Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The first people to die from AIDS in America were Haitian immigrants. Not gays or lesbians. It definitely did not "morph" at all. Back when scientists were refering to AIDS as GRID, thousands of heterosexuals were dying of the disease unknown the the scientific community. Most of these undocumented deaths occurred in Africa.

And the disease entered humans through the hunting of Chimpanzees who carry the much similar SIV virus. Simian immunodeficiency virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing gays did have anything to do with HIV entering the human population. Blame the hunters who were eating monkeys.

HIV's path out of Africa: Haiti, the US then the world
It could have been contained in Haiti if not for:

Quote:
A study published in the American Journal of Medicine in 1984 traced many of New York City's early HIV infections to an unnamed infected homosexual male flight attendant. Epidemiologists hypothesized that Dugas had carried the virus out of Africa and introduced it into the Western gay community.

Genetic analysis of HIV provides some support for the Patient Zero theory. Dugas is now believed to be part of a cluster of homosexual men who traveled frequently, were extremely sexually active, and died of AIDS at a very early stage in the epidemic.
Gaëtan Dugas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It could have been contained in Haiti if not for:

Gaëtan Dugas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Um. Read your own link maybe? Gaetan was dismissed as the patient zero after scientists later discovered that HIV was introduced into America's population through a Haitian immigrant. The same immigrant that I referenced in my previous post. Gaetan certainly didn't help to prevent the spread of the disease, but neither did anyone else who has infected another with HIV, whether they are gay or straight.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Um. Read your own link maybe? Gaetan was dismissed as the patient zero after scientists later discovered that HIV was introduced into America's population through a Haitian immigrant. The same immigrant that I referenced in my previous post. Gaetan certainly didn't help to prevent the spread of the disease, but neither did anyone else who has infected another with HIV, whether they are gay or straight.
So you don't like Gaetan being called patient zero... how about Robert R? The very first in North America to contract HIV/AIDS contracted in the 1960's - confirmed in 1989. They both have one thing in common, you don't need me to tell you what that is do you?

Quote:
In early 1968, Rayford admitted himself to the Barnes-Jewish Hospital (then called the Barnes Hospital) in St. Louis, Missouri. His legs and genitals were covered in warts and sores and he also had severe swelling in the testicles and pelvic region...Doctors treating Rayford suspected he had engaged in homosexual intercourse....In 1984, when HIV was officially discovered and had started spreading at dangerous levels in New York City and Los Angeles, Dr. Marlys Witte, one of the doctors who, like Elvin-Lewis, had cared for Robert before death and also assisted in the autopsy, thawed and tested preserved tissue samples from Robert's autopsy, which tested negative.[2] Three years later, in June 1987, Witte decided to test the tissue samples again using more recent technology, settling on Western blot, the most sensitive test for antibodies then available. The Western-blot test found that antibodies against all nine detectable HIV proteins were present in Robert's blood. A second test found identical results.

Robert Rayford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 AM

Back on topic:

Quote:
According to the 2007 Pew Global Attitudes Project, a strong 97% of Nigeria residents said that homosexuality should be rejected by society, making it one of the highest rejections of homosexuality in the 44 countries surveyed.

LGBT rights in Nigeria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
10 years in prison for ‘any person who … directly or indirectly makes public show of same-sex amorous relationships,’ 10 years for aiding same-sex unions
Gay marriage: Nigerian senate votes for 14-year jail sentences for same-sex unions | News | National Post

Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 AM

Should the world community sanction Nigeria for their decision?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then why did you make an argument FOR those who would be uncomfortable with gays, instead of opposing?
Because that opinion is the most maligned and attacked... and unfairly so.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Should the world community sanction Nigeria for their decision?
Maybe we should just refuse to buy their oil. That'd show 'em.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
See, this is where homosexuals frequently get it confused. I understand that being homosexual is not the most desirable place to be in society. I get that, I really do. But what homosexuals don't understand is that when you advocate for your perceived "civil rights' you're actually asking the law to recognize you and your lifestyle as being acceptable. To many heterosexuals, being legal and being moral are not synonymous. So please, take what you can get from the court but don't expect us to start admiring your sexuality just because the law is on your side.
Is your "heterosexuality" a "lifestyle"? Did you wake up one day and decide that you were attracted to females instead of males? I'm pretty sure you didn't "choose" what sex you were attracted too just like many homosexuals don't either.
As for being "moral" who are you to judge what two consenting adults decide to do with each other?

your quote:
But what "homosexuals" don't understand is that when you advocate for your perceived "civil rights' you're actually asking the law to recognize you and your lifestyle as being acceptable.

replace the word "homosexuals" with "interracial couples" and there goes your reason for justifying your morality!
By the way the last thing homosexuals would ever want is "acceptance" from homophobes.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Please show me where I have opened 1 (one) gay thread...

I only respond to the ludicrous gay threads other people open...
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies