Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 04:39 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times

Advertisements

Especially when considering the important contributions of these Universities?

" A Michigan State University associate professor's nude photographs that show him posing with students has prompted questions about art and ethics among some associated with the school."

Read more: Michigan State University Professor's Nude Photos Raises Eyebrows, Questions | Fox News

"A doctoral candidate in Yale University's American Studies Program is teaching a course in "nightlife culture" that includes DJ lecturers, a field trip to New York nightlife hot spots Le Bain and the Boom Boom Room and a discussion titled "Looks, Doors and Guest Lists: Getting Past the Velvet Rope."
"Wolf will even create a one-off party at Yale to show the preppies how it is done."

Read more: Yale's 'Nightlife' Class Brings Students To The Boom Boom Room For Field Trip | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Especially when considering the important contributions of these Universities?

" A Michigan State University associate professor's nude photographs that show him posing with students has prompted questions about art and ethics among some associated with the school."

Read more: Michigan State University Professor's Nude Photos Raises Eyebrows, Questions | Fox News

"A doctoral candidate in Yale University's American Studies Program is teaching a course in "nightlife culture" that includes DJ lecturers, a field trip to New York nightlife hot spots Le Bain and the Boom Boom Room and a discussion titled "Looks, Doors and Guest Lists: Getting Past the Velvet Rope."
"Wolf will even create a one-off party at Yale to show the preppies how it is done."

Read more: Yale's 'Nightlife' Class Brings Students To The Boom Boom Room For Field Trip | Fox News
I learned those things on my own hook while I was in the Army. For instance, we always wore our uniforms when we went to baseball games in NYC because they let us in free. Of course, we always took civilian clothes with us after our first experience at Birdland. That was quite a place but we were forced to sit at the bar because of our uniforms. I told them to stick the place but the next time we went to that town we were wearing civvies to determine if we were right. Sure as hell we got to pick our seats.

These courses are really important and kids who borrow money to go to school should know that by the time they pay the loans off they probably won't be using places like that. I guess many of them have figured that out and want to be able to continue to live the "fine" nightlife.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And after taking classes like those they wonder why they can't find jobs ?
What field exactly were they educated in ?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And after taking classes like those they wonder why they can't find jobs ?
What field exactly were they educated in ?
Exactly. I didn't know you needed a degree to "party?"

I do know that I don't want to pay for it.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Yes and why not just bailout everyone? How about the taxpayers next, I find it difficult to pay taxes so I want a bailout, and then we need one whose cell phone bills are too high because they had to have an iPhone with all the apps and unlimited text messages and calls, and they needed one for every family member. Or someone whose electric bill is too high because they like to have all the lights on and heating the swimming pool runs up the kilowatts used.

Yes -- let's just declare one big bailout, no one has to pay any tax or any debt they don't feel like paying.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Exactly. I didn't know you needed a degree to "party?"

I do know that I don't want to pay for it.
I think you will find many more classes like those these days than in the past. There just weren't any of them to use as electives in my day or I would have looked into them. However, I worked my butt off to pay for that first degree and didn't have to borrow to get it.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
As an undergrad at Cornell, my cousin took a course (for credit, mind you) in wine tasting.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
As an undergrad at Cornell, my cousin took a course (for credit, mind you) in wine tasting.
I have heard of that at a local community college; nice to hear its at Cornell, also. And now, we the taxpayers are being asked to reimburse students for taking classes in partying, wine tasting and sex.

No wonder this country is in such horrible shape.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Student loans are taken out by adults and on adults. If you can get forgiveness for working in an underserved area or your job will pay off some, fine. Otherwise, student loans are up to the student. It keeps us all honest.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
They CHOSE to go to school...and some of them went to a school they could never afford in a million years...and now they need to get a free pass for it?

GAWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies