the concern you have. Donate to charities and give to food banks so the concern you have does not cost me any more money. Typical lefty that "feels" things should be a certain way.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,902,864 times
Let's see... We live in a pretty expensive state.. (NJ)
I make $11.50 an hour. Partner makes $9.80 an hour.

-We pay our rent in full every month
-We have 1 new car and we make the payment of that every month
-Don't forget car insurance, too
-We pay for health insurance via his job
-We have cell phones
-We have internet (upgraded to higher performance, too)
-We go grocery shopping every week.
-Oh, we're also paying off one more credit card.

Let's see.. we don't make much...we aren't on any goverment support....we pay for health insurance...
and get this:
We even put money away each paycheck!

Learning to live within your means is a great accomplishment. People complain here all the time how they dont have money..until I explain how to live within your means and their mouths drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies