Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I need some help.

It is bigotry to not support gay people getting married.
It is not bigotry to suppress freedom of speech.

having a problem with this...
Freedom of speech means that the government cannot prevent an entity from stating their opinion. The government is not hauling the CEO off to jail, therefore his freedom of speech is preserved.

But to expect that speech does not have consequences is foolish.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 PM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
To actively give money to groups that bar homosexuals from equality however is pretty bad. It can easily be seen as hateful.
It is easy if you want to see it.

It is truly an emotional isuue.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Freedom of speech means that the government cannot prevent an entity from stating their opinion. The government is not hauling the CEO off to jail, therefore his freedom of speech is preserved.

I have no problem with your disagreeing with Chick Fil A.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
It is easy if you want to see it.

It is truly an emotional isuue.
It's not emotional to see barring homosexuals from equality as hatred.

It's logical.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Every single civilization in the history of the world has made marriage a vital institution for the stability of the civilization and marriage has always been between a man and a woman. period. no exceptions.

There have been some civilizations that allowed a man to have more than one marriage at one time but all were between the man and a woman.

Even the greeks who had no issue with homosexuality were very much concerned that their men marry women. in fact in Sparta arguably the most pro-gay civilization in the history of history held a festaval every year where men of marriage age who were yet single, were forced to dress like girls and prance before the crowd as they were taunted. The goal was to humiliate them into finding some girl and settling down.

It cannot be bigotry to simply agree with every single civilization that has ever existed in the history of ever.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I do agree with you that freedom of speech is freedome from government.

I still would argue that this boycott is as bigotted as CFA is being accused of being.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
It's not emotional to see barring homosexuals from equality as hatred.

It's logical.
You just like to argue I think. Are you a teen? Just kidding.

No it is not logic to think diagreeing equals hate.

You may fund an organization that supports taking guns away from lawful citizens but that does not make it hate.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Chick Fil A has a right to invest in any lawful manner they choose.
Gays are not bad people not good people because they are gay. The same is true for Christians. However, if anyone believes that gays should not mary, they have a right in this country to fund their belief.
People used to say the same thing about giving women and minorities the right to vote, to earn equal pay, to drink out of the same water fountains...and I'm sure they all donated to the KKK and other organizations of that ilk. This is a civil rights issue.

I will say it isn't very often that you get to see a company president cripple his own business, though. Good job Mr. Cathy.
It's a shame because Chick-Fil-A is one of the better fast food franchises, and I used to eat lunch there a few times a week. Not any more...

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I do agree with you that freedom of speech is freedome from government.

I still would argue that this boycott is as bigotted as CFA is being accused of being.
Exactly!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
People used to say the same thing about giving women and minorities the right to vote, to earn equal pay, to drink out of the same water fountains...and I'm sure they all donated to the KKK and other organizations of that ilk. This is a civil rights issue.

I will say it isn't very often that you get to see a company president cripple his own business, though. Good job Mr. Cathy.
It's a shame because Chick-Fil-A is one of the better fast food franchises, and I used to eat lunch there a few times a week. Not any more...
People used to say alot of things but to try to equate the KKK with CFA is quite the stretch!

It is Mr. Cathy's company to with as he pleases, and he has done very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies