Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually as a young man, a 70 hour work week would have been a short week for me. As with many we did what we needed to do to provide for our families. I do it now because I enjoy what I do and am limited to only 70 hours a week by the federal government. Cry me a river.
Yes, **** the poor. I think you're missing the point.

You're either extraordinary cruel or remarkably short-sighted to believe that everyone can hold themselves to such standards. The American Dream--hard work yields great rewards--has been dead for decades because of the raping and pillaging of the American Workforce. Social Mobility is non-existent--something Rick Santorum, Republican heart-throb, has readily acknowledged.

[8 hours of work, 8 hours of play, 8 hours of rest] ~Robert Owen.

And then what when they can't. Humans fall apart with age. Should we start cutting into retirement funds at age 45 because someone's knee blew-out and now he can't climb ladders anymore? 70 hours being a short week? You're being deliberately inflammatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Yes, **** the poor. I think you're missing the point.

You're either extraordinary cruel or remarkably short-sighted to believe that everyone can hold themselves to such standards. The American Dream--hard work yields great rewards--has been dead for decades because of the raping and pillaging of the American Workforce. Social Mobility is non-existent--something Rick Santorum, Republican heart-throb, has readily acknowledged.

[8 hours of work, 8 hours of play, 8 hours of rest] ~Robert Owen.

And then what when they can't. Humans fall apart with age. Should we start cutting into retirement funds at age 45 because someone's knee blew-out and now he can't climb ladders anymore? 70 hours being a short week? You're being deliberately inflammatory.
Inflammatory hell, That's what I did and that's what a lot of us did. Bottom line at entry level 40 hours a week has NEVER provided a living wage and can't. It doesn't matter what you raise the minimum to, the cost of living will absorb the increase as it always has and at the end of the day, the poor end up with less buying power than they did before the increase.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Inflammatory hell, That's what I did and that's what a lot of us did. Bottom line at entry level 40 hours a week has NEVER provided a living wage and can't. It doesn't matter what you raise the minimum to, the cost of living will absorb the increase as it always has and at the end of the day, the poor end up with less buying power than they did before the increase.
Fifties through eighties, the American People and the rise of the Middle-Class: strong minimum wage laws and social welfare programs helped develop that.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
IN case you missed the other thread.
Hunger in America: 2011 United States Hunger and Poverty Facts

Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
This is not Norway with 1 economy, 5 Million people and a uniform cost-of-loving.

Mircea
What makes you think cost of living is uniform in Norway?

Norways northernmost districts are further away from Oslo than Rome, Italy is. The westernmost end is further west than the Netherlands, and the easternmost further east than Istanbul, Turkey.

Climate, transportation, fishing, and population density vary dramatically. Why would cost of living be uniform?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 AM

674 posts, read 698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I love both and also have a very successful husband. I'm just evil aren't I?
People who didn't prepare may certainly call you evil. Shame when personal responsibility leads you to be maligned..........

Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 AM

674 posts, read 698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I know quite a few 'financially secure' people who are unemployed now.
Well if they're your friends or family members have you considered helping them out? If you're implying that this may happen to me, yes certainly it might. But, as I already stated, I won't be asking for your support in the way of tax dollars if it does.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?
Here is a clue. If they are working but poor, they are STILL poor. Many people who need food stamps already are not eligible due to current requirements. Some people in this country have a hard time understanding that no one in "the greatest country on the planet" should have to go hungry, EVER. Jeez, and I thought Christian charity actually stood for something. I guess I was wrong.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
And this is what blows me away. For some reason, the standard of living should be working multiple minimum wage jobs in order to survive, rather than getting a livable wage for the 40 hours many of us put in at the jobs we do. It's selfish.
My father worked 2 jobs most of his life.

Some will do what it takes.

Others will just take.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Here is a clue. If they are working but poor, they are STILL poor. Many people who need food stamps already are not eligible due to current requirements. Some people in this country have a hard time understanding that no one in "the greatest country on the planet" should have to go hungry, EVER. Jeez, and I thought Christian charity actually stood for something. I guess I was wrong.
So now "Christian charity" = "Federal Government"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies