Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Not in this forum..That type of exaggeration is totally normal.
Truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,974,399 times
Yeah, I'm new and finding out slowly how nuts people are here. My apologies.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
But they didn't work for it!!!! Outraged!!! GRRRRRR!!!! If they get sick, I don't want to pay for them to get better. I don't care about other people, only myself and my cat!!!! GRRR!! OUTRAGE!!!

Why should they be given the opportunity to get better on my dime? HUH??? Can anybody tell me?!?! Grr!!!

I never use anything publicly funded...well I guess I drive to work on public roads. And I did go to public schools. Oh and there is the public library that I use frequently. But Grrrr, this is different somehow. I don't know how yet, but I will find out and return to express my outrage and grief!!!! GRRR!!!!!
Quote:
"Under the health overhaul, children can remain on their parents' health insurance plans until they turn 26, and families have flocked to sign up young adults making the transition to work in a challenging economic environment".

They aren't on your dime, they're on the dime of their parents..Take it easy champ.
Quote:
Haha I was being sarcastic. I thought my exaggeration would reveal that.
I got it and I thought it was a great post. In fact, I thought it was so good, I'm going to have to give you a great big REP for it.

Here goes......

Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm new and finding out slowly how nuts people are here. My apologies.
Tread slowly as you will be shocked by the madness. Seriously.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Insurance companies don't hate opportunities. They want more of them. Remember that yesterday I was reading about how poor insurance companies are being forced into raising premiums, or poor them being forced into spending more of the premiums on health care. Or that how having more people in the system is raising your premiums? They all make for cute excuses, and some of them also happen to be what these health insurance companies want opponents to be screaming. It works to their advantage. Remember, health care reform was supposedly a plan to kill the health insurance company. Were the people screaming that lying or are delusional?
It would take me a year here to MAYBE bring you up to speed on insurance funding mechanisms, risk transfer, how premiums are arrived at, regulatory issues and so forth that I've dealt for 20 years. You keep trying to dumb down the conversation to your knowledge level and when I try to drag you into the deep end of the pool you start calling it excuses or whatever merely because you don't get it.

Again, go trade one-liner jibes with the faux news guys, I've wasted enough time here.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Tread slowly as you will be shocked by the madness. Seriously.
Sage advice.

Moving right along. IMO here are a fews ways for the government to address the expansion of health insurance to individuals....some would IMO be a disaster while others I think are quite workable.

Disaster Examples:
1) National Flood Insurance Program
http://banking.senate.gov/public/ind...0-ecf467bbe224

2) Illinois pre-paid college tuition program, 1.6billion in the hole and not selling currently.

3) Citizens Insurance - Florida....the ticking timebomb of maybe $200billion?
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not Disasters:
1) Many risk pools, especially with regards to auto insurance.
States That Have Risk Pools

The main difference is that the government operated programs tend to be utter failures where if they work with existing private insurers via laws, regulations and oversight and then let the private insurers administrate things it's historically worked well.

For example, in assigned risk auto insurance a driver with a bad record pays high (but still subsidized rates)....but at least they are paying something in because in the real world without this they'd pay nothing in drive anyway and then you still have them contributing costs but no premiums. In this example, you and I subsidizing the high-risk driver increases our premiums but NOT as much as it would otherwise...so to look at it another way it could be viewed as a premium decrease vs. not helping subsidize.

Same sort of thing IMO for health insurance where a person at least contributing some premium is better than them not....but still showing up at a emergency room. So, by paying more in our premiums via subsidy we could decrease uncollectible accounts and lessen the "unseen" subsidy we are already paying for the uninsured. We could go on into a lot more detail but that's the gist of the situation.

However, it's NOT free. People will have to pay in and depending upon how the coverage is mandated or implemented there are those that may bear more of the cost and see rate increases in the short term.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would take me a year here to MAYBE bring you up to speed on insurance funding mechanisms, risk transfer, how premiums are arrived at, regulatory issues and so forth that I've dealt for 20 years. You keep trying to dumb down the conversation to your knowledge level and when I try to drag you into the deep end of the pool you start calling it excuses or whatever merely because you don't get it.

Again, go trade one-liner jibes with the faux news guys, I've wasted enough time here.
Lets get going then, on the side however, so we can focus back on the subject at hand and your arguments on it. Dumbing down argument would be about trying to "educate others" about a deflection such as "insurance funding mechanisms".

Or, just admit that you would rather not touch questioning of your claims about how insurance companies actually supported the idea of health care reform and were going gaga over it, paying for it to be taken up and be passed than opposing it.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
But they didn't work for it!!!! Outraged!!! GRRRRRR!!!! If they get sick, I don't want to pay for them to get better. I don't care about other people, only myself and my cat!!!! GRRR!! OUTRAGE!!!

Why should they be given the opportunity to get better on my dime? HUH??? Can anybody tell me?!?! Grr!!!

I never use anything publicly funded...well I guess I drive to work on public roads. And I did go to public schools. Oh and there is the public library that I use frequently. But Grrrr, this is different somehow. I don't know how yet, but I will find out and return to express my outrage and grief!!!! GRRR!!!!!
Ok, then you can continue to pay for the continuing closing of hospitals because the sick are going to be seen later on in the ER for free, uhm excuse me, will be paid for by the hospital which writes it off to be paid for by you the tax payer

Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Lets get going then, on the side however, so we can focus back on the subject at hand and your arguments on it. Dumbing down argument would be about trying to "educate others" about a deflection such as "insurance funding mechanisms".

Or, just admit that you would rather not touch questioning of your claims about how insurance companies actually supported the idea of health care reform and were going gaga over it, paying for it to be taken up and be passed than opposing it.
Obama's health care plan helped by drug industry

Stocks: The New Obama Portfolio: Aetna - BusinessWeek

There is more but let's savor the moment shall we?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So it is all about you? Why don't you blame the insurance companies who raised your premiums? Another math problem for you: how many people could be insured per year with just the salary of the health insurance company CEO?

Health Insurance Company CEOs Total Compensation in 2008 : HEALTH REFORM WATCH
Quote:
Aetna's chairman and former CEO, Ronald A. Williams, is one of 10 people appointed Thursday to President Obama's Management Advisory Board.
Aetna's Ronald A. Williams Appointed To Obama's Management Advisory Board - Connecticut Insurance

I can't wait to hear this dooooooozy of an excuse.
At least you provided me with a great laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies