Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
No, I have not seen athiests attacked on this forum. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I can't recall seeing it. It's not a question of being able to "handle" one poster respond to another, and I was not "in agreement" with the OP, if you bothered to read all of my posts instead of picking the parts you want to attack me on you'd know that. It was politely stating that others who are not on the extremes find it offensive. I don't understand your issue with that.

I haven't seen any anti-muslim threads lately, but if I see one come up I'll make sure to comment. For the record, since you haven't seen any comment from me, I respect the views of Muslims. I'm not ignorant enough to think they are all the same, that they all think we're infidels, etc. Just like any religion they have extremists who make the entire collective look bad. If you're a Muslim, Buddist, athiest, or whatever, I respect your beliefs because what YOU believe does not affect ME. The difference is, I don't attack others' beliefs like some on this forum do. It is only when someone's beliefs cause them to perform acts of violence or force their beliefs on others that I have a problem.
There are quite a few posts here that take a shot, so I'm sure you have seen them. But, I will admit that you did handle some fanatical points of views and in pages I skipped over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I see that as a "believer" you left out the part of my post where I asked you to use reason and logic(bolded above).....that explains everything.
Yes, because all "believers" are stupid in your eyes, and incapable of using reason and logic. And I'm sure I'm not a "believer" in the sense you think I am. I don't believe the bible word for word, have never read the entire thing, think that many things in the bible have been changed for power/political reasons, and have been to church only a handful of times in my life because there's too many things that I question or disagree with. I have certain beliefs that I'm sure would irritate athiests as well as traditional Christians. I have my own reasons for my beliefs, but this is not the religion forum so this is not the place to discuss them, and for all intensive purposes, it should not matter to you what I believe or why I believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If you so easily allow others to offend you I suggest you find another forum....
It was more of a statement that you can convey your views without being an a-hole about it. If you have to be belligerant in your responses concerning those who have belief systems, have at it. My point was simply that you could avoid offending or angering those who respect your beliefs and are simply asking that you do the same.

Last edited by SimpleMan; 11-29-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Obama Criticized for Leaving God Out of Thanksgiving Address - Fox News Video - Fox News

The guy's actions (lack of) speak loud and clear to wise folks!
No Democrat is surprised that conservatives don't understand the concept of "separation of church and state".

Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
My point was simply that you could avoid offending or angering those who respect your beliefs and are simply asking that you do the same.
Lets take a look at a couple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You want liberal tolerance? Convert to Islam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumntimetwo View Post
Since both of his bio and step dad are muslims, and B.o. studied islam in Indonesia, this is not the first time he has done this. He also had an signia covered for one of his speeches, that signify God. I cannot imagine living in a Godless country...................like we are becoming.
... and the very premise of this thread. It stands to reason that such people invite what they get.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I hope it was intentional... 'cause you know.... there really is no god.
I can only wish that it was intentional. That would be great.

Unfortunately, i'm sure it was a mistake...sadly.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Why do christians whine so much?

And doncha just hate it when posters lump everyone of one belief together....AS THE OP DID!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There are quite a few posts here that take a shot, so I'm sure you have seen them. But, I will admit that you did handle some fanatical points of views and in pages I skipped over.
I do not deny in the least that there are Christians who are belligerant in their opinions of athiests, the "you don't believe so you're going to hell" crowd, and if I see it, I will comment. That's actually one of my biggest problems with conventional Christianity, because I know there are many athiests who are good moral people, and there are many people who considered themselves Christian (Hitler), and to think that the athiests who live a good life are going to hell and the POS that murdered millions of people is going to heaven is absurd to me. There are many reasons one may not be a Christian (upbringing, etc.), and do think if they live agood life they are still going to hell is infuriating to me, and if that's truly the way it is then I want no part of it. I have told several holier than thou types in my personal life to go fly a kite because they claim blasphemy because I listen to Metallica, or because I went to see Ron White perform and he's "dirty", and other stupid things that are complete nonsense. But thank you for recognizing that I will stand against both sides for what I think is right, I appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Yes, because all "believers" are stupid in your eyes, and incapable of using reason and logic. And I'm sure I'm not a "believer" in the sense you think I am. I don't believe the bible word for word, have never read the entire thing, think that many things in the bible have been changed for power/political reasons, and have been to church only a handful of times in my life because there's too many things that I question or disagree with. I have certain beliefs that I'm sure would irritate athiests as well as traditional Christians. I have my own reasons for my beliefs, but this is not the religion forum so this is not the place to discuss them, and for all intensive purposes, it should not matter to you what I believe or why I believe it.

It was more of a statement that you can convey your views without being an a-hole about it. If you have to be belligerant in your responses concerning those who have belief systems, have at it. My point was simply that you could avoid offending or angering those who respect your beliefs and are simply asking that you do the same.
I ADORE your last paragraph where you so respectfully refer to me as an a-hole!

Now, if I was some whiney christian I would be SO OFFENDED

...but I'm not because I can reason.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I do not deny in the least that there are Christians who are belligerant in their opinions of athiests, the "you don't believe so you're going to hell" crowd, and if I see it, I will comment. That's actually one of my biggest problems with conventional Christianity, because I know there are many athiests who are good moral people, and there are many people who considered themselves Christian (Hitler), and to think that the athiests who live a good life are going to hell and the POS that murdered millions of people is going to heaven is absurd to me. There are many reasons one may not be a Christian (upbringing, etc.), and do think if they live agood life they are still going to hell is infuriating to me, and if that's truly the way it is then I want no part of it. I have told several holier than thou types in my personal life to go fly a kite because they claim blasphemy because I listen to Metallica, or because I went to see Ron White perform and he's "dirty", and other stupid things that are complete nonsense. But thank you for recognizing that I will stand against both sides for what I think is right, I appreciate it.
I saw you arguing with one such fanatic. But then, it is those fanatics that provide ample ammunition to arguments such as those you hated.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Thank you for reinvigorating my sincere hope that I might one day own a unicorn! Everyone keeps telling me they don't exist, but as you point out, that just proves they do!
I suspect that one day you'll awake to a huge disappointment on both fronts.

[quote=Who?Me?!;21900721]
Did ya read where one believer thinks "god" exists because atheists exist? That's imbecilic! And NEEDS to be ridiculed!!! [quote]

Just an exercise in logic, but seems to be too deep for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It's threads like this that prompt me to get down on my knees and give thanks to the Good Lord Jesus that I'm a liberal
That's got nothing to do with Jesus. It's your choice and you can't give credit to Him as much of today's liberalism is out of step with Him.

Obama tends not to want to offend anyone, especially in an election year. Understanding that, we can cut him some slack for anything he says or doesn't say because politicians (of any party) don't mean it anway (especially in an election year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies