Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
He has dominated the political debate on both sides. Defining the issues. He is cited by both Democrats and Republicans as the best of example of what is wrong, or what is right with a conservative approach to government. Although they will never admit it, many Democratic governors are different from Walker only in a matter of degrees.

Nearly every governor, regardless of party, began the year saying the current path of expensive pension and benefit packages for public employees is unsustainable. The way the issue exploded in Wisconsin is as much a function of the legal and legislative tools at Walker’s disposal as it is about the specific route he chose to take.
This is why Governors Journal has selected Scott Walker as the 2011 Governor of the Year.
Way to go, Governor Walker!

This paragraph regarding the recall effort made me smile:
Quote:
But consider this. Even if Walker is removed from office, he still wins the debate. Any setback will be temporary. Pension reforms are a reality. California is next. Walker, heralded as a “hero” of the conservative cause, will be in Washington in two months to address the American Conservative Union. If he comes out on top, in a special election, he is a right wing political star. If he loses, he is a political martyr, but still a star. What Walker represents – the idea behind his policies – cannot be killed even if he is temporarily removed from office.
It is so refreshing and rare to see a politician make the tough decisions that need to be made regardless of the political price he or she may pay. No matter what happens with the recall, Walker has done a great service for ALL the taxpayers of Wisconsin and even the country.

Link: Governor Of The Year – Scott Walker

PS - Before the unionistas claim that the Governor's Journal is some right wing rag, please note that the runner-up is Andrew Cuomo (D-NY).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post

It is so refreshing and rare to see a politician make the tough decisions that need to be made regardless of the political price he or she may pay. No matter what happens with the recall, Walker has done a great service for ALL the taxpayers of Wisconsin and even the country.

PS - Before the unionistas claim that the Governor's Journal is some right wing rag, please note that the runner-up is Andrew Cuomo (D-NY).
Well, others are free to think whatever they like. All I can say is that, as a lifelong resident of Wisconsin, I despise Walker and everything for which he stands. Thankfully, most other Wisconsin residents feel the same way so hopefully we can soon begin to try to undo all the harm he has done.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, others are free to think whatever they like. All I can say is that, as a lifelong resident of Wisconsin, I despise Walker and everything for which he stands. Thankfully, most other Wisconsin residents feel the same way so hopefully we can soon begin to try to undo all the harm he has done.
All I can do is shake my head. The other route to take is the route Quinn took in Illinois - give the unions whatever they want and raise taxes endlessly to prop up unions. Guess what's happening in Illinois? Businesses and residents are fleeing in droves.

Maybe you should move to Illinois so you can be a part of a state that believes dishwashers, cooks, and gas station attendants should be paying the luxury pension plans of teachers and government workers. And all of these luxury pensions are approved by the same folks who get all of their votes from the unions themselves, who fund their campaigns through mandatory, coerced union dues. Unions and mandatory dues are legalized corruption and exortion from taxpayers who aren't in unions.

Walker evened the playing field for those blue collar and white collar folks who don't have gigantic unions lobbying for exorbitant pension and benefit packages in exchange for votes.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
I think Walker has shown more political courage than any Governor in the country. The political pressure that man has been under has been incredibly intense, yet he has made a real difference and stood firm. I hope Wisconsin keeps him. If not, we could him out here in the state of Washington.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I think Walker has shown more political courage than any Governor in the country. The political pressure that man has been under has been incredibly intense, yet he has made a real difference and stood firm. I hope Wisconsin keeps him. If not, we could him out here in the state of Washington.
We could use him out here in Maryland as well.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post

"Non partisan", huh? Did you read your own link?

Whoever wrote the article certainly didn't leave any doubt about where he came down in Walker's dispute with the State workers. Took every GOP argument like it was indisputable evidence, instead of a partisan opinion.

I dunno, man. About-to-be recalled, highly divisive "my way or the highway" governor gets Governor of the Year from these guys? No authors named... reads like it came from Scooty's mom... sketchy...

I call BS! Koch Bros agitprop, fer sure!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Except for Christie.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Except for Christie.
Yeah I was thinking Christie as well. However Scott would have been second for me.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM

700 posts, read 638,392 times
"His (Dean Pagani) major client in 2010 was the gubernatorial campaign of Tom Foley."

"From 1996 to 2004, Dean served as Director of Communications and later as Chief of Staff to Governor John Rowland (R) of Connecticut."

This guy sells his services as a public affairs consultant. How can I trust this "award" isn't part of the services he provides to Walker? Think about it. This person who has clientele in politics which hire him to polish their image also owns this journal which doles out "governor of the year" awards.

Last edited by 5trillion; 12-27-2011 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: One too many paragraphs

Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Well, this should send the crazed anti Walker unions/Left into a frothing rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies