Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
You know the EXPERIENCERS OF BEING GAY?

it's like historians traveling back in time to meet George WAshington and wondering about his life but just not asking him.

It makes NO SENSE.
It makes plenty of sense when you consider that first off it would be the logical thing to do and logic is not part of their skill set and two, it might rub off on them and next thing ya know they have been turned gay

Old 01-06-2012, 12:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,006,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Then again, "gay" is not a race.
Nor is being male, female, short, tall, etc. Instead, what we use as a touchstone of discrimination are unalterable traits about a person. Whether you can comprehend it or not, sexual orientation increasingly falls under the heading of unalterable trait.

The ONLY exception to this rule is religion - for religion is chosen. We still protect people from discrimination based upon it. Quite telling about religion, if you ask me.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,705 times
Quote:
so racial minorities are the only types of minorities that matter? other minority traits are OK to be bigotted against?

why do you worship one minority trait but others don't matter?
No one said anything about it mattering or not, don't get your panties all in a bunch and jump to conclusions. I am not the one who made the analogy between gay and black, someone else did.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Nor is being male, female, short, tall, etc. Instead, what we use as a touchstone of discrimination are unalterable traits about a person. Whether you can comprehend it or not, sexual orientation increasingly falls under the heading of unalterable trait.

The ONLY exception to this rule is religion - for religion is chosen. We still protect people from discrimination based upon it. Quite telling about religion, if you ask me.
I disaree with it being an unalterable trait. And the fact that people are posting about bisexuality on this same thread shows that too.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
But will you admit it could be a choice for some people? In this case, it is and he has admitted it was his choice to act on this urge and behave this way. So there is more walking proof that it can be a choice then.
Well, you said it yourself: it was his choice to act on this urge and behave this way.

In other words, you can chose to act on your impulses, or you can chose to suppress them - neither has to do with BEING homosexual/bisexual.

You see, any heterosexual person can chose to act in a homosexual manner - there are plenty of actors who do so every year. Acting homosexual does not make a person homosexual. Being homosexual does!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,649 times
I posted in sarcasm earlier, I should have realized somebody would get emotional.
Seriously, what one guy desires to shove up his nether region is no business of mine.
Both sides should stop with the justifications and let it go at that.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,108 times
Quote:
But will you admit it could be a choice for some people? In this case, it is and he has admitted it was his choice to act on this urge and behave this way. So there is more walking proof that it can be a choice then.
actually i'm still a virgin and i'm 34. so in what way have i 'acted' on it.

And why aren't straight people equally scrutinized for ACTING on THEIR sexual orientation?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I disaree with it being an unalterable trait. And the fact that people are posting about bisexuality on this same thread shows that too.
I understand that. You think it is an alterable characteristic because, for you, it is.

For the vast majority of people, it is not. I cannot chose to be homosexual - it is impossible for me. I was born straight and have never had any sexual interest in men.

Also, bringing up bisexuality simply acknowledges the fact that some people have an attraction to both, men and women. These people can freely chose who they are attracted to - at least in theory. A truly homosexual or heterosexual person does not have this choice.

I can spend countless hours tonight sitting in my bed trying to fantasize about Brad Pitt - it will not cause any sexual arousal, no matter how many shirtless pictures I look at. If it causes arousal in you, then there is a reason for it.

Now, give me images of super hot women, and I can tell you that I won't have much of a choice in feeling sexual attraction.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,108 times
Quote:
really? some people commit suicide over the trait of homosexuality. if it was alterable i'd assume they'd try that first BEFORE suicide.

I have a degree in religion, i was a religious, conservative kid.. I cried myself to sleep when i was in middle school worrying that i was going to go to hell... gues what i'm 34 years and nothing has stopped the fact that i'm gay. it's not alterable, at least for me and many others.. so you're wrong

Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
You know the EXPERIENCERS OF BEING GAY?

it's like historians traveling back in time to meet George WAshington and wondering about his life but just not asking him.

It makes NO SENSE.
why do gay people who say its not a choice deny that if its not a choice and its something you are BORN WITH, then its a birth defect

genetics is a science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies