Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Anyone who shows up without ID when it is required.
Who did that specifically? When was this a big problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who did that specifically? When was this a big problem?

Well, this is a start:

Voter suppression - SourceWatch

[quote]

Deceptive practices

Deceptive practices include misinforming voters about whether they can vote, where to vote, when to vote and how to vote. A Common Cause report on the 2008 election pointed out that these practices have expanded from flyers and phone calls to include online practices. [9] From the report,
"Most of these emails said that given the high turnout expected, Republicans were to vote on Tuesday, Democrats on Wednesday. An email went to the entire student body of George Mason University that appeared to be from the provost of the school making this same claim. There were robocalls in Florida and Nevada telling people they could vote by phone and calls in Virginia fraudulently telling people the wrong place to vote. In the days prior to the election there were emails in places like Texas and Florida with misleading information about straight ticket voting and voter identification rules."
The Election Protection Wiki tracked a widespread effort in which text messages were sent to Democrats in several states, advising them they should avoid the lines and vote Wednesday. This happened in Missouri, Florida, Minnesota, Montana, Idaho, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Virginia and other states. Similarly voters in Missouri and other states reported receiving robo-calls with a similar message. Also, in Florida Democratic voters were called and told they could avoid lines by voting by phone, given a number to call, and after "voting" were told they didn't have to go to the polls.[end quote]

Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, well....i don't know what all this "we" stuff is.

What are you in charge of? "They" you mean. "You" aren't in that club.
Quote:
You just share the same race.
Until it is convenient for you to blame or criticize, then we all get mixed in as a bunch of crackers.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Well, this is a start:

Voter suppression - SourceWatch

Deceptive practices

Deceptive practices include misinforming voters about whether they can vote, where to vote, when to vote and how to vote. A Common Cause report on the 2008 election pointed out that these practices have expanded from flyers and phone calls to include online practices. [9] From the report,
"Most of these emails said that given the high turnout expected, Republicans were to vote on Tuesday, Democrats on Wednesday. An email went to the entire student body of George Mason University that appeared to be from the provost of the school making this same claim. There were robocalls in Florida and Nevada telling people they could vote by phone and calls in Virginia fraudulently telling people the wrong place to vote. In the days prior to the election there were emails in places like Texas and Florida with misleading information about straight ticket voting and voter identification rules."
The Election Protection Wiki tracked a widespread effort in which text messages were sent to Democrats in several states, advising them they should avoid the lines and vote Wednesday. This happened in Missouri, Florida, Minnesota, Montana, Idaho, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Virginia and other states. Similarly voters in Missouri and other states reported receiving robo-calls with a similar message. Also, in Florida Democratic voters were called and told they could avoid lines by voting by phone, given a number to call, and after "voting" were told they didn't have to go to the polls.
I guess that is the voter fraud they speak of ...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I get the feeling from Republicans that they would rather black people not vote, than to vote for Democrats. Am I wrong to believe that? They always want to mention how the Democrats keep us on the plantation, but they never give a reason as to why we should vote republican. That is just my opinion, what do ya'll think?

Awesome analysis bro....

Right on... Also they want to keep paying for your free stuff

Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Awesome analysis bro....

Right on... Also they want to keep paying for your free stuff

All that talk of free stuff is BS. It also condescending and a turn off. I do not get "free stuff" from Republicans. I am a hard working, tax paying DEMOCRAT and I know why I vote the way that I do. Bullying people by telling them they are on a plantation, that they are too stupid to know why they are Democrats, or that they only want freebies isn't going to cut it and certainly isn't going to win votes. Maybe if Repiblicans weren't so negative and could give reasons as to why people should vote Republican, rather than telling people why they shouldn't vote Democrat, they may have something to offer to some people (although it won't be me).

The Democrats that I associate with are far from welfare recipients. Please don't act like there aren't a bunch of Republicans receiving food stamps, on welfare and disability. Those red states in the south wouldn't be red states if that weren't the case.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Until it is convenient for you to blame or criticize, then we all get mixed in as a bunch of crackers.
Just like you don't use the "N" word, i've never in my life called someone a cracker or used the term as a pejorative. Not how i get down.

Secondly, i was putting you in your place. You might share a color with the ruling class, but you're not IN the ruling class. You've invented nothing, and you've done nothing accomplishment-wise of any note. So i'm just making sure that you contain your cockiness a little bit.

When you get to be a big time CEO or come up with some innovation, then get back to me. Til then....

Later.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I get the feeling from Republicans that they would rather black people not vote, than to vote for Democrats. Am I wrong to believe that? They always want to mention how the Democrats keep us on the plantation, but they never give a reason as to why we should vote republican. That is just my opinion, what do ya'll think?
The GOP is engaging in activities which are designed to attack the traditional voter base of the Democratic Party, incluidng persons of color. Limiting participation in the democratic process and lowering the number of voters overall is seen, by them, as a plus. That's how I see it.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
From what I have interpreted from black voters, I would rather they didn't vote because it seems the majority of black voters voted for Obama strictly because he is black. Given the choice of voting Democrat or for the black guy, they would pick black. Pick for the best candidate, or the party of your choice but not for color. That just shows stupidity.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Look here's the deal. Black folks want smaller government and less taxes just like the Republican party or should I say equal opportunity. The problem is the good ole boy network is still entrenched in society. they only buffer black folks have is the democratic party.

As an example look at the voting of the Southern States going on today. It's been reported over 50% of voters still think the President is a Muslim as if it would make a difference per the requirements to be President. As much as people want to say in 2012 race isn't an issue it still is. The only reason the Federal government has their hands in so many things is because society as a whole just won't act right.

As for people saying Black folks voted for the President only because he was Black. Black people have been voting for White candidates for years. Now what about the White people who won't vote for President because he is Black? Is that Ok?

Not all people define a race of people. There are some who under no circumstances would vote for a Black man and yes there are some who voted for the President just because he is Black but one thing I believe is there are more sane people than not sane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies