Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 01:45 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, our acceptance of the welfare state has done damage to the American work ethic.

Of course, when your PPP is already at or near the top, upward mobility of the general populace becomes more difficult since their parents, on average, started at a higher level than the parents of the current European worker.
You don't understand how upward mobility works, I see.

As for the PPP being higher...that is not a given. While the average american worker have a higher yearly wage, he also works more hours for it. Hourly wages are much closer. And the average american worker has to pay a lot of neccessities out of his wages that the average european don't. Health care, education for the kids, etc. Which means that the average American has to work those long hours. His European counterpart has more freedom. He can often chose to work longer or shorter hours, for more money or more free time as he wishes.

When all is totaled upo, the average american probably makes a bit more money than the average european, but has far less freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Yes we give some to the little guy. However in the wrong way. Give a man fish and you feed him for the day, teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Education is the solution for this problem.
So you agree, America's K-12 public school system is a horrendous failure.

Perhaps you can talk the liberals into school choice/vouchers. Sadly, they want to keep K-12 children trapped in their zoned public schools no matter how bad they are.

And don't even think about crying about funding. Just two of many examples... Chicago Public Schools spend over $13,000 per student per year and Washington D.C. public schools spend over $16,000 per student per year. Both public school systems are horrendous despite spending BIG taxpayer bucks per child.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
Quote:
Yes the EU has problems they are just not as severe as in America. And in conclusion, I don't think it's any of your business for what I have time for.
Yeah.....okay. Keep telling yourself that.

It's a public forum, whatever you post is everyone's business and we can all draw whatever conclusions we may wish from them.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Well, let us see: This is the claim that was made:

A quick google for social mobility studies give us the following:

http://www.economicmobility.org/asse...m%20Report.pdf

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/2/7/45002641.pdf (broken link)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/h...air_access.pdf (Reviewed here: BBC NEWS | Americas | Looking for the land of opportunity )

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/may2005/intergenerationalmobility.pdf%3ehttp:/www.suttontrust.com/reports/IntergenerationalMobility.pdf (broken link)

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/17/42/44566315.pdf (broken link)

On the first page. All of which find social mobility in America and the UK to be lower than in comparable western countries. All of which do, at least at a glance seem to be from reputable sources, and to be referred to in several other studies.

My specific critique is therefore that the claim made is obviously grossy incorrect, and easily shown to be so.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to claim that social mobility in the UK and USA do not lag behind several other western nations is trying to have an entirely separate set of facts from what everyone else has.

lol, I think you need to do a more exhaustive search.

Holey moley, did you even read these? One is a UK white paper put togeather by Parliment hardly a scholarly work.

A few others were a rehash of a study OP link referenced.

And this is how the author of one of the studies was described.

"According to this study done by liberal economist Miles Corak"

Economic mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These links have little heft and don't compete in number to those I referenced.

Also, see Wiki. No consensus on this matter exists, no matter how desperately you wish it to be so.

As a refresher, from the above link.

"Using the ratio of an individual’s current income to that of their parent’s, there is no academic consensus whether the United States has less or more relative mobility than other industrialized nations[1][5][6]. "

Sorry Charlie!

Cheers!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So you agree, America's K-12 public school system is a horrendous failure.

Perhaps you can talk the liberals into school choice/vouchers. Sadly, they want to keep K-12 children trapped in their zoned public schools no matter how bad they are.

And don't even think about crying about funding. Just two of many examples... Chicago Public Schools spend over $13,000 per student per year and Washington D.C. public schools spend over $16,000 per student per year. Both public school systems are horrendous despite spending BIG taxpayer bucks per child.
Of course America's K-12 public school system is a horrendous failure. Its inferior to any European School System. Like I said every European High School student, turns his american counterpart academically to dust. Yes we literally throw away money.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Yes the EU has problems they are just not as severe as in America. .
That's funny. Do ya ever look at the finance section of the newspaper? Do you ever just click on world news when surfing the net?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,331 times
Quote:
Yes I live here since I'm 19. I am an american citizen. However born in Europe.
But you seem to have a lot of time on your hands as well. Are you some kind of a stalker?
Right, right, sure....whatever you say. Just keep digging that hole

And no, I'm not a stalker. I can just comprehend and remember what I read from two days ago. It's really not that difficult for most people with a brain. Seems you're getting a bit snippy now that your lies have been exposed

Anyways, I don't have time for trolls like you. Have a great day

Old 01-01-2012, 01:54 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
The question is, is it easy enough? When a greater share of the population climb it in other western countries, America has lost something America was always tops at.

This canard has been completely debunked.

"Using the ratio of an individual’s current income to that of their parent’s, there is no academic consensus whether the United States has less or more relative mobility than other industrialized nations[1][5][6]. "

Economic mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Of course America's K-12 public school system is a horrendous failure. Its inferior to any European School System. Like I said every European High School student, turns his american counterpart academically to dust. Yes we literally throw away money.
When kids are trapped in their zoned schools and given no alternative options, which is what liberals insist on , there's absolutely no incentive whatsoever for schools to improve. They're NOT going to lose their students. They have a 100% guaranteed clientele regardless of how poorly they educate students. The kids are trapped.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That's funny. Do ever look at the finance section of the newspaper? Do you ever just click on world news when surfing the net?
Debt ceiling ever ring a bell?
The state of California is about 2 times as severely in debt than Greece. But keep on trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies