Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
How about seatbelt laws and helmet laws? They dont affect other drivers , only the driver who chooses not to wear one.
It's not really the same thing, but seatbelt laws are a fairly controversial subject in the minds of some people, and helmet laws are very controversial among motorcyclists. Also, unlike the current issue, there is overwhelming evidence that seatbelts and helmets significantly reduce the risk of serious injury and death in an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 12:37 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The problem is there is a good chance that one day his luck will run out, and he will hurt or kill someone, and that can't be taken back, putting him in jail would be little comfort to the people who lost their loved one, or the person severely injured.

This person is actually a good example that the having laws does work, he only drives drunk in the city of Detroit, he does this because he knows the cops there are stretched way too thin, and are far too busy to concentrate on impaired drivers. If he knows he will be going somewhere outside the city limits he will find a designated driver, the police outside the city are plentiful and will pull people over at any hint of impairment, so he avoids his very stupid behavior for fear of punishment.

No one likes having laws, and feeling freedoms be taken away, but sometimes we have to be able to protect people from the stupid behavior of others, too many people think they could never cause a problem because they are "good drunk or distracted drivers, and nothing will happen to me." The consequences are too great to wait for them to happen, and then punish.

I agree there should be plenty of education, my biggest beef right now is the view that talking on the phone while driving is perfectly okay, it's not, and people need to stop making constant calls, and set a good example for their children by not doing it. I actually think the occasional quick phone call such as "I'll be home at 7:00," or "please pick up some milk" while driving is not likely to cause any harm, but conducting a business meeting, or sorting out your relationship while driving is extremely dangerous, and needs to stop. Most people would be ashamed to drink and drive even if it were legal because socially it's considered a huge no no, phones while driving are causing serious accidents too, we need to educate people that phones can cause driver impairment that can end up killing someone. If people would stop the stupid behavior we wouldn't need laws.

No one wants to see women putting on make up either, I have heard of arrests for that under reckless driving, no one is saying discrimination. Most women don't do that except for some chapstick, or lip gloss, it's only a stupid few that do their actual make up in the car. The few that do it are so ridiculous everyone talks about it like all women regularly do their make up in the car.
Even state troopers have their luck run out.......

State Trooper Daniel Parker faces up to six months in jail after pleading guilty in teens death. The 36-year-old says he lost control of his car while reaching for a cellphone with his right hand

Trooper Takes Plea Deal In Death Of Ionia Teen « CBS Detroit

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,201,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Even state troopers have their luck run out.......

State Trooper Daniel Parker faces up to six months in jail after pleading guilty in teens death. The 36-year-old says he lost control of his car while reaching for a cellphone with his right hand

Trooper Takes Plea Deal In Death Of Ionia Teen « CBS Detroit
It's just not worth it, a teen lost his life, I'm sure his family is destroyed. The trooper will never be the same again either, I can't even imagine the guilt he must feel. It's a tragedy all around over a phone call.

I just leave my phone in my bag, any calls can wait, I know I need to be extra alert because far too many people are still answering their phones, and texting. I see so many dumb moves made by people yapping away, often they don't even notice that they almost caused an accident. Someone on a phone nearly ran my fiancee' and I off the road while we were on his Vespa, the guy was yapping away, he didn't even look back, he never noticed he almost caused us serious injury. So many people probably think the are driving great while on the phone, but they aren't.

Last edited by detshen; 12-21-2011 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM

521 posts, read 467,349 times
NO to more driving/cell phone laws.

Personal Responsibility. Let us police ourselves not the federal government.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
NO to more driving/cell phone laws.

Personal Responsibility. Let us police ourselves not the federal government.

Most of those who declare the need of personal responsibility for others, don't have any themselves.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:45 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Most of those who declare the need of personal responsibility for others, don't have any themselves.
Dare to source that statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies