Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:44 PM

25 posts, read 135,869 times

Advertisements

I'm just wodering. Do you think it will reduce violence? Will it make us safer?
while posting on any of my threads

No Trolling ,No out of control aguments ,Stay On Topic
Obsence Langurage is not allowed.
I ask for polite discussions

Respect other opinions

You can post opposing viewpoint as long as it doesn't get out of control.

you can disagree but stay calm.

All opinions are welcome. Again I repeat stay calm

If you see anybody trolling, getting out of control etc on one of my posts please send me a private massage.

I urge all members to follow these rules so my threads will stay open. I did not come up with these rules. It's the terms of service for the city data forum.

Thanks for your cooperation

Last edited by Machine; 06-01-2007 at 03:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 11,168,640 times
Well where's the actual post? I only see your conditions in posting in this thread.

What about Gun Laws? Strict for what???????????????? Explain

Old 06-01-2007, 03:56 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,580 times
The answer to what?? More victims of violent crime? Yes, gun control is the answer to create more victims..just look at Australia.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Depends on what you mean by "strict gun laws."

People are killed and injured by guns in one of two ways: Criminal violence or accidents.

I'm all for stricter licensing, safety training, and commerce laws. Much, much stricter.

But I do think law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms. Outlawing guns altogether is only going to disarm a lot of potential victims.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Well where's the actual post? I only see your conditions in posting in this thread.

What about Gun Laws? Strict for what???????????????? Explain
LOL - I had the same thought - but we can assume that the thread question is the title, and it is open-ended to encourage discussion.

I'll bite and say that stricter gun laws will just take away civil liberties and wouldn't positively impact the volume of gun-related crime in any area. I perceive that the laws just keep the guns out of the hands of "law-abiding citizens" - while the criminals use their typical channels to still obtain guns when they want them.

I've lived in states that were extremely restrictive (ie: New York) , and now I'm in a place that is not: Indiana (I'll just use these two examples even though I've lived in many more like them). To me it seems that there's no more crime in the city I live within now than there was in NY (both update & downstate vicinities) - all other items the same indeed I feel safer in Indiana and I'm sure the crooks are more uneasy knowing that when a crime is about to be committed with other people around that one of them might be "carrying concealed" or that the retail/establishment owner likely has a loaded weapon within reach. I also know I rest easier with what I have locked away in my own home in case of emergencies.

There's been a lot of school shootings over the past few years, but I sense that those kids involved had real mental issues and wouldn't have been prevented from acting out in some horrible way even if the gun laws had been more restrictive. Even though handguns and concealed carry is illegal in most of the US, hunting weapons are still legal pretty much everywhere you can hunt. You'd have to find a way to eliminate access to the hunting rifles & shotguns to make any gun-law really "strict"... but that has its own ethical problems.

The reality is that people will use anything at hand to defend themselves and to commit violence when they want or need to do either. Take away guns, and people will be using knives, clubs, brass-knuckles, bombs, mace, tazers, you name it, something else will fill the void. You cannot make it all illegal. Nor are any gun-laws going to completely eliminate accidents and suicides; it's just human nature to make mistakes, occasional poor judgement calls, and indeed when it comes to suicide people will use pretty much whatever is at hand there as well.

I think it's time to stop creating laws which hinder the rights of law-abiding citizens. ok... now I'm ready for the bashing

Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Stricter gun laws have been tried in several countries and has failed to get positive results.

I don't think it would help at all, only hinder

Old 06-01-2007, 05:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,457,451 times
Default Fugetabatit!

Forget about gun control in America. This isn’t the country to try that in. It will never work—ever.

It’s pure waste of effort anyway. Anyone watching this thread who has any machining experience or better yet machining and CAD/CAM experience, or any estimator for a manufacturer or fabricator, or anyone with part inspection experience, and many others, can reverse engineer any gun—ANY gun, and make them and sell them. There are no secrets to it, though I don’t intend to lay it all out. These folks know what I’m talking about.

There are many thousands of people in the populace who would dearly love to see major gun control in America, but not because they believe it will help reduce crime, but because it will open up the market for the rapid growth of an enormous cottage industry with outrageous profit margins. That cottage industry is very small now because guns have not been banned or tightly controlled.

IF there are any Democrats out there after 9-11 who still believe in gun control, they are in a miniscule minority. And Democrats better forget about gun control for good if they expect to have a place long-term as a political force. Believe or not, there are still millions of people who will vote for Republicans NO MATTER HOW BAD THEIR POLICIES ARE FOR AMERICA if they think there is even the slightest probability that Democrats will seek gun control measures should they attain office. Ridiculous but nonetheless true.

I’m voting Democrat for a long while it would appear. But I don’t count on the Republican Party to sit by and not clean up its act. Democrats, on a long-term basis, should not count on winning positions based on how bad the other Party is doing. The gun control issue has no place in America; it will never succeed without a police state. Fascists use that method and Communists use that method. It ain’t got no place here!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:51 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,677 times
Question I Think that a sensible solution can be reached

As a Marine Corps vet (not to mention former Boy Scout w/ both Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badges), I luv's my guns!!!!

That being said, I would like to see something to make them harder for criminals to get them, while still allowing law-abiding people like me to keep them for target practice as well as protection.

I think that the VAST majority of Americans would agree with that statement, but only a minority of either side's "activists" would. The main reason the activists would disagree is that they are worried that "once you give in a little", the other side will keep on going until it is 100% one way.

The reason that the issue is such a hot one is that the "Pro-Gun" side is fighting for rights and freedoms, and the "Anti-Gun" side is fighting for saving lives. Freedom and Rights or Lives is a tough call for anyone.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
As a Marine Corps vet (not to mention former Boy Scout w/ both Rifle and Shotgun Merit Badges), I luv's my guns!!!!

That being said, I would like to see something to make them harder for criminals to get them, while still allowing law-abiding people like me to keep them for target practice as well as protection.

I think that the VAST majority of Americans would agree with that statement, but only a minority of either side's "activists" would. The main reason the activists would disagree is that they are worried that "once you give in a little", the other side will keep on going until it is 100% one way.

The reason that the issue is such a hot one is that the "Pro-Gun" side is fighting for rights and freedoms, and the "Anti-Gun" side is fighting for saving lives. Freedom and Rights or Lives is a tough call for anyone.

I'm like you, I love my guns. I think so many guns are out there illegally now and nobody is enforcing the existing laws. Case in point, the state passed a law that if you use a gun, you get an extra 5 years tacked on your sentence. But they let him/her go because they had a bad childhood or weren't afforded the upbringing like others and besides, he didn't actually shoot anybody.

Give him/her the extra 5 years and melt down his weapons.

I didn't do anything wrong, so don't melt mine down.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:13 PM

764 posts, read 1,457,451 times
Default It just won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
As usual, you get to this gist of the matter and your points are valid and well stated. However, my point is that gun control is not going to save lives. There will not be LESS guns available, there will simply be more expensive guns available until the cottage industry builds as any market will with more competition bringing prices down. The only way it can be stopped is with a police state. Again, I’m not going to lay out how it's done, but it’s not a difficult process and anybody can do it. Stopping such a cottage industry will be a war far larger than the “war on drugs” and much more expensive. It simply can’t be done.

The people who expect to save lives by gun control have their hearts in the right place but their minds in never-never land.

Last edited by happyappy; 06-01-2007 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: punctuation, change wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies