Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
God makes the rules, not man. Homosexuality is a sin.
Seeing as God has been mighty quiet over the last couple of millennia, we've been forced to make do with his self-appointed spokespersons, who sadly seem to have been afflicted with all the human weaknesses. They sure as all out have had no problem making their own rules as time progressed.
And no ruler is as scary as the one who firmly believes he's carrying out God's will. Because if you're acting on behalf of God, what actions can be off limits?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
America was founded by people who were informed by the Enlightenment and by Deism not by Christianity, they went to extraordinary lengths to ensure that there was no state religion, nothing that could be used to exclude others based solely on religion.
Yes, but they meant that no religion should be above others! They even address God in the Constitution!
The presidents are sworn in using a Christian bible.

Are you guys so blinded by your agenda that you will deny that America was founded by Christians?

We still use Christian ethics and morality as a foundation of this society: we do not allow polygamy and celebrate Christmas. Are you blind?

There is a huge difference between official state religion and using common christian values as a ethical foundation. Most people are not church goers yet still use Judeo-Christian ethics as a moral standard...

Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Anyway, I am happy to be informed of Chick Fil A's policies and they will of course not see a dime of my business. It's not as if I'm short on options.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Anyway, I am happy to be informed of Chick Fil A's policies and they will of course not see a dime of my business. It's not as if I'm short on options.
It's not like a leftist boycott will make much of a difference. That only makes me want to visit Chick-Fil-A more.

Chick-Fil-A, regardless of its location, is PACKED every day for lunch and has a substantial crowd for supper.

Chick-Fil-A is awesome.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yes, but they meant that no religion should be above others!
Including, of course, the option of no religion.

Quote:
They even address God in the Constitution!
Nope. Unless you count "in the year of our Lord", which is stretching it.

Quote:
By custom and choice, not by law. Several Presidents chose not to. And let me save you some trouble by pointing out that "So help me God" is not in the official oath.

Quote:
Are you guys so blinded by your agenda that you will deny that America was founded by Christians?
Founded by some of the smartest political minds to come out of the Enlihghtenment, which is why they designed their new country as one that kept law and religion completely separate.

Quote:
We still use Christian ethics and morality as a foundation of this society: we do not allow polygamy and celebrate Christmas. Are you blind?
You might want to look up the Pilgrims' views on celebrating Christmas.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Precisely! Good for you for standing up for what is morally just, despite the threat of a god somewhere sending you to Hell for it

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Yes, but they meant that no religion should be above others! They even address God in the Constitution!

"God" could mean Adonai, Allah, Buddha, Brahma, Ahura Mazda, Confucius, Osirus, Zeus, Serapis, or Mother Nature. NO WHERE IS "JESUS" OR "YHWH" NAMED IN THE CONSTITUTION.

NO! YOU ARE WRONG. THOMAS JEFFERSON WAS SWORN IN BY PLACING HIS RIGHT HAND ON THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES. Anyway, when we have our first Jewish or Hindu or Buddhist President you will see them swearing the oath on the TORAH or the BHAGAVAD GITA or the DHAMMAPADA
. You are aware that there is no law that says the President-Elect has to swear on the Bible, right? That is entirely up to the person being sworn.

The United States of America was founded by white men, most of whom were wealthy and slave-owners, and many of them identified themselves as Protestant Christians ... BUT NOT ALL. These gentlemen wore powdered wigs, velvet and satin knee-breeches, lace-edged shirts and silk waistcoats. Many of the "Founding Fathers" had a skepticism, distrust, and even hostility to the organized Christian religion: men like Thomas Paine (an atheist) and others like Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, who considered themselves Deists and Unitarians ... BUT NOT CHRISTIANS ... they were men of the Age of Enlightenment after all. So what is your point????

The ethics and morality of this society, in my view, pre-date Christianity. Our ethics and morality stem from Greco-Roman philosophy and political ideology - this country aspires to the ideals of Republicanism, Democracy, Constitutional representation, etc. These are ideals formulated in ancient Greece and Rome. That is why we have a SENATE. That is why our government buildings are in a classical architectural style that is Greco-Roman ... and not in a "Christian" Gothic style like in the United Kingdom. Besides our ethics and morality owe as much to the Code of Hammurbi, Zoroastrianism, and Judaism as it does to Christianity.

Listen - I live within a walking distance of the birthplaces of this great nation: not only Independence Hall, but Carpenters Hall where the House of Burgesses first met, the City Tavern, and all the other places associated with the Continental Congress, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. I am in awe every day I pass by these historic places.

Don't lecture me on American history or our ethics and philosophical heritage. I am a historian, on the Board of Governors of the local Historical Society, and very well read on the subject.

You are the victim of the fundamentalist Christian revisionism of American History ... something that is not new, it started with the Victorians in the mid-Nineteenth Century. It is a myth. Just like the story that Betsy Ross designed the first Stars and Stripes.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Why Chick-Fil-A proves being Christian is Good for Business | Crown Rights

Good news for chik fil a. Seems the lefties are not hurting their business, and their right to express their beliefs, at all!

It appears their profits are better than ever.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Why Chick-Fil-A proves being Christian is Good for Business | Crown Rights

Good news for chik fil a. Seems the lefties are not hurting their business, and their right to express their beliefs, at all!

It appears their profits are better than ever.
I don't think you understand how business results are calculated, or reported.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't think you understand how business results are calculated, or reported.
Speak for yourself. I own a very successful business and am in the process of starting a second one. But thanks for attempting deflection and showing your intelligence level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies