Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:34 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If you do it for decades and decades, yes.

But McDonalds and soda, unlike marijuana (or alcohol), don't alter your mental state.

No, it shouldn't be "their choice." They're teenagers.

They absolutely do alter your mental state. Everything you put into your body alters your mental state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
So does Alcohol though. Although it is in a persons best interest to stay away from drugs or drinking. If they want to do it, let them do it. They know the risks, they are aware, they choose to do it anyway. You will never be able to stop them, no matter how many laws we pass.
Of course, and that's why I said "or alcohol" in parentheses. Alcohol is already illegal for teenagers (the people we're talking about in this thread).

I think marijuana should be legal for adults 21 and older, just like alcohol. This would actually help reduce use by teens (drug dealers don't ask for ID).

Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They absolutely do alter your mental state. Everything you put into your body alters your mental state.
You're aware of the distinction.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,495 times
Quote:
Of course, and that's why I said "or alcohol" in parentheses. Alcohol is already illegal for teenagers.

I think marijuana should be legal for adults 21 and older, just like alcohol.
I agree with you about being 21 to have to buy, BUT, like alcohol, teenagers will find a way to buy it anyway. I mean its not that hard for anyone under 21 to get alcohol these days.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Interesting observation on this topic;

A study reported last month in the Journal of Epidemiology and Public Health found that smart kids are especially likely to use drugs as teenagers and adults. In data from the 1970 British Cohort Study, IQ at age 5 was positively associated with cannabis use at age 16 among girls and boys, cannabis and cocaine use at age 30 among women, and amphetamine and MDMA use at age 30 among men.

Smart Kids Do Drugs - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Assuming a lot of teens aren't doing both, a big assumption I know,.. would you rather have your kid smoking pot or drinking alcohol? The answer is obvious.

Of course the government doesn't see it that way because the crooks, er, public servants are all on the drug war gravy train busy promoting reefer madness BS..
Yeap and now Gingrich wants the death penalty for marijuana smugglers. The government wants us to believe drugs are smuggled into the USA, that they actually have no control of what comes in.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You're aware of the distinction.
Yes, but it's not that black and white. Everything you eat or drink alters your mental state. A sugary soft drink can boost your attitude, so can coffee. In fact, coffee has a huge impact on your mental state.

Our government has no business telling me I can't drink coffee and sugary soft drinks just like they have no business telling me I can't smoke pot.

I don't want government deciding what foods or other substances I can and cannot drink, eat or smoke. That is NOT a valid function of government.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yeap and now Gingrich wants the death penalty for marijuana smugglers. The government wants us to believe drugs are smuggled into the USA, that they actually have no control of what comes in.

If that is in fact true, Gingrich is an idiot.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Over 90% of all drugs imported to the United States make it to market.

The drug war is a complete and utter failure, and one of the worst things we've ever spent tax payer money on.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, but it's not that black and white. Everything you eat or drink alters your mental state. A sugary soft drink can boost your attitude, so can coffee. In fact, coffee has a huge impact on your mental state.

Our government has no business telling me I can't drink coffee and sugary soft drinks just like they have no business telling me I can't smoke pot.

I don't want government deciding what foods or other substances I can and cannot drink, eat or smoke. That is NOT a valid function of government.
OK, but I assume you're an adult. This thread is about marijuana and alcohol use by teens. Do you feel that teenagers should be allowed to drink and smoke pot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies