Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
But then again, it's pretty hard to ascertain exactly where and how this graph should be followed giving the link and source....
That graph above is from Muller's video seen here:

Climategate 'hide the decline' explained by Berkeley professor Richard A. Muller - YouTube

It was produced using the data from the pro AGW crowd. You're questioning the reliability of it?

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-12-2011 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,898,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It occurs to me that the AGW "movement" shares many aspects of organized religion.

-Both use an unsupported assumption or fable to justify their existance.

-Both use terror and fear as a tool to drive members to their cause, and keep them "in line". In the case of religion, it's fear of hell and eternal damnation. AGW, its sunburn.

-Both demand acceptance of their basic foundation on faith. Both demand the unquestioning acceptance of that basic tennant, and attack, often vehimently, those with different views.

-Both support the persecution and ostricization of those that don't follow their belief system. Peer pressure is used as a tool.

-Both movements serve to enrich their leaders, at the expense of others, usually their followers. Religion instructs their followers to sacrifice and donate their income to the religion. The AGW movement serves to enrich their leadership by scams such as "carbon trading" or "cap and tax", which serves to drive up the prices it's followers pay for energy, and anything involving energy in it's production or transport.

-The leaders are seen as some near-mythical beings, above reproach by commoners.

-Both are convinced of the moral superiority of their positions.

My opinions only, of course. Please discuss.
Reminds me of the oil industry abhorrence of any movement that that would dare to lessen the dependence on their fossil fuels. Now that is truly religious.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Reminds me of the oil industry abhorrence of any movement that that would dare to lessen the dependence on their fossil fuels. Now that is truly religious.
Why is it that the AGW movement then has made far more money on the issue than the oil companies? I mean, we are talking millions vs billions here.

Don't get me wrong, the oil companies have done a lot of funding to various organizations on the issue, that is... funding the AGW position on the issue. Hmmm.... makes you wonder...

Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,138,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That graph above is from Muller's video seen here:

Climategate 'hide the decline' explained by Berkeley professor Richard A. Muller - YouTube

It was produced using the data from the pro AGW crowd. You're questioning the reliability of it?
Questioning how it is being used. This same gentleman wrote in WSJ The Case Against Global Warming Skepticism. This same gentleman in the video was merely pointing out how certain individuals were using bad science. This isn't a competition of climate change vs climate change skeptics where someone gets disqualified for bad science, as clearly both sides would have been disqualified.

Again the problem is you don't know how actual science works and are simply using any bit of evidence you find, whether is against a person or an idea, so that you can be right. Again, that's not how things are proven in science.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,138,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Why is it that the AGW movement then has made far more money on the issue than the oil companies? I mean, we are talking millions vs billions here.

Don't get me wrong, the oil companies have done a lot of funding to various organizations on the issue, that is... funding the AGW position on the issue. Hmmm.... makes you wonder...
Probably because oil companies are very science and technology driven and realize what's happening in relation to our climate.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,798,140 times
I'm a Christian. I also accept the science of global warming.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Again the problem is you don't know how actual science works and are simply using any bit of evidence you find, whether is against a person or an idea, so that you can be right. Again, that's not how things are proven in science.
LOL, care to take a crack at my question? Let's see how much you know.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Probably because oil companies are very science and technology driven and realize what's happening in relation to our climate.
No , it's because there is huge amounts of money to be made.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM

30,195 posts, read 18,770,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It occurs to me that the AGW "movement" shares many aspects of organized religion.

-Both use an unsupported assumption or fable to justify their existance.

-Both use terror and fear as a tool to drive members to their cause, and keep them "in line". In the case of religion, it's fear of hell and eternal damnation. AGW, its sunburn.

-Both demand acceptance of their basic foundation on faith. Both demand the unquestioning acceptance of that basic tennant, and attack, often vehimently, those with different views.

-Both support the persecution and ostricization of those that don't follow their belief system. Peer pressure is used as a tool.

-Both movements serve to enrich their leaders, at the expense of others, usually their followers. Religion instructs their followers to sacrifice and donate their income to the religion. The AGW movement serves to enrich their leadership by scams such as "carbon trading" or "cap and tax", which serves to drive up the prices it's followers pay for energy, and anything involving energy in it's production or transport.

-The leaders are seen as some near-mythical beings, above reproach by commoners.

-Both are convinced of the moral superiority of their positions.

My opinions only, of course. Please discuss.

Of course it is a religious movement. In contrast to real science, in which skepticism and repeated examination of the question is always welcome, any questioning of the concept of "man made global warming" is met with hysteria and derision among its disciples.

The funny thing is that those of the cult claim to be proponants of "science", while their behavior toward this issue is anything but scientific. Have you ever seen anyone condemn further examination of coronary artery disease or become emotional and outraged over questioning the origins of black holes? In contrast, questioning global warming will nearly cause a liberal to become apoplectic. Why? It is their emotional religion and a part of their core political indoctrination. I am really surprised that its supporters have not started sacrificing virgins (only conservative ones) in order to "stop" global warming. Many of the other "remedies" offered are far less well thought out and more dangerous to the environment.

Have you ever come across a liberal who DID NOT embrace the concept of man made global warming? Ever come across a liberal who was not obsessed with spelling errors?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:10 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,979,074 times
Quote:

lol

You don't even realize how you messed up the position of your "fellow" AGW promoters!

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies