Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,398,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You might disagree with that pov, but it's neither 'invalid,' 'unjustified,' or religious. Because expanding the current definition of civil marriage brings more people into the state-sanctioned marriage institution, it will be harder to get gov't. out altogether.
I've already said that if you're opposed to the government being involved in marriage altogether, fine. You are not in the wrong because you are not promoting discrimination. But it is you, not I, who should be fighting to get the government out of marriage, because it's your belief, not mine, that this is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
They've got more people than ever wanting to try their food, free publicity. "Their food is awesome" is repeated over and over and people tend to think with their stomachs over flimsy ideology and false senses of indignation. It will be interesting to see how many more Chick Fil As are built and how much more business they get.
Let's see some of these armchair fascists get up off their duffs and try to picket these restaurants instead of just demanding other people don't eat there.
Boycotts are fine as long as YOU adhere to them and don't demand others do too.
"Demanding" others don't eat there is fine too. Look around on your screen right now. This is a discussion message board, in which people voice their opinions. We all have the (legal!) right to say and think whatever and give our money to whomever we want. I don't contest that facet of what it means to be an American any more than the next guy. But I've presented evidence to support my argument against the discrimination Dan Cathy has promoted. No one seems to be able to justify this discrimination with factual evidence. This is the difference.

That I choose to fight unjustifiable discrimination this way and not another is irrelevant.

Oh, and this...

"people tend to think with their stomachs over flimsy ideology and false senses of indignation."

What makes you call it "flimsy ideology and false senses of indignation"? And what's your point? Just because some people put selfish desires over a moral belief, does not make the belief any less correct.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
While we're at it lets boycott other similar types of businesses too...

- businesses owned by Jews that close on the Sabbath
- Muslim owned businesses that refuse to sell alcohol or pork
- Mormon owned businesses that refuse to sell caffeinated drinks

Let's start shipping all problem peoples to arctic Alaska so society can be purified. Worked for the Soviets!!
Anyone thinking this boycott is over religion really doesn't understand what's going on.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM

667 posts, read 517,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Anyone thinking this boycott is over religion really doesn't understand what's going on.
Then many, if not most, on this board that is for the boycott do not understand.

The anti-boycott is Aug 1.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
Then many, if not most, on this board that is for the boycott do not understand.
Most on this board is not boycotting Chic Fil A over religion.

Anyone thinking otherwise is just stupid.

We're not boycotting over their religion.

We're boycotting over their using their business to discriminate against homosexuals.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,724,229 times
Quote:

We're boycotting over their using their business to discriminate against homosexuals.

Did you boycott Obama or did you vote for him in 2008 when he held the same position on Gay Marriage as the owners of Chick fil A ?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Did you boycott Obama or did you vote for him in 2008 when he held the same position on Gay Marriage as the owners of Chick fil A ?
That he was personally against gay marriage but would not use his political position to discriminate against them?

I've got no problem with people being personally against homosexual marriage.

It's when that "personal" intrudes on others that I have a problem with.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 PM

667 posts, read 517,183 times
Quote:

Most of anti-Chick Fil A comments have been about the family's religious views. To say otherwise is a poor attemp of clean up duty.

Homosexuals are discriminating against Chick Fil A for their religious beliefs.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,724,229 times
Quote:
That he was personally against gay marriage but would not use his political position to discriminate against them?

I've got no problem with people being personally against homosexual marriage.

It's when that "personal" intrudes on others that I have a problem with.

EXACTLY where and when does the owner of Chick fil A DISCRIMINATE against homosexuals?

Please name the instances with links to the stories.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,510,437 times
Chick-Fil-A's Winshape Foundation to my knowledge does give a dime for ads against gay marriage in states where that is on the ballot. They things to support families through counseling and retreat camps. It's not like they're using profit to pay for legal defense for people who murder gays.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,793,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Saying you are for family values is not discrimination. Gays are not turned away from eating there.
What is family values?? This type of crap exemplifies the warped understanding homophobes have. Gay people are anti-family?? This is the best propaganda phobes can come up with? Gay people are extremely pro-family. It is the heteros who make babies, then decide they don't want to be married, get divorced that are anti-family. It is estimated at least 37% of all babies born are unplanned. Imagine all these babies who often times, are born in a single parent house, which the tax payer must subsidize. Too often babies born don't have two loving parents who devote their lives to raising their kids responsibly, or have the incomes to properly support them. This is not good "family values."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies