Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with community college bridging to an in-state college? You get the same degree in the end. Sorry you don't get to be drunk every night, join a frat, and nail people you just met in your dorm room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
If I were about to graduate from High school I would be faced with these choices:

Work for low wages in a retail store, warehouse, and/or office cleaning crew.

Join the military in hope of learning some skill beyond hired killer (with the possibility of transitioning into the civilian sector as a cartel hit man) and the possibility of college or craft school aid if you survive the War in Iran.

Attend a college or university on scholarship, private loans and public grants with the realization I might never be able to pay off the private loans unless I learn a lucrative profession like sleazy lawyer, future money crazed executive or corrupt politician.

Try and join a craft union and learn the skilled needed to be a well paid technician.

Just say to Hell with it and be a bum.

Do any of you have other alternatives or suggestions for someone graduating from High school next June? I would like to hear them.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wonderful!

By the way, where do you think the money comes from to support government student loans?
Who do you think will be running our country, hospitals; building our bridges, etc.....?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Okay I will edit that. Education will only be available for the wealthy and the athletes.
and for:

Those who go to in-state schools and commute
Those who attend 2 year bridging to 4 year, and who work
Those who are at the top of their class (my ex-gf got a full ride through her Ph.D. and wasn't even valedictorian)
Those who choose a major worth investing in. Private lenders will see it as a safer bet if you're majoring in Engineering/Science than if you're studying underwater basketweaving.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,965 times
What little chance that kook had of getting my vote is now gone.

Ron Paul can go pound sand. I'll vote and campaign for Obama if necessary.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I also wouldn't want to watch my brain surgeon play basketball.

So what's your point?
How does an extremely intelligent student who has great potential(perhaps to be a talented brain surgeon) but is poor, pay for an education?

45,241 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Look up who gets scholarships and why. Most of the full ride scholarships are for athletes. Good if you are okay with a basketball player doing your necessary brain surgery.
There are many types of scholarships and they may be based on merit, industry need, student criteria (race, gender,religion, etc.), career based and college based.
You have referenced one narrow aspect and tried to pass it off as the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I were about to graduate from High school I would be faced with these choices:

Work for low wages in a retail store, warehouse, and/or office cleaning crew.

Join the military in hope of learning some skill beyond hired killer (with the possibility of transitioning into the civilian sector as a cartel hit man) and the possibility of college or craft school aid if you survive the War in Iran.

Attend a college or university on scholarship, private loans and public grants with the realization I might never be able to pay off the private loans unless I learn a lucrative profession like sleazy lawyer, future money crazed executive or corrupt politician.

Try and join a craft union and learn the skilled needed to be a well paid technician.

Just say to Hell with it and be a bum.

Do any of you have other alternatives or suggestions for someone graduating from High school next June? I would like to hear them.
2 year school trying to fit yourself into a high paying engineering major job?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
What little chance that kook had of getting my vote is now gone.

Ron Paul can go pound sand. I'll vote and campaign for Obama if necessary.
So we can enslave millions more with non-dischargable debt?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What's wrong with community college bridging to an in-state college? You get the same degree in the end. Sorry you don't get to be drunk every night, join a frat, and nail people you just met in your dorm room.
It is obvious you did not attend a major university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies