Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times

Advertisements

This picture says it all for me:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/308983_288370641203537_262356017138333_891886_2806 02482_n-1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I like my Hippies with garlic not so much with pepper.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
This picture says it all for me:
That picture says that Occupiers think they should be allowed to pee and poop all over the park since banks aren't regulated enough. I agree about the enforcement problems with banking but sure don't agree with a lot of what the occupiers believe.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What law did they break?

There is no law about sitting along a side walk on public land.

Thats why all the charges were dropped, because no one broke the law on the protestor side of the line.
Was that walkway they were sitting on with arms interlocked a public walkway or not? Why were so few people involved in trying to block that walkway? I keep looking at that video and notice that there were so many more students lining the walkway but not on it.

Do you really think that as protesters those kids had a right to keep others from using that walkway? Surely you don't think that they have special rights to block the way that others want to use and is put there for all, even them, to use.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Was that walkway they were sitting on with arms interlocked a public walkway or not? Why were so few people involved in trying to block that walkway? I keep looking at that video and notice that there were so many more students lining the walkway but not on it.

Do you really think that as protesters those kids had a right to keep others from using that walkway? Surely you don't think that they have special rights to block the way that others want to use and is put there for all, even them, to use.
What makes that sidewalk SO special?

Is it the only way students can traverse the quad? The only way people get around? You see students standing along the sidewalk, so it's clear that the grass is not toxic, there aren't tarpits or anything hazardous on the grass.

Do you understand why protesters are removed from sidewalks? The only time people are removed from sidewalks is when they prevent people from accessing a business or building, or when blocking the sidewalk presents a public hazard. A sidewalk in a park does not provide sole access to a building or a business, nor is any public hazard caused by blocking the sidewalk.

This is a picture of the quad/park at UC-Davis. The sidewalk bisects the quad. The kids sitting on the sidewalk didn't prevent the access or egress of anyone.

Redirect Notice

Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

Nothing was blocked and

You can stand or sit on a sidewalk, and the police have 0 rights to tell you to move without court order.

So, again, what law did they break. Again, the police dropped the charges becasue they were unfounded.

So, name the exact law they broke, in the city and state they broke it in, or admit, they didn't break the law.

Now you are free to say that you want people who aren't breaking laws to be able to be sprayed with pepper spray, that is your right. But admit the facts.

Students were protesting the increase of tuition, they bothered the school President, she requested, which is not legal for her to do, for police to move them from the grass next to the side walk in front of her office, the police over reacted, and arrested 10 people for no legal reason and sprayed people with pepper spray for no legal reason.

Its why charges are being brought, its why the commissioner and the policeman are on administrative leave, and soon to be fired, its why the schools president is quitting, its why the charges were dropped, and its why the school is paying for the medical bills of the students.

Because it was against the law for the police to do what they did, period.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:58 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/ucdwebc.../CampusMap.pdf

C-9 and C-10

Quote:
As members of our academic community and of society at large, students have both rights and responsibilities, and are expected to comply with the general law, University policies, and campus regulations. The University's Standards of Conduct for Students prohibit conduct that impairs, interferes with, or obstructs its "missions, processes, and functions" of teaching, research, learning, and public service. See the UC "Policy on Student Conduct and Discipline," revised May 17, 2002, Sections 101.00 and 102.00.
http://sja.ucdavis.edu/student-conduct-standards.html

Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not illegal to block the sidewalk.

That's the simple fact. You claim to be the legal expert, go find the law that says you can't sit on the sidewalk.
Actually it is. As a part of the American With Disabilities Act of 1990, a minimum of 3 feet of walkway must be maintained at all times for people in wheelchairs or other disabilities. Of course you can get a permit to occupy the sidewalk but you must provide an adequate alternative and give fair warning so that the alternative is known a reasonable distance before the obstruction.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-23-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Nothing was blocked and

You can stand or sit on a sidewalk, and the police have 0 rights to tell you to move without court order.

So, again, what law did they break. Again, the police dropped the charges becasue they were unfounded.

So, name the exact law they broke, in the city and state they broke it in, or admit, they didn't break the law.

Now you are free to say that you want people who aren't breaking laws to be able to be sprayed with pepper spray, that is your right. But admit the facts.

Students were protesting the increase of tuition, they bothered the school President, she requested, which is not legal for her to do, for police to move them from the grass next to the side walk in front of her office, the police over reacted, and arrested 10 people for no legal reason and sprayed people with pepper spray for no legal reason.

Its why charges are being brought, its why the commissioner and the policeman are on administrative leave, and soon to be fired, its why the schools president is quitting, its why the charges were dropped, and its why the school is paying for the medical bills of the students.

Because it was against the law for the police to do what they did, period.
If some old poop like me was trying to use that walkway and couldn't because that small group of protesters were sitting like that and I kicked one of them in the head I would be the bad guy and those who kept me from getting past them would be the good guys because they wanted to keep me from using that walkway.

You are telling the same story here that the Occupy DC people were throwing around when they blocked traffic standing in the street. Somehow I see you wanting your cake and be able to eat it, too. I am sorry, but protesters do not have special rights because they are protesting and we all have rights but they want to take ours away from us.

No matter how you look at it, those kids had no right to block that public walkway. If they did all the others would have been on there with them.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
They weren't disrupting any university function, thats the point. They were protesting the schools President, and she got in her office just fine.

They called her names, but thats normal for any university, especially california.

They broke no law, period, its why the charges were dropped!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies