Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,508,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
You probably haven't been reading my other posts, as there are so many that float through here on a daily basis, but I've already explained my back story over the last couple of days in other posts.. I have lived on $400 a month, I have lived in tough neighborhoods, and I know there are thousands of others out there like myself. What I'm pissed off about is that the system is rigged to allow people who are smarter, more clever, more healthy to take over the land, buy up housing, and build, while making the rest of the world slave away to live on their land, live in their houses (rent), and buy their food. We don't have a choice. None at all. I could go on about any number of things I believe are corrupt about the way things are set up, but I'm riding down the road, trucking, 80 hours a week. I won't have internet service for a while (spotty service for $200/month?!), so those grievances will have to wait.

No one owes me food or shelter?! Check my reply to BiggJoe, right above this one. I really hope to start a thread on this, soon.
I'm confused. In post #145 you say:
Quote:
The only thing that barely worked was sending my husband into trucking, which meant he was always gone from home, working 80+ hours a week for about $700 a week (about $9/hr, no overtime, no holidays, no vacation and, still, no health insurance.
Yet in your response to me you state:
Quote:
I could go on about any number of things I believe are corrupt about the way things are set up, but I'm riding down the road, trucking, 80 hours a week.
So are you the homeschooling spouse of an 80 hr/week trucker or are you said trucker? Also, if you can barely make ends meet why the heck do you have a $200/mo cell phone bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,205,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post

So are you the homeschooling spouse of an 80 hr/week trucker or are you said trucker? Also, if you can barely make ends meet why the heck do you have a $200/mo cell phone bill?
Hold on. Waiting for better service. I'll be back in town in a few hours.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,509,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem I have is that these entry level min wage jobs have turned into "careers" for some people. That was NEVER the intent. It was an entry into the labor market, not your job for life.

If all you aspire in life is to flip burgers then no, you will never have a decent living.
But that's your choice. And don't cry.."but this recession...". What about 2005 and before ?
Why do you have burger flippers working for 5-8 years still flipping burgers and then try to raise a family and complain ?
Agreed.

[although an In-N-Out Burger store manager can make a comfortable salary comparable to that of a college graduate]

Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,090,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
"Most Americans know the facts about low-wage work, but many have been lucky enough to avoid actually having to live on $8 or $9 an hour.
A computer game called Spent gives you the opportunity to see what it would be like to walk in a poor person’s shoes."

SPENT

New Website Guides You Through the Homeless Experience

The non-profit that helped design the game opts for a "tough love" approach to choices:

After trying to shop for digital groceries, however, that fact is punctuated by comments like “With these groceries, you’re going to [have a hard time].†If you elect to eat a cheap burger rather than a salad you’re told, “Perhaps that’s why low-income workers like you are more likely to be overweight.â€

Would you be motivated to donate after playing the game or are you put off by the underlying agenda?
No thanks.

I prefer Monopoly.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,090,252 times
Quote:
The problem I have is that these entry level min wage jobs have turned into "careers" for some people. That was NEVER the intent. It was an entry into the labor market, not your job for life.

If all you aspire in life is to flip burgers then no, you will never have a decent living.
But that's your choice. And don't cry.."but this recession...". What about 2005 and before ?
Why do you have burger flippers working for 5-8 years still flipping burgers and then try to raise a family and complain ?
Because, staying stupid is also a choice.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,205,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post

Okay, nevermind. In a town with limited service, at the moment. My husband is the driver, and I have been with him the last few months because of an ugly situation at the home involving my dad. My kids are now 16 and 19; one is going to a community college, and the other has his GED (they will be moving on soon, thank goodness, because I can't take the insanity and chaos of this life much longer).

The cell phone is the only thing we indulge in (we didn't even have a car this last year because of a bankruptcy due to medical bills), and it keeps my desperate mind occupied. It is a smart phone, so I have a Kindle on it, which means I'm able to read, and read, and then read some more, when I have absolutely nothing else to do. I don't watch TV, I don't go out, and I don't buy anything but the basics week in and week out. We are barely making it at the moment, but I am better off now, financially, anyway, than I've been at times, before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because, staying stupid is also a choice.
I had two children when I was very young, for reasons I will not explain here, and I did not have anymore. I have been fighting to stay above water and keep them out of bad neighborhoods (hasn't always worked) ever since. And, while being stupid may have to do with some of the problems befalling the citizens of our nation, it absolutely does not apply to all of the poor around the world, including the good ol' USA.

Last edited by herefornow; 10-17-2011 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 PM

229 posts, read 207,451 times
Bogus game that implies too much. I dont have a kid, will most likely never get a credit card, I can find a place to rent cheaper than 625 a month including traveling costs. They never give you the option to find a second job. Most of it is common sense and dont get into insurances or that bloated stuff. I can put down my dog for free even though its not the most humane way, I would never have a pet if I knew I couldnt afford it. I can spend $100 on groceries and be set for a couple of months based on left overs. And I can go without lunch at work. Never been to a wedding that demands $350...

I was raised in a household with a tight budget, common sense people. Use the heat when its below 65 and never set it above 69. Dont use AC if 80 or lower and never set it lower than 74. 10 minute showers and dont use multiple electronics at once if possible. Rarely eat out helps a lot also. Dont take loans, dont take charity unless you absolutely need to, dont give to charity if you know you cant afford it.

Last edited by straka91; 10-17-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,901,715 times
OK now that I'm home I was able to play the game. It was SO one sided and it played on emotion and not logic.
Yeah, I GET IT. Things HAPPEN to people.

Off the top of my head, let me explain.
I had 1 question come up, and it told me that I had a student loan payment of $250. It was pay it or ignore it. WHERE IS "Call up loan, explain situation, work out longer but smaller pay system"?? Hmm?

Another question was about my son being teased for the free lunches at school, so I could pay $3 a day for lunch or "RISK CHILD GOING HUNGRY"? Please!!

I had picked the warehouse job, and by day 15 it told me I was in a lot of pain from working. Should I call out? LOL? I mean.. come on now!!!

Then the food options where all scams. $3 for spaghetti? $3 for spaghetti SHOULD be when it's on sale for 5 for $3. 5 boxes of pasta? That's total win. Even if you stuffed yourselves for 2 people: You can eat 1/4 of box per person. Each box will last 2 meals. 5 boxes for $3 will be 10 meals.

Also, there were no options for rice? LOL?

Where was the option of "At work, someone disposes a Sunday papers. Do you: CLIP COUPONS TO GET FURTHER WITH FOOD BUDGET or DON'T CLIP COUPONS AND BE VICTIM FURTHER".

How can anyone feel bad for someone who isn't totally trying? Work 15 days and you call out already? Ugh. This is SO infuriating.

BUT, believe me.. I get it. I know these things happen. When you finally get what feels like "being caught up" SOMETHING happens. This is life and you need to work harder to be prepared for these things.

EDIT: LMAO, So now I picked the waiter job and I picked the closest option to work. It tells me good news I can walk or bike to work, but I can't ditch my car just yet!! lmao, oh PLEASE. Depending on the car I had, this is already a game changer for how my next month or 2 will be!!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,236,183 times
Quote:
No it isn't but it takes will power and frugality.
I know several who have ZERO credit card debt and I myself have never carried over a balance. The key is don't spend what you don't have.
I've moved from credit cards, to debit cards and my financial stability has never been better. I'm healthier as well because I dont worry about opening the mail daily and I get to keep the fees that i would have normally paid the bank allowing me money to invest in myself, rather than banks.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,525,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
OK now that I'm home I was able to play the game. It was SO one sided and it played on emotion and not logic.
Yeah, I GET IT. Things HAPPEN to people.
And apparently they happen to you all in one month.

Instead of this being a game this should be a country song (with only the beer, cheater wife and dead dog missing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies