Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,485,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I'm not doing it.

And there is your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,784,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Who fault is that? What did you do while you were at school?
Lots of people didn't do the right thing at a younger age and society craps on them for being broke and alone at a older age and you ask why people don't want low wage jobs, probably has something to do with having a good image.... Like all those single moms who buy a 300k houses without any help and lose the job and ask for help. That's the way the system is set up, to keep you spending.

You probably drive a nice car, when a pos Honda would do just fine but you'd say you earned it.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Most likely minimum wage jobs, can't blame them. If i made 40k at my last job I'm not working for 15k a year sorry....
So what are you? Some kind of aristocrat? Too much royal blood that you cannot lower yourself to work like the commoners? You'd rather have working people's hard earned incomes confiscated to keep you living in style while not working again ever?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,868,964 times
Quote:
Lots of people didn't do the right thing at a younger age and society craps on them for being broke and alone at a older age and you ask why people don't want low wage jobs, probably has something to do with having a good image.... Like all those single moms who buy a 300k houses without any help and lose the job and ask for help. That's the way the system is set up, to keep you spending.
Oh boo freakin hoo. Don't be a single mom and buy a 300k house. Be a god damn adult.

Quote:
You probably drive a nice car, when a pos Honda would do just fine but you'd say you earned it.
If he does, he does, and if he loses his job, he'd better sell it and downgrade. It's not your responsibility nor is it mine.

Quote:
If unskilled jobs paid 15 a hour or at least 30k a year you'll see less people on unemployment but when you see alot of modern day slave wages that can't take you outta moms basement, go ahead and get mad all you want bro.. I'm not doing it.
Hey I'm fine with that, the problem arises when you demand other people's money to fund your spoiled crap mentality.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
If I became unemployed at this point I would do whatever was needed to collect as much unemployment as possible. With the additional 60 hours per week I would have available I would use the time to think up or find a business opportunity. The two+ years of unemployment would keep us housed, fed and internetted while I made the new business profitable enough to support me and the family.

As I expect to retire in a couple of years I plan on using my retirement income to do pretty much the same. Use the time and money to stay housed fed and internetted while I started a business of my own.

I may not be young but, despite the opinions of some of my right wing critics, my brain is not dead yet.

FWIW - Both of my cars are worth about 2 grand each. The Subie has about 200 k miles and the Buick about 150 k. I just spent nearly a grand to keep them running. That is less than the 5 to 8 k needed for a decent used car and way less than the interest on a new car loan.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM

What you just described is illegal in NH.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,742,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Wow. Quite the mental gymnastics you've got going there. You do realize that someone can find a high paying job while currently working right?
And you do realize that many employers will not consider someone who is currently unemployed?

As for the OP: yet another 'blame the victims' hit piece.

Whatever.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM

And thats the #2 reason to take any job available.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times
Quote:

Public library has internet for free.

People make these types of choices all around the globe I'm not sure why Americans think they don't have to. Times are changing, adapt or die.

I use the internet to make money, and "free" internet at the library would not be an acceptable option for me. Specifically, there are many moneymaking opportunities on Craigslist, and I would miss out on most of them if I had to rely on free access at libraries, because they come and go very quickly and many are gone within an hour of being posted.

Getting home internet was an important adaptation for me.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times
Quote:
Who fault is that? What did you do while you were at school?

I pursued a degree to prepare for law school. For good measure I picked up a minor in comp sci to supplement it. Then tuition inflation priced law school out of reach and the then-emerging PC rendered my mainframe and assembly language skills obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies