Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have made $9.50 an hour for the last 5 years. I have two credit cards that I use daily. I have never once not paid off the entire balance each month. This is with a car and my own apartment. Living on $9.50 an hour is easy.
I think it also depends on where you live, which is why I don't support a national minimum wage. You can live on 9.50 an hour in certain areas if you don't live like a Roman, but other areas it would be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think it also depends on where you live, which is why I don't support a national minimum wage. You can live on 9.50 an hour in certain areas if you don't live like a Roman, but other areas it would be difficult.
True.....I would not be able to do it in Manhatten or San Francisco. Here in Las Vegas it is very cheap to live. My apartment only runs $365 a month, and that includes cable, phone and internet.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
"Most Americans know the facts about low-wage work, but many have been lucky enough to avoid actually having to live on $8 or $9 an hour.
A computer game called Spent gives you the opportunity to see what it would be like to walk in a poor person’s shoes."

SPENT
I don't know what kind of clueless moron put this game together - I'm sure they were based upon "national averages" or some such popycock. But unless you are the world's most inept server, you are going to make WAY more than the equivalent of $8 per hour. Even at IHOP, for cripe's sake.

Also, where *I* live, you can get an apartment for $300 a month, so that $700+ per month figure is way out of line too.

Not to mention the fact that *I* am childfree so I don't have to worry about some inane school play *or* sliding into a parked car....LOL

That's where I stopped, because it was so darn unrealistic.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
It's not "luck" that many of us earn more than nine bucks an hour. It's hard work and preparation. I resent having my hard earned ability to command decent wages lumped in with an idiot high school drop out who did not do the same.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Sam, I have already stated that I'm not just advocating tripling the minimum wage and being done with it. I think the results of doing that would be more complicated than you are outlining, but it would do more harm than good (particularly to small business owners).
I know that's an oversimplification, my point is that by raising the minimum wage you will not force people in higher positions to accept lower pay or face the loss of customers as people decide to cook their own burgers. The economy would simply adjust itself to the new value of a dollar. You may not have a problem paying more for goods because you are not hurting for money, but your salary is what it is because the market has brought it up to that amount. The pay in your field would probably increase as well as prices went up and then we'd be back where we started.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Nope, that is not necessary either. I have Cox digital cable, internet, phone etc. I drink only bottled water and drink rum and cokes daily.
Guess it depends on where you live. Apartment rates here went through the roof after hurricane Katrina which forced many evacuees into this area.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,975 times
I tried that Spent site, and I made it through the month with $366 left. And all this time I thought I sucked with money.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
It's not "luck" that many of us earn more than nine bucks an hour. It's hard work and preparation. I resent having my hard earned ability to command decent wages lumped in with an idiot high school drop out who did not do the same.
Eleanora, where are you getting that from? Like you, I have worked hard and positioned myself well in life so that I can live a far better life than $9 an hour would afford. However, I'm still concerned for those who have to make it on those wages. Perhaps it's because I come from an impoverished area, and I have many poor relations.

But why do you think you have to be angry at anyone? Can't you be concerned for people who have to make due on less than you?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
That "game" is ridiculous. Why did I pay for car insurance and then pay for the damage I caused in an accident? How come I stared out paying an overdue bill that I didn't take out? I'm sure there is a school waiver for parents who can't afford their kid's trip fee. What rigged, stupid thing this game is.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Wow, aren't you special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies