Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM

222 posts, read 500,961 times

Advertisements

I just met a lady from Lehigh & we started talking about our neighbors. I was telling her that I have gotten to know some of my neighbors & they seem like good people. Then she told me a story of one of her neighbors who is here illegally & has had 4 children born here, recieves $600.00 a month per child plus $2000.00 a month in food stamps. I am shocked at that amount of free money this lady is receiving. Wondering if anyone can confirm if this amount of money could actually be given to this family.... to top it off she is living in government housing... she is working under the table ....not married but has livein boyfriend who works... and has a new SUV every year. Now I'm all for helping people in need of help but this seems excessive to me. Can this actually be true? Not looking for any conversations on right or wrong...legal versus illegal... I just would like to know if this is type of money is being given away??.. Do the amounts that were told to me sound true to any of you?? I honestly have no idea & am not familar with how our state hands out money. Looking for facts nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
I know of a similar situation in PA. Unfortunately abuse of the system is not state-dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellsandwater View Post
I just met a lady from Lehigh & we started talking about our neighbors. I was telling her that I have gotten to know some of my neighbors & they seem like good people. Then she told me a story of one of her neighbors who is here illegally & has had 4 children born here, recieves $600.00 a month per child plus $2000.00 a month in food stamps. I am shocked at that amount of free money this lady is receiving. Wondering if anyone can confirm if this amount of money could actually be given to this family.... to top it off she is living in government housing... she is working under the table ....not married but has livein boyfriend who works... and has a new SUV every year. Now I'm all for helping people in need of help but this seems excessive to me. Can this actually be true? Not looking for any conversations on right or wrong...legal versus illegal... I just would like to know if this is type of money is being given away??.. Do the amounts that were told to me sound true to any of you?? I honestly have no idea & am not familar with how our state hands out money. Looking for facts nothing more.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
I can verify I have a former friend who was recieving $950 a month in food stamps for her and her 3 kids and that was 3 years ago. I've never had any kind of gov't assistance so I can't verify the rates now

Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
This is not abuse of the system. What they are doing is legal. For a country on our way to bankruptcy the U.S. sure is generous! Don't forget the kids are also getting fed twice a day in school.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
This is not abuse of the system. What they are doing is legal. For a country on our way to bankruptcy the U.S. sure is generous! Don't forget the kids are also getting fed twice a day in school.
I think working under the table while collecting federal money might be illegal. Kids do deserve to eat, regardless of the sins of the parents....

Old 11-11-2011, 07:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
What a bunch of bunk.

I was on welfare for a very brief time many years ago. I had one child and got $250.00 a month and $25 in food stamps. That was in Massachusetts. I couldn't make it. Ask me what happened to the child. Or don't. And the pregnancy was not my fault. Think hard about that statement.

Years later, for one month I got food stamps because my husband left. I had three children. I got $350 a month for three children. This was a situation where I once had a great job, big house, drove a Volvo. Things happen.

This past February our business was failing due to road construction. We have one child. We received food stamps for one month. It was $343. Don't ask me about the two B&Es at the shop. They took $14,000 in equipment and we have no insurance. My husband now sleeps in the back room on the floor. Waiting.

Good people have hard luck all the time. These stories of welfare queens really fry me. The stories of illegals do, too. They are lies cooked up to get the masses thinking people are taking their money. That way no one notices corporate welfare.

When I was 16 the baby needed special formula. It could only be purchased in a drugstore and not with food stamps. I didn't have the money one month. I called my mother to ask for $5. You know what she said, this very rich woman? "Don't you people on welfare get Cadillacs and color tvs?" (I didn't own ANY tv. And she knew it. We lived in the same town.) Ask me how I feel about people to cling to these stories to hold onto their pocketbook. It gives them permission to be selfish and cruel.

I hate these lies and the people that spread them.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,349,784 times
Quote:
As long as you have the liberal/progressives in charge they will continue to take your hard earned money and give it away to all kinds of people that do not pull their own weight.
The whole idea is sickening when you think that they do not have to adhere to the law, but citizens get in trouble if they don't.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 AM

I've responded to this baloney on here, before. These urban legends have been around since at least the 60s. They are crap.

snopes.com: Tax Holidays for Immigrants

Myths Surrounding Immigration - Catholic Charities (http://cctwincities.org/myths_immigration.aspx - broken link)

Nieman Reports | The

Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Great. Another thread for equal to spew on.

I call BS on the thread premise. I see now that the OP has many posts in the illegal immigration threads. I very much doubt someone told her all this stuff and she was genuinely shocked and concerned. If I am wrong, I apologize. But a very quick look at other posts shows an agenda.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, yes.

Here's another story:

I had a roommate in Seattle who had a friend who got drunk, really drunk, ended up somehow putting her arm through a plate glass window, did some damage, got surgery and, (at the time, it was almost 10 years ago, who knows how much it is now), received over 2 grand a month on "disability".

All because she got drunk and put her arm through a window.

You and I get to pay for her getting drunk and putting her arm through a window.

She works. She works under the table. She is totally able to work. But, you and I get to pay for her getting drunk and putting her arm through a window.

Think about that and your neighbor with her fancy new SUV the next time you're in the grocery store shopping on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies