Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Most people who actualy work for a living and earn their money have to submit to drug testing.....why shouldn't welfare recipients be required to do the same?
You've heard of ACLU & Human Rights haven't you?? This would be an envasion of their privacy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You've heard of ACLU & Human Rights haven't you?? This would be an envasion of their privacy!!
Just like those who work for a living, if they don't want their privacy invaded, they are free to turn down the money and walk away.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
And who the hell, may I ask, are you or anyone else to tell someone if they can have kids or not?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittic View Post
so the rest of us don't have to pay taxes to fund your kids. Until you have banked 300k, you aint ready to raise your FIRST kid. 200k more for each additional kid. No reason for a woman to have a kid before she's 30, or a man before he's 35. If the 2 of you aint got 300k in 15 years combined, then you CAN'T raise kids properly, in the US, most likely. So forget it. quit putting the load on other people! each kid takes 1`/4 million to raise properly, mother should be there for them until they are 6-7 years old, in PRIVATE school. So you lose her income for those years and need baby sitters, so mom can take sanity breaks. Quit putting the load of your retirement on ss and tax payers, or on your kids. Save-invest properly, or don't have kids.
Agree with the TITLE of your thread, but this post is ridiculous. 300K saved before having a child?? What world do you live in??

Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
And who the hell, may I ask, are you or anyone else to tell someone if they can have kids or not?
Probably better to just let him spout off here than ever let him be on a panel to decide who gets health care or not. imo

Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What does this mean?
Are you saying that you want to penalize people who chose not to breed?
Why are you special because you want to have kids?
You're not, they're your, not my, responsibility.

Cut all subsidies and tax breaks for business and people.

I'll take it a step further: all females who have reached menarche are required to have the norplant if they're receiving pubic assistance of any kind, that would be unemployment or welfare. If you can't take care of yourself, you can't take care of another.
This has been my opinion for years.

I have two adult children that were raised by myself (working mom) and my husband. During their growing up years I often felt tired, but never felt "special." They are both assets to society and contribute to the well being of others every day, so I don't feel even one bit guilty about using anyone's tax dollars to educate them. Sorry...

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't know anybody with a trust fund. I am speaking only from the research I did for my daughter. You don't do those things when your parents teach you about money. You don't do those things if you have a good work ethic. For most, they do not have a trust fund that will give them the rest of their life's money without working. The vast majority of people are not that rich. I don't really believe you when you say you know "tons of people" who have trust funds that can give them income for life.
Believe what you want, but if you get into that circle somehow you will meet people since there are millions of them which is a tiny %, but out of 312 million people it is still a lot of people. With that said you still are avoiding the key question...Other then for self fulfillment, or enjoyment why would you work if you had that kind of income? It is simple you wouldn't because that kind of income is a huge disincentive to working. As to parents it is not controlling. They can do a great job and their kids can turn out aweful, or they can be absentee drug adicts on and have wonderful productive kids.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-20-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
They're nobody. It's easy to talk tough anonymously on the internet.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
LOL I just hope all the right wing crazies on this board are reincarnated.

In Belgium or Norway.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Oh, so you would also be good with drug testing for welfare, too?

I'm learning a lot on this thread.

Just an observation, many jobs these days require a drug test, and failure means no job. Some companies even test for nicotine, [smoking], and will not hire you if you fail. Is that any different than drug testing for welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies