Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 10:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
At 85, after a life in politics spanning five decades (he retired from the Senate in 1987), Mr. Conservative has found himself an unlikely new career: as a gay rights activist. While that's not his sole pursuit – he returned to Capitol Hill yesterday to testify in favor of scenic overflights of the Grand Canyon – in recent years he's championed homosexuals serving in the military and has worked locally to stop businesses in Phoenix from hiring on the basis of sexual orientation. This month he signed on as honorary co-chairman of a drive to pass a federal law preventing job discrimination against homosexuals. The effort, dubbed Americans Against Discrimination, is being spearheaded by the Human Rights Campaign Fund, the influential gay lobbying organization.

"The big thing is to make this country, along with every other country in the world with a few exceptions, quit discriminating against people just because they're gay," Goldwater asserts. "You don't have to agree with it, but they have a constitutional right to be gay. And that's what brings me into it."
There was a time when a good part of the Republican Party believed in individual liberty and limited government. The title is misleading. Goldwater was always a classical liberal he never needed to "turn left".

Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times
Default sharing

I don’t think we have Chik-Fil-A in Seattle

Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood
So,do you mean that you actively have to think, weigh your options, and make a decision as to which sex you are going to have sex with? Thank goodness I never had to make a choice! For me as a female, I have no choice but to have sex with males, since I am not in the least bit sexually attracted to females. As a male, are you saying that you are sexually attracted to males too, so that you have to actually make a choice between whether you are going to have sex with a male or female? I sure am glad I don't have that problem!
You have a choice in your sexual partners. You do not have a choice in who you are sexually attracted to. A large majority of us are sexually attracted to one sex only.

http://nf.cozycot.com/editorsblogs/C...-CoupleNEW.jpg

I prefer the gal.
As a female, I am not in the least bit sexually attracted to other females, and the thought of having sex with them would make me want to hurl. Females are not in my field of "choices" of sexual partners. Do you honestly consider men as potential sexual partners for yourself, even though you are not sexually attracted to them?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Anyone really surprised that a sin-based business is giving money to hate groups?
Not at all. And I can't believe people are actually trying to argue that CFA isn't sin-based. Where's that picture of the lie they told again?

Ohh, I see. It's only a sin for liberals or non-Christians to lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why does anyone give a rats ass what anyone else is doing about this?

Its a personal decision. Eat there or don't, for whatever reason.
It's a personal decision that can affect many, however indirectly. Giving money to the cause of keeping gays from having the right to get married or adopt is a huge no-no, morally speaking. Why? Because no harm has been consistently linked to homosexuality. Because no evidence has given us reason to discriminate against them in either way. Because the only consistent research keeps showing that gays are every bit as good as (if not better than) heterosexuals when it comes to both making marriage work and raising children.

Discrimination "just because" is an ENORMOUS problem. We wouldn't allow it against blacks; why should we allow it against homosexuals? And please don't tell me the two aren't comparable. Seeing as how it hasn't been firmly established whether some people are born gay, it very well could be comparable. To say it isn't = nothing but guesswork, and the law shouldn't be based on anyone's guessing. Not worth the risk of discriminating against someone for something they can't change, just to discriminate against someone for something that does no harm.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Do you honestly consider men as potential sexual partners for yourself, even though you are not sexually attracted to them?
No, of course not. Guess my post did not make that clear.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Not at all. And I can't believe people are actually trying to argue that CFA isn't sin-based. Where's that picture of the lie they told again?

Ohh, I see. It's only a sin for liberals or non-Christians to lie

It's a personal decision that can affect many, however indirectly. Giving money to the cause of keeping gays from having the right to get married or adopt is a huge no-no, morally speaking. Why? Because no harm has been consistently linked to homosexuality. Because no evidence has given us reason to discriminate against them in either way. Because the only consistent research keeps showing that gays are every bit as good as (if not better than) heterosexuals when it comes to both making marriage work and raising children.

Discrimination "just because" is an ENORMOUS problem. We wouldn't allow it against blacks; why should we allow it against homosexuals? And please don't tell me the two aren't comparable. Seeing as how it hasn't been firmly established whether some people are born gay, it very well could be comparable. To say it isn't = nothing but guesswork, and the law shouldn't be based on anyone's guessing. Not worth the risk of discriminating against someone for something they can't change, just to discriminate against someone for something that does no harm.

Thats a personal choice, whether or not its discrimination or not.

But just because someone eats there, or not, is a personal choice. The reason they choose to eat there, or not, is a personal choice.

It has nothing to do with the federal government. I choose not to spend my money at an institution that spends that money trying to enforce biblical laws in my country that isn't supposed to respect any establishment of religion.

Actually, the federal government shouldn't be picking and choosing winners. Married people should be no better then singles, and vice versa. There should be no federal recognition of marriage.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And that Boston's mayor is a liberal moron:

Radical imam OK but not Chick-fil-A - BostonHerald.com
Welcome to the New America. Double standards galore: Islam and atheism, good, even when they're intolerant. Christianity, bad, even though they probably contribute more to housing, feeding and clothing the poor than any other group in this country.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
On my way to Chic Fil A right after I get my haircut. Never been there before but I can't think of a better reason to go. What are my chances of meeting any gay people when I am there?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Welcome to the New America. Double standards galore: Islam and atheism, good, even when they're intolerant. Christianity, bad, even though they probably contribute more to housing, feeding and clothing the poor than any other group in this country.

AGAIN!!!!!

Christians have been banning business that they don't agree with for decades, by denying them business licenses in their towns. NOW you're upset because a liberal is threatening to do the same?

Hypocrites, one and all.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Thats a personal choice, whether or not its discrimination or not.
What do you mean?

Quote:
But just because someone eats there, or not, is a personal choice. The reason they choose to eat there, or not, is a personal choice.
No one's arguing that point. But not all choices are equal, particularly by moral standards.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the federal government. I choose not to spend my money at an institution that spends that money trying to enforce biblical laws in my country that isn't supposed to respect any establishment of religion.
And I salute you for it.

Quote:
Actually, the federal government shouldn't be picking and choosing winners. Married people should be no better then singles, and vice versa. There should be no federal recognition of marriage.
I agree. But so long as it's doing so, everyone should have the same rights unless there is damn good reason for it be otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies