Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,507,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If these drugs were legal, and priced high enough to make the purchase a hard choice, but low enough to cut out all the profit from illegally produced drugs, I think we would see a spike in use, but it would level off after all the junkies overdose. For sure, it would put an end to the Mexican gang wars, and would end the massive imprisonment of drug users.
Why would you price them higher? From a political standpoint, having high-priced drugs is as bad as prohibition, just "legal" prohibition. You'd still have the same problem now, people committing crimes to get their next fix. One of the benefits of legalization is lower prices. But we'll get to this in a second.

Quote:
If we took the money we are now paying to keep all those people locked up and used it for treatment programs and drug courts, our costs would steadily diminish instead of steadily going up. And the spike in increased use will end all the sooner.

We will always have drug users, just as we will always have alcoholics. The only difference now is drunks don't need to commit crimes to pay for their habit, but dopers do. Improve the quality and lower the legal price, and the crimes will lessen. Put the degenerate dopers in jail when they endanger others, just like we now do with the chronic drunks, and start giving both treatment, not more warehousing.
I don't think anyone here would disagree that drug use can be a problem. But until we start treating drug use as a medical problem and not a criminal problem, we're always going to have criminals. There is nothing wrong with recreational use of any substance--alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, even PCP for all that it is worth. It's a problem when it literally becomes problematic for a person to function as a responsible adult in society. That's what abuse is. You can drink every day of your life, and as long as it doesn't interfere with you being a socially responsible adult, you aren't abusing alcohol. But when you can't function, then it's a problem.

But this society treats it as a criminal problem instead of a medical one. That's what needs to stop.

Cigarettes are remarkably expensive, but it doesn't stop people from purchasing them. A modest tax that doesn't make drugs absurdly expensive would be more than enough to pay for rehabilitation.

Quote:
I'm all for making drugs legal, but restricted. Junkies should never be able to buy their drugs over the counter freely.
Why not?

Quote:
They need to register and they need to pay a price that is uncomfortable, both for their addiction and their recovery.
Hardly. Part of freedom is dealing with the consequences of your actions. We can seek and encourage rehabilitation, and if abusive users are a danger to themselves or others, we can legally mandate rehabilitation. But this sex-predator-esque registration and diseaseification of users? Unacceptable.
Quote:
drugs and rehabilitation programs have to go hand in hand.
Agreed. But we can't force rehabilitation until people become a literal threat to oneself or others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
What would it truly take to end the "War on Drugs"?

How can we regain our liberty from the government when they have so many jobs wrapped up into it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/us...drug-laws.html

Purpose of Drug War : Provide Employment for Cops | Liberty Thinkers
MASSIVE use or public opinion that it should be legal.

It took a majority of Americans breaking the law to overturn prohibition. Well that and Roosevelt enjoyed his liquor. So maybe a stoner President would help.

I don't care if its legal, as long as its decriminalized. Way to many people in jail for non violent drug offences. Many of the violent offenders became that way while in prison for....

Non violent drug offences.

50% of Americans now favor legalization of marijuana. But they are pooled into specific areas mainly. There are large regions of the country where marijuana use is looked down upon still. But its shrinking.

P'cola huh? I live in the Freeport area.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,952,004 times
Which War.......and on what drugs.......

Sarah Mclachlan - Fallen Part 2 - Remix by Gabriel and Dresden - 3D Version - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,003,198 times
I've seen some of the work quality, done by someone on drugs (including weed), and I don't even want one of them changing my dog's flee collar.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,009,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I've seen some of the work quality, done by someone on drugs (including weed), and I don't even want one of them changing my dog's flee collar.

Then you must not want to deal with people who drink either? Look I get that there are idiots who go to work stoned! It's stupidity, but toking a little on your down time after work when your day is done, is in no way shape or form going to effect your work performance.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:09 PM

753 posts, read 844,792 times
It's been interesting to learn about Portugal's decriminalization of drugs.

Clearwater Times - Different approach needed to stamp out war on drugs

And here's what Gary Johnson has to say on the matter.

http://biggovernment.com/gjohnson/20...-war-on-drugs/

Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,185,586 times
The solution has always been to go after the casual drug users. Just turn loose the private sector and the profit motive against the casual drug users. The problem will quickly go away.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,147,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Then you must not listen to music, buy any art, or have watched any movies. In the creative fields, drug use is wide spread and has been since the beginning of time.

You just didn't know until now.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,198,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read just this morning that George Soros was one of the earliest speakers against the War on Drugs. I wonder if he thinks the American will can be destroyed with getting more drugs into the hands of the people. I will be watching who posts these war on drugs posts from now on to see possible supporters of Soros and what he wants for us.
Hahaha, seriously? You do realize that there are plenty of billionaire types on the right who cancel him out. Notice all that money in Republican SuperPAC's? I really feel sad for people who spend their lives worrying about conspiracy theories.

Quite often, their lives would have been better if they had spent more time studying and at the library than worrying about conspiracies.

I guess Ron Paul must be a Soros follower by your logic. He wants us out of the war on drugs and obviously he's a plant by Soros sent in to break the American spirit.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well roy, I support small government, and ending the nanny state BS in this country, and not having the government or anyone else telling people what they can and cannot consume!

Me too! ALL drugs should be legal. It's not a valid government role to tell us how to live our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies