Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
good news. I'd much rather have teens smoking weed than drinking...
As I see it drinking is much more harmful. I think this should go in the category, wait until your 21. That's what I always tried to encourage my kids. It's out there and it's naive to believe if they really want to experience drugs or alcohol they wait. But encouraging a time frame is a good idea, kind of gives them an age to look forward to, if they want to try it. By then, you can hope they'll move on.

Brains are young and some people are way to easily addicted to certain things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
As I see it drinking is much more harmful. I think this should go in the category, wait until your 21. That's what I always tried to encourage my kids. It's out there and it's naive to believe if they really want to experience drugs or alcohol they wait. But encouraging a time frame is a good idea, kind of gives them an age to look forward to, if they want to try it. By then, you can hope they'll move on.

Brains are young and some people are way to easily addicted to certain things.
This is where the long arm of the parent should come in. It's not naive to believe that, if you actualy pay atention to you're children, and you give the major consequenses for doing it. If you really know you're kids then you know where to hit them with the consequenses. I'm a teen and I don't believe that you should "encourage", I believe in the whole "spare the rod spoil the child" route because it has served me very well.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
"(CBS/AP) Results from the latest teen survey from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) are a mixed bag. The survey showed fewer teens are turning to alcohol and cigarettes than ever before. But the "Monitoring the Future" survey also found that marijuana use is rising steadily among America's teens."

Marijuana use up, alcohol use down among U.S. teens: Report - HealthPop - CBS News

So how is that Prohibition working out? You know the War on Drugs that keeps Cannabis out of schools and out of kids reach. Education and regulation seems to be the better way.
Good to hear that teens are using less of the dangerous stuff.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,351 times
i was exposed to weed but i have nevr smoked it.

i just dont see the point of looking like and acting like a mindless zombie for several hours. now alcohol is where its at

Old 12-15-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
This is where the long arm of the parent should come in. It's not naive to believe that, if you actualy pay atention to you're children, and you give the major consequenses for doing it. If you really know you're kids then you know where to hit them with the consequenses. I'm a teen and I don't believe that you should "encourage", I believe in the whole "spare the rod spoil the child" route because it has served me very well.
I meant it was naive to think, they may not try. Weed and alcohol, where not really and issue we had to deal with sharply. My kids were fine with the wait until 21. But i can't say with out a doubt, they didn't try before. They didn't get caught my us or the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
i was exposed to weed but i have nevr smoked it.

i just dont see the point of looking like and acting like a mindless zombie for several hours. now alcohol is where its at
Well, not a zombie, but it brings out the beast in some!!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,949 times
Marijuana is better for you... i mean they both suck, but the only reason alcohol is legal and weed is not is because alcohol has been apart of society for so long. Sure, weed's bad for your body, but nobody has ever overdosed on weed and died, and while it slows you down, the effects of alcohol can be so much more dangerous.

They're both poison, but alcohols a much stronger poison, and its sad society has fallen so that so many people that suffer from its effects.

So if teens are switching to weed instead of alcohol, im happy, because drunk driving will go down and alcohol poisoning will go down.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmania View Post
Marijuana is better for you... i mean they both suck, but the only reason alcohol is legal and weed is not is because alcohol has been apart of society for so long. Sure, weed's bad for your body, but nobody has ever overdosed on weed and died, and while it slows you down, the effects of alcohol can be so much more dangerous.

They're both poison, but alcohols a much stronger poison, and its sad society has fallen so that so many people that suffer from its effects.

So if teens are switching to weed instead of alcohol, im happy, because drunk driving will go down and alcohol poisoning will go down.
SMOKING marijuana isn't the healthiest thing you can do.

But you can cook it, make butter out of it and cook with that, and vaporize it. None of which have the smoke that is harmful.

There is not one study that shows that regular long term use is harmful, slows brain function, or does anything negative to adults who use it responsibly.

No one has ever overdosed on marijuana, ever.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM

332 posts, read 1,018,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

But you can cook it, make butter out of it and cook with that, and vaporize it. None of which have the smoke that is harmful.

There is not one study that shows that regular long term use is harmful, slows brain function, or does anything negative to adults who use it responsibly.

thats what i was saying, and i never said slowing down was a long term thing, its a short term effect. I agree with you, why are you making it sound like i was saying things i wasnt.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Sure,Newt Gingrich: “Death Penalty for those who Smoke Marijuana” | ChristWire
“See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral,” Gingrich told Wall Street Journal reporter Hilary Stout in 1996. “Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”

Gingrich Proposed the Death Penalty for Pot Smokers -- Even Though He Admitted to Smoking it Himself | Drugs | AlterNet
LOL, what a lame way to try to justify your prior use of pot from the past.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I have a friend who's been smoking since he was 18 and now almost 60. They did a full exam of lungs, chest and his breathing capabilities. He didn't mention he'd been smoking most his life time, the test never even showed any damage and the doctor didn't mention anything.

Freedom of choice, to bad some feel it's one of the worst things, people can do with their own body!!

By the way, maybe no one has overdosed, but they can spin out, you know one toke over the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies