Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
geez, some christians can be so insecure. if you have the after-life all wrapped up and the big guy on your side, plus all the joy of being a christian, you've got it all. why throw a fit anytime someone doesn't do what you think they should?
The very basis of being a Christian is insecurity. For the most part, they use 'Christianity' as a crutch to make themselves feel superior to everyone else. They also use it to disguise their bigotry. And lastly, they are often really not good people, but to feel better about themselves they make themselves Christian warriors so they can say they are doing the right thing.

Just look at the country right now...The group where the most vile, hatred, and just pure viciousness is coming from is the religious right. On social issues, on hatred towards Obama, hatred towards the working class and everybody below, towards less fortunate, towards people facing hard times...And apparently, according to Newt, their new target are poor children in the ghetto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 PM

58 posts, read 52,458 times
I did not vote for Obama in the last election and do not intend to in the next election, but I am fine with the president whether R or D keeping American holidays secular. We do not have a state sponsored religion in this country; which allows us more freedom. I don't care if it was Bush, Obama or whoever, the bible itself speaks of prayer/worship of God being a private affair.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint00 View Post
I did not vote for Obama in the last election and do not intend to in the next election, but I am fine with the president whether R or D keeping American holidays secular. We do not have a state sponsored religion in this country; which allows us more freedom. I don't care if it was Bush, Obama or whoever, the bible itself speaks of prayer/worship of God being a private affair.
That's no Bible you're quoting! That's the communist manifesto.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint00 View Post
This thread's been an eye-opener for me. I didn't know so many adults weren't aware that god has always been a part, not the only part, of Thanksgiving Day. From Washington to Lincoln to FDR to Clinton, and yes Obama too, giving thanks to god has been part of the day.

It's absurd to claim that a Presidential Proclamation or remarks that mentions thanking god is state-sponsored religion

Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Where's the complimentary thread of Obama actually mentioned God during the lightning of the National Christmas tree? He mentioned it so many times I wanted to throw my pizza at the TV. Seriously.

Edited to add: Nevermind....found the thread!!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
geez, some christians can be so insecure. if you have the after-life all wrapped up and the big guy on your side, plus all the joy of being a christian, you've got it all. why throw a fit anytime someone doesn't do what you think they should?
Quote:
that you read my post and assumed i'm on the left is a good chunk of what is wrong with the US right now.
You assume that I assumed. I was responding to your post, not to which side of right and wrong you may be on.

Nevertheless, if the shoe fits, you are free to wear it.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You assume that I assumed. I was responding to your post, not to which side of right and wrong you may be on.

Nevertheless, if the shoe fits, you are free to wear it.
....so hard....not to feed the troll...

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Three of the Republican presidential candidates – Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum – issued Thanksgiving statements that omitted any references to God."

Obama Omits God From Thanksgiving Address, Riles Critics - ABC News

Obama wasn't alone now was he? "Gods" have no place in the political arena. Keep your fairytales behind the closed doors of your cult.
Yeah, shame on George Washington. what was he and Congress thinking?
"Thanksgiving Proclamation [New York, 3 October 1789]
Page Image. By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.
Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.
and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.
Go: Washington
George Washington Papers: Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation

http://www.loc.gov/global/onlineopinionF3cS/en-US/black_oo.gif (broken link)http://www.loc.gov/global/onlineopinionF3cS/en-US/black_fb_en-US.gif (broken link)

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Another non-issue thread about this great President

Who the hell cares? You're referring to something from FOX News and expect to be taken seriously? The problem that this country is plagued with is not this utter nonsense. It is the presence of Republicans, their lack of ideas to help all, their obstructionist nonsense because a black man is President, their continued denial of the ongoing negative effects of 8 years of Bush, and their utter worthlessness in Congress. We've got people like Trump, a guy who looks like he just escaped from an insane asylum, blaming the President for the nation's problems while ignoring the role of his party in causing the failures of the last 11 years. We've got pathetic, racist people like roly poly Gingrich, a man with the morality level of John Edwards, actually believing that he can lead this country for ALL people. These people want to undo the 20th century. They represent far deeper problems to the well-being and progression of this country, not this petty nonsense.

Being a Christian has NOT made anyone in the GOP right or on the superior side of any argument. Quite the opposite in fact.

President Obama is headed for a second term, and don't you forget it either.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Who the hell cares? You're referring to something from FOX News and expect to be taken seriously? The problem that this country is plagued with is not this utter nonsense. It is the presence of Republicans, their lack of ideas to help all, their obstructionist nonsense because a black man is President, their continued denial of the ongoing negative effects of 8 years of Bush, and their utter worthlessness in Congress. We've got people like Trump, a guy who looks like he just escaped from an insane asylum, blaming the President for the nation's problems while ignoring the role of his party in causing the failures of the last 11 years. We've got pathetic, racist people like roly poly Gingrich, a man with the morality level of John Edwards, actually believing that he can lead this country for ALL people. These people want to undo the 20th century. They represent far deeper problems to the well-being and progression of this country, not this petty nonsense.

Being a Christian has NOT made anyone in the GOP right or on the superior side of any argument. Quite the opposite in fact.

President Obama is headed for a second term, and don't you forget it either.
Great to know there's such loyal support for our "great" president. It's folks like you who put him into office. I'm sure you would have put Edwards into office too, if he hadn't slipped up. And what has Trump got to do with this topic?
He hasn't made any proclamations, nor is he a Christian. Stop to think, for pete's sake.

Bottom line: whether BO is a Christian or not doesn't matter. What is clear that he is NOT a leader, and the Country desperately needs a leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies