Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times

Advertisements

The Obama campaign has been putting out the word that the administration patterned Obamacare on Romneycare, obviously seeing that linkage as Romney's Achilles heel with conservatives and independents. But what happens to that issue if the Supreme Court finds Obamacare unconstitutional because of the insurance mandate? Does that render moot the whole issue? And if so, who is most helped, Obama or Romney (assuming that Romney is the Republican nominee), if the issue is taken off the table?

My sense is that Obama is praying that the Court nullifies his signature initiative because it is indefensible. He can then blame the conservative members of the Court for 30 million people being without health insurance. Romney may breathe a sigh of relief, as well, but his position, convoluted as it is, is easier to defend than Obama's. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The Obama campaign has been putting out the word that the administration patterned Obamacare on Romneycare, obviously seeing that linkage as Romney's Achilles heel with conservatives and independents. But what happens to that issue if the Supreme Court finds Obamacare unconstitutional because of the insurance mandate? Does that render moot the whole issue? And if so, who is most helped, Obama or Romney (assuming that Romney is the Republican nominee), if the issue is taken off the table?

My sense is that Obama is praying that the Court nullifies his signature initiative because it is indefensible. He can then blame the conservative members of the Court for 30 million people being without health insurance. Romney may breathe a sigh of relief, as well, but his position, convoluted as it is, is easier to defend than Obama's. Your thoughts?

The idea for the mandate (and the health care plan) came from the Heritage foundation, and was backed at the time by Newt. The Obama plan is really close to Romney's plan that he implemented in MA. They're not putting out the word--that's the truth. I think the strategy by the D's was to put in place a plan that the R's would have a hard time fighting, because the R's proposed the exact same plan as an alternative to Hilary's health care plan during the Clinton administration.

I don't know what the court is going to do about the mandate--lots of attorney's I've talked to say that knocking it down would set a dangerous precedence with the commerce clause, and would nullify a bunch of other standing supreme court decisions that a good part of law and other court decisions are built on. I'm not an attorney, and I know diddly about case law, so I have no clue.

I don't see how this can help Romney either way. He's linked to the law now, like it or not, including the mandate. If they kick it out, Romney had and enforced the mandate in MA. If they don't, we have health care reform with a mandate, and Romney has a hard time fighting against it because he did the same thing.

It hasn't been much of a campaign issue yet, because the other candidates are busy fighting among themselves trying to take the #2 slot. (Cain is up now, but it can't last, and Romney will be the nominee). When we have a clear second, Romney will start taking more heat, and the D's will throw everything they have at him in the general.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,552,021 times
Why have a Constitution if the Congress can do whatever the hell it wants under the guise of the Commerce Clause, and courts can say nothing?

Is that separation of powers?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
It sure doesn't help Obama since Romney has pledged to repeal it on DAY ONE with a 50 state waiver until the Congress finishes it off.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Why have a Constitution if the Congress can do whatever the hell it wants under the guise of the Commerce Clause, and courts can say nothing?

Is that separation of powers?
Congress passes laws, and it's the job of the Supreme Court to determine if they're constitutional. That's why it's being appealed to the Supreme Court. They're following the appropriate process. I'm guessing (I don't know) that no one challenged the constitutionality of the mandate when it was part of the MA health plan under Romney (I have no idea what they have there now--could still be in place). It only became an issue with the R's when the national health care reform plan was passed. The Supreme Court doesn't consider cases unless someone files a law suit to begin with, and it passes on up through the lower courts to them.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Congress passes laws, and it's the job of the Supreme Court to determine if they're constitutional. That's why it's being appealed to the Supreme Court. They're following the appropriate process. I'm guessing (I don't know) that no one challenged the constitutionality of the mandate when it was part of the MA health plan under Romney (I have no idea what they have there now--could still be in place). It only became an issue with the R's when the national health care reform plan was passed. The Supreme Court doesn't consider cases unless someone files a law suit to begin with, and it passes on up through the lower courts to them.
The MA mandate doesn't affect other states, hence isn't under the umbrella of the commerce clause.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
It sure doesn't help Obama since Romney has pledged to repeal it on DAY ONE with a 50 state waiver until the Congress finishes it off.
I'm not a big fan of Romney or Obama, so I'm not picking a side to argue. I'm just saying that Romney can pledge to have it repealed, but it doesn't help his "flip flop" image that he bragged about how successful it was when he was governor, and now he wants it repealed. If it was just this issue it might not hurt, but it's a pattern, and I'm betting the D's are going to make it a very, very big deal in the general.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 AM

There's no guarantee Romney will last that long.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
The MA mandate doesn't affect other states, hence isn't under the umbrella of the commerce clause.

Exactly. That seems to be what people always misinterpret.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM

That being said, Romney is a big government technocrat who can't be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies