Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:44 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
How do YOU spell M-O-R-O-N? Read a paragraph or two on economics (not Politics) better yet a book...would you?
Personal attacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I wasn't a big proponent of the tax cut, Areo. I didn't really care, but read the article. It looks like this is going to damage the economy, which is what the Republicans want to do. They are going to fight any kind of recovery tooth and nail throughout 2012.
Why would the republicans want to damage the very same economy that many democrats contend the republicas own and control?

By that logic we would expect them to advocate a complete elimination of the payroll tax, freeing up billions that could be spent at Wal-Mart, Target, Chil-Fil-A and Lowe's.

I simply don't comprehend this logic.

The real damage is long-term. Politicians tend to think short-sided.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I am starting to really hate both McConnell/Boehner and Pelosi/Reid. None of them have any interest in any bipartisan work. It is all about screwing the other side, all the damn time. I think we should throw the whole congressional leadership out and vote in some sensible people who can find some common ground and get something done. I don't doubt the Rs are throwing the people under the bus for partisan advantage, but the Ds do it too. I am tired of the never ending battles about EVERYTHING.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am starting to really hate both McConnell/Boehner and Pelosi/Reid. None of them have any interest in any bipartisan work. It is all about screwing the other side, all the damn time. I think we should throw the whole congressional leadership out and vote in some sensible people who can find some common ground and get something done.
Agreed.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Why would the republicans want to damage the very same economy that many democrats contend the republicas own and control?

By that logic we would expect them to advocate a complete elimination of the payroll tax, freeing up billions that could be spent at Wal-Mart, Target, Chil-Fil-A and Lowe's.

I simply don't comprehend this logic.

The real damage is long-term. Politicians tend to think short-sided.
And according to the OP, they are destroying the economy by not passing a continuation of the tax cuts, but the GOP actually wants the tax cuts for a YEAR, just like Obama..

Wouldnt this mean the Dems in the Senate are out to destroy the economy by going home?

These left wing kooks cant even find flaws in their own postings, and want us to talk them seriously.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I wasn't a big proponent of the tax cut, Areo. I didn't really care, but read the article. It looks like this is going to damage the economy, which is what the Republicans want to do. They are going to fight any kind of recovery tooth and nail throughout 2012.
Then why arent the Democrats in DC to iron out a deal?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about that prediction, WestCobb. There is a significant chance that the tax gimmicks and short-term tricks are undermining confidence--especially when everyone knows that Social security is not in great shape. The payroll tax gimmick hit the wall....and the Dow went up 300 points. The two month extension is a joke, and will only result in two more months of both parties peeing on their own neckties.

If the Republicans wanted to hurt the economy, they would have let Spendulous II and all the other interventions go sailing through, and they would be rolling over on all the job-killing regulation. The fact that they are fighting these things says they want a stronger economy.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am starting to really hate both McConnell/Boehner and Pelosi/Reid. None of them have any interest in any bipartisan work. It is all about screwing the other side, all the damn time. I think we should throw the whole congressional leadership out and vote in some sensible people who can find some common ground and get something done. I don't doubt the Rs are throwing the people under the bus for partisan advantage, but the Ds do it too. I am tired of the never ending battles about EVERYTHING.
Another word for "Finding common ground" is compromise. There is no compromise in Washington right now. Not when a large section of our elected leaders sign pledges to never compromise on the issues of the day. It's all about the money. There isn't enough to go around and everybody on all sides is fighting for what there is. Both political factions want to pass the payroll bill but how to pay for it and out of whose rice bowl is the question. I'm sure that many politicians yearn for the good old days of the Reagan and Bush administrations when they could pass enormous spending bills without worrying about funding them. Now everyone has to pay for the spending and that's where the lines are drawn in the sand.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
To quote one of the funniest posters on this site.
lol... I do love that poster. It's a great graphic depiction of about 90 percent of the content in this forum.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
If Obama's policies were so great it wouldn't make a difference. The economy would be on it's feet my now and there would be nothing Republicans could do about defeating Obama.

Instead he needs to blame them and everyone else it seems for his failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies