Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,757,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Reflect on the lives lost in a needless and ultimately futile conflict, sure. Memorial Day is a good day for that.

Honor the Confederacy leaders? Never.
Yep, I do believe the civil war as not needed. Just taking the issue of slavery for instance, it probably would have been abolished within a short time period of the end of the civil war anyway, so in my mind the war was pointless and even if the south would have seceded, it would have been a short period of time before they joined back up with the union. What a waste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Hardly. Soldiers who fought the civil war mainly fought for their state, not for their confederacy. The concept has been lost so it's hard for people to grasp in 2012. Also, much like today, the younger, poorer people did most of the fighting. The wealthy plantation owners were not the ones getting killed on the battlefield. The leader of the Confederate Army,
Quote:
Robert E. Lee, never owned a slave
. The civil war was not fought completely over the issue of slavery, it was just one of the many issues that caused the South to leave the union.
Thats interesting, I did not know that and I also found this on wiki...

Quote:
''General Robert E. Lee did not own slaves. His wife inherited slaves from her father. He freed those for which he could find jobs. He did not free those too old to work and support themselves''.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is absolutely false, and I suspect you know it.

The economic war was over the states' right to enable rich whites to own black people.

Period.

If you knew your history, and if you were familiar with the secession resolutions adopted by the traitors you would know that.
As I said in another post, slavery was not the main issue and really didn't become an issue until the emacipation.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,299,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Slavery was only one issue among many, the civil war was a fight for independence from the federal government.
Engaging in a war with the USA = treason.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I would hope he took up arms because of Sherman scorching the entire landscape from Atlanta all the way thru your state until he reached the sea.I would bet that got his attention a little more than the "business end of his mule".
Quote:
Every Southerner had a dog in that fight
Absolutely, what would you do if you were attacked and weren't even sure why? I really don't blame them for fighting back.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,299,240 times
Quote:
Absolutely, what would you do if you were attacked and weren't even sure why? I really don't blame them for fighting back.
If the confederate traitors didn't know why they were in a war, then they are even more clueless than I previously thought.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
How wrong you are.It was way more complex than that.Slavery gave the north the moral justification it needed to invade the beautiful Southland.Lincoln did'nt give a care about black folk.The war was more over sectionalism,different customs,different political ideology,(just like exist today),different values and social structures.
Quote:
Again,only 3% of confederate soldiers owned slaves
.Our land was invaded and the countrymen took up arms to defend their land and ways of life.Slavery was an issue for the rich,not the men actually doing the fighting
The bolded part is true and most were officers who had money, the common farmer could not afford to own a slave. This in it's self, goes to debunk the common myth that the civil war was mostly fought because of slavery, it was a war of independence and there were actually black confederate soldiers. Blacks here need to read real history rather than the revisionist version.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
UUhhmmm...NO!!!!

Those ignorant farmers may have started out believing the propaganda of the wealthy white land owners, who convinced them to fight in order to maintain freedom from Northern aggression.

However any fool who read the charters of succession from Southern States knew exactly why the Land Owners wanted a war. They wanted to maintain their ability to use human beings as cattle.

They were willing to dissolve this country in order to maintain their wealth and status.

Thank God they lost and I would gladly **** on their headstones if I could.

No governmental entity came down south threatening to take any farms.
No governmental entity came down south threatening to take away any rights, except those to enslave people.
No governmental entity came down south and threatened to make white people into what they forced Black People to live under.

The South fought to maintain an Land where racial degradations, humiliation, and cruelty were the norm.

Were they Heroes???...of course they were, to White Supremacist, Racist, Low Bred Whites, and to Traitors of the U.S.A.
You know whats really funny, not to justify it, but most slaves were treated pretty well for the most part and I think it is a misnomer to say slaves were treated badly 24/7 after all woudn't you want them healthy so he/she would be productive.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
The American Civil War was a real "clash of cultures" pitting the aristocratic agricultural culture of the South with its closed society that did not welcome mere merchants or industrialists to their society with a culture that was composed of these mere merchants. As the merchants were in manufacturing and not in agriculture (note they made more money off cotton cloth than the south made off growing the cotton) the merchant’s easily became weapons builders than the agriculturists. Eventually the sheer mass of guns, cannons, canned food and railroads crushed the south.

Confederate heroes, my ass. The real confederate heroes were the people that continued to smuggle freed slaves to the north where they worked to build weapons to destroy the slavers and their closed society. Unfortunately the south is still hampered by the cultural remnants of the old aristocracy despite the transfer of the textile industry and the space program from the North. One example of this is the preponderance of southerners in our military forces.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,667,164 times
Quote:
As I said in another post, slavery was not the main issue and really didn't become an issue until the emacipation.
Sure you did, and every time you say it you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies