Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times

Advertisements

Such stylized foods as found in the finer diners of NYC were designed to cover aging or spoil issues with those foods. As with French society in the days of the Louis', cooks got carried away with their pouffed up concoctions... a la Ramsey TV.

Fame ensued, sycophantry followed. That's why it's called upper crust.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
North vs South
South vs North.
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
South vs North.
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.
North vs South
South vs North.

Really guys? This is 2011.
Damn Yankee.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, so much pride in NYC bordering on extreme snobbishness. Different regions of this country, and other countries each have their own distinctive food. Which is better will always depend on the taste of the diner. Pizza in Italy is not better or worse than any city here, just different. I enjoyed their eggplant pizza. I've had very good meals in Israel, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, and Greece.
When it comes to good food maps are irrelevant; what matters most is how much love goes in to making it. That said, I still say that what they serve in Chicago ain't pizza. It's casserole. It's still a fine, fun food experience and Chicago has every right to be proud of it, though.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Fresh, local, grouper, Mahi, wahoo, shrimp, oysters....steamed, grilled, sauted or lightly fried....along with fresh locally grown vegetables....not to mention venison and duck. Special southern recipes passed down from generation to generation. Yankees can keep their food as we southerners know how to cook!
Please send a memo to the deer and ducks up north that they've strayed

Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If one wants frozen dreck prepared in a central kitchen and warmed up at the individual restaurant.
That being said, I have laughed my face off at some of the sheer ignorance about food, and food traditions displayed in this thread.
Applebees, Ryans buffet , Captain D's, red Lobster,horrible chinese buffet,Thai chains (tons of rice and no seafood that is fresh), and horiffic chains like Garfields and "Fatz" cafe. This is what you get in mid south. Its horrible dreck, indeed.

And anyone from up north would die if they tried what is considered Italian food here.

You learn to become a gourmet cook, bcs the mid south has such poor taste in restaurants.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The truth shall set you free. Some things are just not disputed, like Philly making the best cheese steak sammidges.
Well...but no-one seems to know who or where pastrami served in the delis is made...for all you or I know it comes from US Foods or Sysco...now THAT would be funny.

Quote:
NYC water comes mostly from upstate New York.
So anywhere that has access to upstate NY water would be able to make the same quality dough...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Such stylized foods as found in the finer diners of NYC were designed to cover aging or spoil issues with those foods. As with French society in the days of the Louis', cooks got carried away with their pouffed up concoctions... a la Ramsey TV.

Fame ensued, sycophantry followed. That's why it's called upper crust.

Ah, this is silly and your common folk elitism is just as insufferable. The fact is all food styles are being refined by inventive chefs all for the better.

By the way however you feel about Ramsey personally, he isn't a devotee of classical french cooking, very few of the top chefs these days are. I've watched the guy make everything from a hamburger, to macaroni and cheese.

As for spoiled food issues, the same can be said for southern cooking especially us folks from New Orleans who historically used a lot of spices for the same reason.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm pretty sure there are many deli's that smoke their own pastrami. Carnegie comes to mind.
Some state they steam it on premises,most admit to not making it.Carnegie states in their factory...in NEW JERSEY,they smoke their meat...

Which is of course logical when you think about it....
Katz Deli serves about 10,000 pounds of Pastrami a week,unless there is enormous processing space in the back,ther eis no way they can make their own.

It reminds me of the 'Chef's garden' you see at some places...umm hello!!!
Think about it,the place seat 100,how is a 30x30 garden providing ANY of the produce...LOL.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
I do like chittlens and possum pie but friggins grits are OUT!!!! I bet most of you wouldn't or couldn't eat lutefisk if you got paid too!!! (me niether)

Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well...but no-one seems to know who or where pastrami served in the delis is made...for all you or I know it comes from US Foods or Sysco...now THAT would be funny.
No, that would be horrifying!

Quote:
So anywhere that has access to upstate NY water would be able to make the same quality dough...
That seems a reasonable point. But I think there's another reason why some foods are better here. We have a richer immigrant base; one in four Americans can trace their ancestry through Brooklyn, for example. I think that means we enjoy more of the benefits of old world knowledge. Also, because things are more expensive here, people are more demanding. New Yorkers are known in the restaurant business to insist on authenticity moreso than in other regions of the States. And I can tell you that so-called pizza down south oftentimes tastes more like V-8 Juice on Wonder Bread than anything else. You can get excellent Italian food down South, though, but generally ya gotta shell out beaucoup bucks to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies