Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM

646 posts, read 801,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're right...it aint my business. I couldn't possibly care less about the state of Mississippi.

And if you feel blacks voted for Obama because of his race alone, then good. I hope it keeps you up at night. Most of us are gonna vote for him again this coming November. Deal with it.
Go ahead,I'm sure your dog and cat will too,but he's history,it don't matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
California, Oregon, and Washington were Republican when the South was Democratic.

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Libertarian View Post
The South was once entirely Democratic until the Civil Rights Act was passed. With rising levels of income and education, the South has become increasingly Republican and weary of high taxes and excessive business regulations.

And, with all due respect, I am not the one with all the grammatical errors in every one of my posts. So I doubt most people would consider me to be the "stupid" one.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM

646 posts, read 801,533 times
Quote:
The South was once entirely Democratic until the Civil Rights Act was passed. With rising levels of income and education, the South has become increasingly Republican and weary of high taxes and excessive business regulations.

And, with all due respect, I am not the one with all the grammatical errors in every one of my posts. So I doubt most people would consider me to be the "stupid" one.
You can play grammer cop if you would like.How the south voted 50 yrs ago does'nt mean a thing

Old 01-01-2012, 09:34 PM

28 posts, read 42,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
California, Oregon, and Washington were Republican when the South was Democratic.

Why?
Joe, the Republicans have generally always been a pro-business party and the Democrats have always claimed to be a party for working-class people. Whether it is the North or South, upper-middle-class voters tend to register as Republicans. Blue collar voters tend to register as Democrats.

People, however, don't always vote for the candidate in their party. I am simply talking about party affiliations. Yes, there are many social issues that influence voters' decisions (e.g. West VA is a blue state but voted for Bush) but, in general, party affiliations are usually broken up by socioeconomic issues. Remember there are many liberal Republicans who support gay marriage and abortion and many conservative Democrats who oppose (and vote against) these things.

Now, again, this topic has nothing to do with my post. So can we please get back to the original subject matter at hand?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Enjoy your boring post.

Quote:
Now, again, this topic has nothing to do with my post. So can we please get back to the original subject matter at hand?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Black folk vote for the party that panders to them which is the democratic party.Even voting against values they for the most part are against such as gay marriage,taking God and prayer out of all aspects of school and life.And interracial marriage is frowned upon just as much,I would say by blacks just as much as any Mississippi resident
And as usual you are totally without a clue!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Enjoy your boring post.
Very mature Joe.

I didn't intend to offend anyone. I was just asking a simple question.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
My wife and i traveled through Mississippi more than a few times to visit my relatives in the Delta. You get the looks from both sides, although the black folks do it more out of curiousity than anything else. White folks are just shocked.

That said, it's a backwards state...and socially, it's hardly better than it was when my dad was living there as a small boy. I fully understand why he hates the place, and calls it the "Murder State." Still, most people are friendly even if they disapprove, and they'll treat you fair. You can't ask for more than that.

If you hate interracial marriage, or disapprove of it, i don't care. Just don't tell me about it and keep it to yourself in my presence (unless i ask you about it...which i won't). I don't want to know your opinions on my or anyone else's relationship. Go tell someone that cares.
If you don't mind me asking (I'm just curious), what is your wife's ethnic background? And what is yours?

I know you mentioned that you get stares and surprised looks while driving through Mississippi because you are in an interracial marriage. But are both you and your wife non-white? If you neither of you are white, then that will answer the question in my original post.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:44 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Ok...

But white folks DON'T vote for the party that panders to them? Show proof. They don't vote against their own values? Show proof.

Republicans have never delivered on a DAMN THING they've promised. Nothing. And yet, their constituency stubbornly clings to them despite the fact that they never will deliver the goods.

Moreover, not all blacks are against Gay Marriage. Not all of us are pro-school prayer and taking "God" out of schools (as if that were even possible...it isn't!).

And it's not true that interracial marriage is just as frowned upon in the black community as it is in the white community in Mississippi. Like, it's not even close. While some blacks might frown on it to a certain degree, i've yet to EVER hear a black family threaten to disown a family member for marrying out of their race, let alone follow through on something like that.

Not saying that such actions are common among whites, but it's certainly not unheard of. Not by a long shot.
Of course many Whites in the GOP love that their candidates pander to them. Why do you think Huntsman is at the bottom of the polls? Because he's the one person who doesn't pander to his base. They hate that about him.

MS is the one state that hasn't had a huge influx of people from other parts of the country moving in, to contribute to the "culture". Not surprising since MS is the poorest state in the union, with no opportunities or incentives for people to move there. So a lot of the "old school" thinking has been past down, and it thrives, with little to balance their backwards thinking.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking (I'm just curious), what is your wife's ethnic background? And what is yours?

I know you mentioned that you get stares and surprised looks while driving through Mississippi because you are in an interracial marriage. But are both you and your wife non-white? If you neither of you are white, then that will answer the question in my original post.
I'm black, she's white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies