Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Ummm...oooookaaaay.

You gettin' enough air in there?
Not much of a chess player I'd guess...

Welfare is pacification that politically divides the classes below the entitled nobility.

Its simply a refined form far better than the old one. The wealthy don't even have to give a dime like ole John D. They make the middle class pay for it. That's why they are "bleeding heart" liberals. They want the government to give away apples that are purchased from their orchards.

In short the middle class chooses the best apples. However competition is a sin so its better to create a welfare program of apple give-aways much more suitable to the politically connected cartel. This of course also tanks the apple market and creates more welfare and more bad apples.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 01-06-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Umm ok. I guess you told me eh??
No its that you continue to embarrass yourself with complete ignorance. You don't know what I am talking about and "what" about covers it. You started it all off with your horrible nominal economic proof of junk economics.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
If the loony liberals had their way they'd kick all the eeeeeevil top 1% out of this country, which would leave the US in dire straights since all those bad richies would take all of their money and investments with them.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
I don't think anybody knew what you were talking about with that post of yours. That's why I said "what". Maybe you can explain yourself a little better to those who aren't as smart as you think you are??

Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
If a salary of 34K puts in you the top 1% worldwide, what does a salary of 1 million put you at, 0.0000000000000%?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I don't think anybody knew what you were talking about with that post of yours. That's why I said "what". Maybe you can explain yourself a little better to those who aren't as smart as you think you are??

The dollar benefits from currency arbitrage. The further you get from the US the higher it will rise because a US dollar will buy something a local currency will not. Its like having a ticket at Disneyland that allows you to go on all rides verse a ticket that allows you to go on all rides except the best one. Thus bidding wars will be set off for this one scarcity which has to do with a scarce luxury, not the actual prosperity level that sets the dollar price. Thus the winning price for the dollar will go to the wealthiest people in the local currency zone. They will go one the exclusive ride. However everyone else can still go on all the other rides. Thats why people live on "a dollar a day". You can't live on a dollar a day in the US because there are too many suppliers of dollars. Thus 30k in some part of the world is a huge amount of money if they don't buy into the exclusive commodity. Its like changing the one exclusive ticket for 100 of the one that gets you the other rides.

Currency arbitrage.

JOST A MON: Currency Arbitrage in the Eastern Bloc, and the Black Market

In Moscow, at least, there used to be frequent shortages of common goods, such as fresh vegetables, shoes, fruit. More frivolous items like chewing gum (http://orbita.starmedia.com/%7Egumwrappers/m3page4.htm - broken link) were unavailable. As for perfumes, high quality skis, fine alcohol (other than vodka and kvass), electronics and other luxury items, these were pretty much impossible to find in shops open to the general public. To stock these high-end items, the Soviets introduced shops called Beriozkas, where most diplomats and Russians with connections could make their purchases.

But these were imported goods, so what did they pay with? They used a hard-currency, or coupon rouble, whose notional worth was approximately the same as the standard rouble (unavailable to the masses), but whose real worth was much, much more.

All it takes is one good the wealthy want, and it can sky rocket demand for a "hard currency".

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM

So after you link lesson in "arbitrage" explain the point you are trying to make. The poor or middle class or upper middle class whaveter you want to call em in the US have it much better than anywhere else is the point I was making earlier. The rich get the perks. Boo hoo. Then go get rich if that will make your self esteem feel better and you can flaunt your chewing gum at your neighbors. That is what's great about America. The vehicle is in place to take you where you want to go if you so desire.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So after you link lesson in "arbitrage" explain the point you are trying to make. The poor or middle class or upper middle class whaveter you want to call em in the US have it much better than anywhere else is the point I was making earlier. The rich get the perks. Boo hoo. Then go get rich if that will make your self esteem feel better and you can flaunt your chewing gum at your neighbors. That is what's great about America. The vehicle is in place to take you where you want to go if you so desire.

My point is 30k is a meaningless nominal number, and you completely missed the point. There are very wealthy people in this world that does not necessarily measure in dollars. A 100k income in NYC isn't wealth.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 01-06-2012 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 AM

If anyone must know I am an X-conservative Republican well to the right of Reagan growing up with the laughter curve to boot. However it was with the limited information of a child using common sense which doesn't cut it. There comes a point when you have more disgust for heretics than you do pagans. Thus even as much as liberal, bleeding heart, welfarians who tossed away their canning equipment for easy food stamps makes me sick, I have a harder time swallowing back down the lump of half digested mac and cheese when beholding "conservatives" who think they know. To watch them slit their own throats disgusts me.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
My point is 30k is a meaningless nominal number, and you completely missed the point. There are very wealthy people in this world that does not necessarily measure in dollars. A 100k income in NYC isn't wealth.
Why didn't you just say that then? 100K in NYC aint the poor house either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies