Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 03:10 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,573,865 times

Advertisements

When stores and schools go out of the way to avoid printing or saying Christmas in regard to obvious Christmas items or celebrations,...that is going too far. One year a public school banned the school band from playing certain songs which may have religious words even though the song was an instrumental, not sung. I don't see stores displaying a menora and calling it a holiday candle stick holder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 AM

24,037 posts, read 15,150,471 times
Hanukkah starts the 21st and ends the 28th. If I go into a store to purchase a gift, unless I tell, how does anybody know if it for Christmas or Hanukkah or a birthday for a family member? Who cares?
What's wrong with happy holidays? That acknowledges everything. Merry Christmas is very specific. Anybody participating in this made up by Fox nonsense needs to get a hobby.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,573,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Hanukkah starts the 21st and ends the 28th. If I go into a store to purchase a gift, unless I tell, how does anybody know if it for Christmas or Hanukkah or a birthday for a family member? Who cares?
What's wrong with happy holidays? That acknowledges everything. Merry Christmas is very specific. Anybody participating in this made up by Fox nonsense needs to get a hobby.
It's not about the gift going to one holiday or another. A bicycle is a bicycle no matter what the holiday. However, Christmas Trees are Christmas trees. Christmas decorations (holiday specific) are Christmas decorations. Greeting cards are normally holiday specific and are labeled as such. The merchants going out of their way to avoid using the word "Christmas" for the very holiday that gives them so much business is insulting. If a business wants to sell items specific to another religion's holiday then more power to them. I might light a menora myself.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,722,114 times
Quote:
If I go into a store to purchase a gift, unless I tell, how does anybody know if it for Christmas or Hanukkah or a birthday for a family member?
It is not considered appropriate for a Jew to purchase Chanukah gifts, nor Chanukah cards..

Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with happy holidays?
Happy Holidays is code for Happy Christian Holidays.

How often did you hear Happy Holidays for the holidays that began on September 29 and ended on October 21?

How many TV newscast sets had seasonal decorations for the holidays that began on September 29 and ended on October 21?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
One year a public school banned the school band from playing certain songs which may have religious words even though the song was an instrumental, not sung.
Why is a gov't school teaching students to play religious music, with or without words?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I don't see stores displaying a menora and calling it a holiday candle stick holder.
When a few stores do display a Chanukah Menorah, it is less than 10% the size of the Christmas tree displayed in the same store.

More importantly, what, if anything, do these stores display for the holidays that began September 29 and ended October 21?

Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,182,001 times
Oh boy! The Annual Fake War on Christmas Thread!

Love it...making fun of the whiney CHILDREN who pout because the world doesn't bow to THEIR silly traditions!

NO one has lost anything....ANYONE is free to celebrate Christmas any way they'd like IF they don't try to nastily impose their ideas on others in PUBLIC places.

NO one has ever explained what they lost because of the Fake War on Christmas.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,968,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Happy Holidays is code for Happy Christian Holidays.

How often did you hear Happy Holidays for the holidays that began on September 29 and ended on October 21?

How many TV newscast sets had seasonal decorations for the holidays that began on September 29 and ended on October 21?
Why use code. Why not just say Merry Christmas. Jewish people have been trying to get rid of Christ in Christmas for a very long time. Most of the lawsuits I have seen started were not because the person was an atheist, but because they were Jewish. Which is ironic, because if you go to the major toy stores in NY City you will see elaborate decorations for Christmas every year, they are predominantly Jewish owned. I guess it is a bad thing unless you can make money off of it.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,381,771 times
Warning - bad language and not PC. Do not watch if you are easiy offended. Which you probably aren't if you're in this forum.

Kinky Friedman - They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies