Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
For your sake, jazzarama, I will clarify:

There is no justification for discriminating against homosexuals in this way. If you're okay with legal marriage and the benefits involved with it, you should be okay with it for both heterosexuals and homosexuals. If you're not okay with legal marriage and the benefits involved for either group of people, fine by me. But the discrimination is unjustifiable, by any means.
It comes down to no argument against ssm, religious or secular, is 'valid' or 'justifiable' to you because Your moral view is superior.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Purely a matter of collecting votes under the guise of humanitarian concern.
end of story.............
Spot on. It really is pathetic.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It comes down to no argument against ssm, religious or secular, is 'valid' or 'justifiable' to you because Your moral view is superior.
I've specified exactly what makes your arguments "against gay marriage" (but still for heterosexual marriage, right?) invalid. Anytime you'd like to respond directly to my counterarguments, you let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm being dramatic? Hmmm. You pointed out that there are two issues here. First, the laws that discriminate against sexual preference. The government shouldn't be involved in adoption and marriage. Those are private relationships that need no government interference. You (assuming you are gay) should be fighting to get the government out of everyone's life, not fighting for more government interference. You are actually quite lucky. You don't need to get a marriage license. You can just have a fabulous party.
But that wouldn't be equal rights, now would it? And no, I'm not gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can try to "educate" people about gay people all you like, and many STILL won't like you or what you do. Some people have religious ideas, some are just "wired" that way- to not like gay people. Kind of like gay people are wired to be gay.
You think you're telling me something I don't know? That some people are willfully ignorant? Lookit, your opinion is that government being involved in marriage itself is a problem and they should stay out of it. Mine is that the problem is discrimination against homosexuals. I don't want the government out of adoption procedures, are you kidding me? No child anywhere (in any state) should have to miss out on a good family all because the agency they've been handed to has a problem with gays, whites, blacks, hispanics, etc. It's not the child's fault, yet they will pay for it if the agency acts on a prejudice and the government doesn't prevent it.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 AM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You simply can not make these things up! Liberalsim truly IS a mental disorder.
Yes...They truly are a confused bunch. The left's love affair with Islam won't last forever.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Following Boston, Chicago and San Fransisco, Chick flop a is no longer welcome in Washington DC declared by the mayor.

Washington DC Mayor Vincent Gray Says No to Chick fil A and Calls It Hate Chicken | Advocate.com
Another treasonous elected official that is punishing free speech.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
This is a very simple issue. It has to do with the Constitution. A religion cannot be barred from erecting a house of worship, in this case a Mosque, regardless of what anyone else believes about the speech used inside -- like anti-gay speech. (If anti-gay beliefs were the test, the Catholics would have no place to worship.)

Granting a permit for a business has no constitutional protection. Therefore, the City is not barred from denying a permit for a business's beliefs about gays.

So, unless you want 'big government' to start deciding which religions are worthy of protection, you side with the constitution.

Saying that, there may be a free-speech argument -- Boston denied a permit because they disagreed with the company's message, which may be constitutionally protected. I just don't know, but will require a court test.

Last edited by MTAtech; 07-30-2012 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Consumers can shut down any business they want. Stop patronizing their business and they will close down. How a bigoted Chik-Fil-A can remain in NYU's GREENWICH VILLAGE with its large percentage of gays, and Non-Christians, is absurd. Maybe the negative publicity will get the word out. If the area people, and students, stop going there, they will be forced to leave. Good old American Supply and Demand.
Personally, I stopped going myself when I saw their "Closed on Sundays so our employees can worship". They only hire CHRISTIANS who worship on Sundays? No Jews need apply who worship on Saturdays? Seeing that sign showed me the type of business they are. Enough for me. Bye, bye, Chik-Fil-A. You don't get MY business. My right as a CONSUMER.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
For the record, Chick-Fil-A is so ****ing awesome, I'd still eat there if they were executing puppies in the kitchen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Bye, bye, Chik-Fil-A. You don't get MY business. My right as a CONSUMER.

It will be interesting to see how CFA fares over the next few weeks, months, years.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:32 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is a very simple issue. It has to do with the Constitution. A religion cannot be barred from erecting a house of worship, in this case a Mosque, regardless of what anyone else believes about the speech used inside -- like anti-gay speech. (If anti-gay beliefs were the test, the Catholics would have no place to worship.)

Granting a permit for a business has no constitutional protection. Therefore, the City is not barred from denying a permit for a business's beliefs about gays.

So, unless you want 'big government' to start deciding which religions are worthy of protection, you side with the constitution.

Saying that, there may be a free-speech argument -- Boston denied a permit because they disagreed with the company's message, which may be constitutionally protected. I just don't know, but will require a court test.
Does the constitution say that the city had to give the Muslims a 1.8 million dollar parcel of land for free? Does the constitution say that the Mayor had to deliver a speech at the ribbon cutting ceremony of the mosque? Is the company president's right to deliver his message protected under the Constitution?

Deflection FAIL.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Following Boston, Chicago and San Fransisco, Chick flop a is no longer welcome in Washington DC declared by the mayor.

Washington DC Mayor Vincent Gray Says No to Chick fil A and Calls It Hate Chicken | Advocate.com
very childish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies