Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Every single civilization in the history of the world has made marriage a vital institution for the stability of the civilization and marriage has always been between a man and a woman. period. no exceptions.

There have been some civilizations that allowed a man to have more than one marriage at one time but all were between the man and a woman.

Even the greeks who had no issue with homosexuality were very much concerned that their men marry women. in fact in Sparta arguably the most pro-gay civilization in the history of history held a festaval every year where men of marriage age who were yet single, were forced to dress like girls and prance before the crowd as they were taunted. The goal was to humiliate them into finding some girl and settling down.

It cannot be bigotry to simply agree with every single civilization that has ever existed in the history of ever.
Great points, Ferd.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
People used to say alot of things but to try to equate the KKK with CFA is quite the stretch!

It is Mr. Cathy's company to with as he pleases, and he has done very well.
I was trying to make the point that gay rights is a civil rights issue. Mr Cathy has very publicly made his company's position clear, and now consumers can make their opinion count. I'm on Team Muppets.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Being for traditional marriage per one's religious documents is not hatred.

Believing that said religiously-based beliefs should have any bearing on law is ignorance.

That being said, there are numerous individuals who, for one reason or another, do outright act with bigotry and hatred.

Again, he is free to believe as he wishes. When he uses company profits (aka, money from sales) to donate to organizations who push for legal recognition of their religious beliefs, I won't give money to them.

However, marriage in the eyes of the government also includes protections and benefits for the people in the relationship, even without children. If two people are dedicated to each other, why is it needless or ridiculous to ensure that they get the same as other people whom are dedicated to each other? Take, for instance, FMLA. It's a program that allows a person to get time off (without pay) to care for an ailing spouse, child, or parent. Did you know that even a married same-sex couple cannot use FMLA?

Marriage in today's society has evolved to so much more than just raising children. Though, if two homosexuals want to raise a child, I don't see why they should be seen as "lesser" if they are perfectly capable of providing a loving home.

Family Research Council, the Marriage and Family Foundation, and Exodus International.

I don't specifically refer to them as "hate groups", more like "ignorant people who think their religion should matter to the government".
Seriously??? hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am familiar with all of those groups!! Please copy and paste the hate filled statements from their websites!! I looked and couldn't find any......

Do they view the world the way you do??? Heck no! But is that suppose to automatically mean they HATE YOU or HATE GAY FOLK!!!??

You people are afraid of debating this issue so you hurl names to shut debate down!!

Joe Dallas is the leader of Exodus......he is an EX-Homosexual! You people hate him because he kills your argument of this being genetic! His life is proof that it's a choice!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
I need some help.

It is bigotry to not support gay people getting married.
It is not bigotry to suppress freedom of speech.

having a problem with this...
Nobody is suppressing his freedom of speech, though. Everyone is stating that he is free to think as he wishes. However, seeing as how he donates company profits to organizations that promote ideals that we don't like, we won't provide our money to the company to become a contribution.

Althoooouuugh, I do believe that the "Freedom of Speech" thing listed in the Constitution refers to the government (at any level) preventing or hindering it.

Quote:
I still would argue that this boycott is as bigotted as CFA is being accused of being.
So people are bigoted because they don't want their money going to an organization that promotes law based upon religion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Seriously??? hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am familiar with all of those groups!! Please copy and paste the hate filled statements from their websites!! I looked and couldn't find any......

Do they view the world the way you do??? Heck no! But is that suppose to automatically mean they HATE YOU or HATE GAY FOLK!!!??

You people are afraid of debating this issue so you hurl names to shut debate down!!
Perhaps you missed the part where I explicitly states that I don't consider them hategroups?

Because if you did, I'll state it again: I don't consider them hate groups. I consider them ignorant and arrogant fools who honestly think that their flavour of religion means a darn thing in regards to legal affairs.

Quote:
Joe Dallas is the leader of Exodus......he is an EX-Homosexual! You people hate him because he kills your argument of this being genetic! His life is proof that it's a choice!
I've never once stated that I hate Joe Dallas. I am indifferent to him as a person. I do, however, feel that he is just another person who thinks that his flavour of religion should mean something to the government.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
I do agree with you that freedom of speech is freedome from government.

I still would argue that this boycott is as bigotted as CFA is being accused of being.
You have a right to say whatever you wish. You have a right to use your money to fund whatever causes you wish.

I have the exact same rights. That includes the right NOT to use my money to fund a cause I disagree with. When CFA funds anti-gay causes, they are using MY money to do. I choose not to give them my money to be used for such a purpose.

That is a GOOD thing. That is free speech in action. You have the right to say whatever you want and the right to use your money as you wish. What you don't have is freedom from the consequences of your choices. Boycotting a company is a natural extension of freedom of speech.

Right wingers should be celebrating the boycott even if they don't agree and continue using CFA. Let's say you found out tomorrow that McDonalds was using their profits to fund abortion clinics (I'm assuming you're against abortion, if not just pick whatever cause you feel strongly about.) Would you continue eating there?

It is ridiculous to think a person should continue giving money to a company that funds causes they feel strongly against. It's almost anti-American to suggest that doing so is an attack on free speech when instead it's a celebration of the very same.

As for tradition- slavery has a proud tradition across all civilizations. The fact that something has been done in the past, even for centuries, has no bearing on if it should be continued.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
I do agree with you that freedom of speech is freedome from government.

How? Eating at Chickfila means that some percentage of the purchase is going to organizations that I find abhorrent. Even if its only pennies, I do not want money I have earned to go toward such organizations. How is that bigotted?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I also shop at JCP.

I think we have become stupid and mean as a society. Societal stability has cracked and no one anywhere is attempting to repair it.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How? Eating at Chickfila means that some percentage of the purchase is going to organizations that I find abhorrent. Even if its only pennies, I do not want money I have earned to go toward such organizations. How is that bigotted?
watching TV gives money to people I find abhorrent. I suspect buying gas gives money to people you find abhorrent.

abhorrent.... geez everyone we do not agree with is abhorrent... you dont get that this is a problem?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Nobody is suppressing his freedom of speech, though. Everyone is stating that he is free to think as he wishes. However, seeing as how he donates company profits to organizations that promote ideals that we don't like, we won't provide our money to the company to become a contribution.

Althoooouuugh, I do believe that the "Freedom of Speech" thing listed in the Constitution refers to the government (at any level) preventing or hindering it.

So people are bigoted because they don't want their money going to an organization that promotes law based upon religion?

Perhaps you missed the part where I explicitly states that I don't consider them hategroups?

Because if you did, I'll state it again: I don't consider them hate groups. I consider them ignorant and arrogant fools who honestly think that their flavour of religion means a darn thing in regards to legal affairs.

Then you aren't reading!! I specifically asked for the hate groups that you people are accusing them of giving money to and you gave me those!! If those are not the hate groups I asked for, then don't present them! Fair???

So read carefully:::: Please give me some links that show Chick Fil A giving money to hate groups!!!

You guys are making false accusations....so back them up!!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Then you aren't reading!! I specifically asked for the hate groups that you people are accusing them of giving money to and you gave me those!! If those are not the hate groups I asked for, then don't present them! Fair???

So read carefully:::: Please give me some links that show Chick Fil A giving money to hate groups!!!

You guys are making false accusations....so back them up!!
It doesn't matter if YOU consider them hate groups or not. I'm not required to give my money to ANY CAUSE I don't agree with, hate group of not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies