Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHOULD THE HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY BE NOT FOR PROFIT?
Yes. 36 50.70%
No. 32 45.07%
I could care less. 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

By the way, you have it backwards. They are given special tax consideration because of how they operate.
No, they are given preferential tax consideration because of how they are structured, which dictates how they operate.
You do know that you must first file articles of incorporation before starting a business and performing business operations. How you structure the business will dictate whether or not you will fall into a classification that is capable of being designated as a NPO. Business plan, structure, and filings first. Business operations after.

Seriously, I'm done splitting hairs with you. I get the impression that you would enjoy arguing with a rock simply for the sake of argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yes. Let's pay doctors, nurses, technologists, and administrative personnel in smiles and rainbows. That'll work.
Don't forget hugs.

Hugs, not drugs!

That will decrease healthcare costs!

Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No, they are given preferential tax consideration because of how they are structured, which dictates how they operate.
You do know that you must first file articles of incorporation before starting a business and performing business operations. How you structure the business will dictate whether or not you will fall into a classification that is capable of being designated as a NPO. Business plan, structure, and filings first. Business operations after.

Seriously, I'm done splitting hairs with you. I get the impression that you would enjoy arguing with a rock simply for the sake of argument.
Ok, so you are now back tracking from you original statement or you don't understand it's implication. Either way you now seem to understand that non profit corporations are entirely different than for profit institutions.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ok, so you are now back tracking from you original statement or you don't understand it's implication. Either way you now seem to understand that non profit corporations are entirely different than for profit institutions.
Entirely different? Hardly. They are more alike than not. Both for and non profit hospitals provide medical services to the communities they serve. Both perform charitable work. Both reinvest to attract/retain high quality professionals. Both reinvest in equipment/services.

Do you honestly believe that the average patient even knows whether or not their local hospital is for or non-profit??? On the surface, they appear to operate identically. It's the way they are treated in regards to taxation that differentiates the two.

Stick a fork in me.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The survey by Kaplan found that while only 49% of pre-meds reported being primarily motivated by money...

Why Study Medicine? Pre-meds not in it for the money, survey says

70% of U.S doctors care more about money than they do about patients.

70% of U.S doctors care more about money than they do about patients.

Did you even read your links? That is nothing but a marxist opinion trying to deride physicians for not supporting Obamacare. What a joke!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post
So much of the news and politics in the last year has been focused on the "rising costs of health care".......but, it doesn't seem like any of the debate focuses on WHY healthcare has become so expensive.....

first, think about the doctor before he actually becomes a doctor..his motives for wanting to become a doctor are important because if all a person really is after is a big paycheck the quality of the care after the person becomes a doctor may not be what the world needs at all....then think about how much money the person invests in becoming a doctor (higher education costs, basic cost of living, and then the emergency happenings you did not plan on happening - ie car wrecks).

Now that being said, think about what you personally are passionate about, does it co-inside with your job?

shouldn't it?

And when you think about your health do you want your doctor to be a person who is motivated mostly by money? Its kinda like when you take your car to a repair shop and they tell you the car needs this and this and this plus it wouldn't be safe to let you leave the repair shop with your such and such in the extremely poor condition it is in, so the bill is astronomical, and you barely understand what the mechanic said....he knows things you don't, and the mechanic will always get your money because of this ....

is it MORAL to be a doctor and take advantage (making people have to pay to be healthy) of the ignorance of others?

Maybe a social change should devalue money and start putting more value on being passionate at what you do for a living, and taking care of your brother as you do for yourself.........because in the end, what really matters is not MONEY....
Maybe you should understand how health care works and where the money is actually going before you post giant rants accusing people of 'not caring.'

If I divide my salary by the number of patients I have seen, it amounts to ~30 bucks a patient. THIRTY BUCKS. Get real.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't forget hugs.

Hugs, not drugs!

That will decrease healthcare costs!
Besides, everyone knows that laughter is the best medicine!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Healthcare costs in the US are 2-3 times higher than any other developed country and yet we have the worst healthcare outcomes. For-profit healthcare has been a disastrous failure. There's a reason why it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. It's an idiotic system.

Boy your wrong about the worst health care. I almost lost my daughter to Universal Health Care in Germany. What saved her life was being able to get in touch with the American Army Hospital which came a running (thank the good Lord) with American drugs. I've lived this cheap universal health care and you will not want it. Yes it was cheap Open Heart Surgery or a broken leg the cost was the same.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:33 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Boy your wrong about the worst health care. I almost lost my daughter to Universal Health Care in Germany. What saved her life was being able to get in touch with the American Army Hospital which came a running (thank the good Lord) with American drugs. I've lived this cheap universal health care and you will not want it. Yes it was cheap Open Heart Surgery or a broken leg the cost was the same.
Don't confuse the leftie, America haters on here.

Let them keep believing that Cuba and other places have better medicine than we do.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatima.spokane View Post

And when you think about your health do you want your doctor to be a person who is motivated mostly by money?

Absolutely! I want all of my health care providers to be motivated to do a good job so they will make money. I want all of them to be rich.

I would never go to a doctor who has no skin in the game.

Health care providers are no different than lawn care providers. People need to make money to survive and provide for their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies