Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Can't pump your own gas in New Jersey either but its about 15 cents a gallon cheaper than most states in the northeast.
NJ has comparatively low state gas tax..... surprisingly. Apparrently the third lowest in the nation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,509 times
Nothing against Americans but if they didn't act like retards so much, maybe the government wouldn't feel the need for these kinds of laws

And YES you do need to be treated like a child... because you DO act like a child. What grown up responsible adult does things to put other lives in danger. A spoiled little brat who thinks they are entitled thats who. Just put down the cell phones... very simple

Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Nothing against Americans but if they didn't act like retards so much, maybe the government wouldn't feel the need for these kinds of laws

And YES you do need to be treated like a child... because you DO act like a child. What grown up responsible adult does things to put other lives in danger. A spoiled little brat who thinks they are entitled thats who. Just put down the cell phones... very simple
Yeah, it's only Americans who use their phones while driving.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Although I agree with not allowing cell phones while driving.. couldn't the drivers just put away their cell phones before proceeding through the checkpoint and not get discovered?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
pulling over people who are witnessed actively breaking the law ≠ checkpoint

Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times
I support cracking down on people who drive while talking on their stupid phones. I've had too many near misses; near head-on collisions, getting run off the freeway into the median, stuck behind some phone-phreak at a stop light, watching someone sail through a red-light and an intersection while looking at their phone, etc, etc.

Something about using those phones while driving that makes the driver very, very dumb.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Stupid people do all kinds of stupid **** while driving. If they want to get serious then ban eating, talking, drinking any beverage, radio's, passengers etc. All are distractions from the task at hand.
America has truly become the land of idiots.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I support cracking down on people who drive while talking on their stupid phones. I've had too many near misses; near head-on collisions, getting run off the freeway into the median, stuck behind some phone-phreak at a stop light, watching someone sail through a red-light and an intersection while looking at their phone, etc, etc.

Something about using those phones while driving that makes the driver very, very dumb.
I think the people who are texting, e-mailing, Facebooking, surfing the web, etc. are FAR more dangerous than the people who are merely talking on their phones.

I think those activities should be illegal and cracked down on, but not making or receiving calls.

OP, this wasn't a checkpoint. This was akin to a cop being parked on the side of the road looking for speeders.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
When we drive up to Oregon we can't pump our own gas. I see a state-issued union driver in everyone's future.
I remember the days where one could sit comfortably in their car and have the gas pumped for them AND have the windshield cleaned AND have the oil checked AND have the tire pressure checked AND pay for it AND get a smile for for doing business with them.

Today you MUST get out of your car and either swipe or go inside where some person who barely speaks English stares at you with a "leave me alone" glare to perform the transaction.

Yeah, progress...

After reading the article it does not appear to be a true checkpoint where vehicles are stopped.

One officer spots the perp talking, phone in hand and another officer pulls them over.

I see the same tactics used by Austin Tx police with speeders. One officer on top of a bridge spanning the highway dispatching other officers to pull the speeders over.

Instead of whining about new checkpoints people should use what little intelligence they have left and buy a Bluetooth interface for their vehicles...

Problem solved...

Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I remember the days where one could sit comfortably in their car and have the gas pumped for them AND have the windshield cleaned AND have the oil checked AND have the tire pressure checked AND pay for it AND get a smile for for doing business with them.
There are still some gas stations that offer full service. You have to pay more for it though (as you should).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies