Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
This is basically the same principal of Obama's policy of tax the rich and middle class to feed the poor. So are you still ok with it or did you change your mind when his name is added to something?
Wow! Your thinly disguised allegory was so clever! I totally had no idea that you were alluding to taxes!
Wait, now let me get this straight...Is Obama the "Teacher" in this scenario?
See, your allegory is flawed though, because the teacher is "asking" for the class to help out this one child. See, that would apply more to an allegory about private charity more than it would taxes (Since taxes are compulsory), but hey, lets run with it anyways. If we're comparing "lunch money" to taxes, we would have to look at the source of the lunch money, right? Like, is it wealth? Is it income? Has the lunch money been stashed in an offshore account, or some other tax loophole? Are we talking net lunch money, or gross? Has the lunch money had the appropriate deductions based on dependents and itemization?

Aw, crap, you know what? I don't think your allegory makes any sense after all. Keep trying though!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Think for a moment that your child is at school. A child comes to class one day and spends his lunch money on a toy. Another child comes and left his money at home. Another child comes and doesn't have any money. Is it ok for the teacher to ask your child to give up his/her lunch money in part to help the other kids eat?
Depends on what my child gets in return.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Think for a moment that your child is at school. A child comes to class one day and spends his lunch money on a toy. Another child comes and left his money at home. Another child comes and doesn't have any money. Is it ok for the teacher to ask your child to give up his/her lunch money in part to help the other kids eat?
It may be, depending on whether the overall system is closed or open. It also may be, if the other kids decide to corner the kid with money and attempt to or take it anyway, violently.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You made several errors.
1. it's not the GOP way of doing things.
That is exactly the way the GOP does things. Just one example recently the GOP fought tooth and nail to raise taxes on the middle class so the rich could keep their taxcuts. "Take from the middle and working class to give to the rich" GOP tactics.

Quote:
2. Johnny and his family are democrats.
No, Johnny's family are staunch conservatives and their horrible ways are rubbing off on him. If he and his family were democrats, the story would be revised to:
Billy and Tommy say, "Hey Johnny, with having more than enough food to eat, while don't you share just a little so we don't have to go hungry and can have the opportunity to learn as well?" Johnny says "Sure guys, my family has been very blessed and successful in life. I have more than enough food then I'll ever need, I'll share so you two can have the opportunity to thrive and perhaps become just as successful as my family some day"

Quote:
People blame the GOP for all things, but lets be real, out of the top 20 richest people, more are democrats and they have almost 2x more money as the republicans.

Richest People in America are Democrats
Likely because they know that democratic policies are the way to becoming successful in life, where GOP ones lead to nothing but complete disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies