Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,344,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
One can see from this thread that most liberals can accept that Obama will bring the nation to the point of insolvency by 2016, but simply do not seem to care and would prefer to push the problem under the rug and simply hope for the best.

It is amusing that this looming disaster is completely discounted by the left and the peril that the US will be presented is dismissed.

Perhaps it is best to face the problem NOW with fiscal restraint and mandating a balanced budget amendment to avoid anarchy?
Do you have proof that Romney or Gingrich will make things better based on their legislative records?

That's all i want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,130,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A great recipe for a great depression.
If you believe that, then I suggest you do not vote for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale
Are you sure that you are not a current member of obama's cabinet?
Pretty sure. Why? What have you heard?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,910,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Okay...still though, the question remains:

If we vote in Romney or Gingrich, what in their legislative background suggests that they would bring fiscal sanity to the country if Obama is so bad?
I agree ... Nobody seems to have any real solutions to this economic crisis (except possibly Ron Paul) -- and, given today's media and politics, he is probably un-electable. Even the ongoing Republican Presidential debates sound a lot like 'politics as usual.'

But, as I recall, Obama's message a few years ago was: "Change you can believe in".... NOT, "Give me 4-years of blaming Bush, outrageous spending deficits and 'higher taxes with no real spending cuts."

I wish there were stronger candidates available, but, Ideology and social agenda are poor excuses for ignoring "Change we really couldn't believe in". Wasn't Obama's question regarding Bush, "Are you better off now than you were 4-years ago?" --- After 3-years of 'campaign speeches' with little real leadership, I'm ready for almost any change that is willing to face the SPENDING problems of our Government--- That may not be Romney or Gingrich, but, is clearly not Obama! -- I'm not sure our country can survive 4-more years of this!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Well, we certainly know that obama WILL get us there.

BTW....Newt and Gingrich are the same person.

Don't count out Santorum yet.
Trust me, i've counted him out before he even declared. He's too nutty.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM

30,305 posts, read 18,861,438 times
Quote:
Do you have proof that Romney or Gingrich will make things better based on their legislative records?

That's all i want to know.
No man can predict the future (my crystal ball is broken and is not due to be repaired for months) What do we know?

1. We know that Obama has increased the debt from $8.6 trillion to $16.3 trillion by the end of 2012.

2. The CBO projects debt to be $22-$24 trillion by the end of 2016 with current spending policies (there is no excuse for ignorance).

3. Obama has shown no evidence of fiscal restraint

4. The republican candidates have promoted-

a. a balanced budget amendment
b. reduction in federal spending
c. a rational tax code that would encourage expansion of buisness in the US and maintain revenues
d. increasing ages for medicare and social security eligibility
e. suggested a VAT tax for revenues

5. The republican congress attempted to promote a balanced budget amendment proposal. This, of course, was killed.

So we have the options of CERTAIN spending as usual with Obama, or we have the POSSIBILITY of fiscal restraint with a republican. There is no hope with Obama- with a republican candidate, there is the hope for fiscal restraints.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,130,767 times
Quote:
One can see from this thread that most liberals can accept that Obama will bring the nation to the point of insolvency by 2016, but simply do not seem to care and would prefer to push the problem under the rug and simply hope for the best.
That's one interpretation.

Another is that liberals believe that the Republicans are flaccid hypocrites who care only about political power at the expense of working Americans, and so have different ideas about we go about solving our problems.

Gosh... what a concept; different ideas.

I realize it puts a lot of stress on simplistic conservative monochromatic thought to have to account for even the mere existence of different ideas... but the universe is a wonderful place. They really are out there.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I agree ... Nobody seems to have any real solutions to this economic crisis (except possibly Ron Paul) -- and, given today's media and politics, he is probably un-electable. Even the ongoing Republican Presidential debates sound a lot like 'politics as usual.'

But, as I recall, Obama's message a few years ago was: "Change you can believe in".... NOT, "Give me 4-years of blaming Bush, outrageous spending deficits and 'higher taxes with no real spending cuts."

I wish there were stronger candidates available, but, Ideology and social agenda are poor excuses for ignoring "Change we really couldn't believe in". Wasn't Obama's question regarding Bush, "Are you better off now than you were 4-years ago?" --- After 3-years of 'campaign speeches' with little real leadership, I'm ready for almost any change that is willing to face the SPENDING problems of our Government--- That may not be Romney or Gingrich, but, is clearly not Obama! -- I'm not sure our country can survive 4-more years of this!
Sure, the overall economic record of Obama is a disappointment, but i have to take in account what he inherited. I'm not blaming Bush, but it's not like things were so great before B.O. got there.

And there are more considerations than just the economy. Social issues, appointment of judges, hatred of unions, the military budget, and most importantly, the willingness to go to war with Iran by Republicans....that scares me more than anything else.

As to the survivability of the Republic, we'll be fine. Not buying into the hype.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No man can predict the future (my crystal ball is broken and is not due to be repaired for months) What do we know?

1. We know that Obama has increased the debt from $8.6 trillion to $16.3 trillion by the end of 2012.

2. The CBO projects debt to be $22-$24 trillion by the end of 2016 with current spending policies (there is no excuse for ignorance).

3. Obama has shown no evidence of fiscal restraint

4. The republican candidates have promoted- (promoted...they're always promoting things. what they do is another thing altogether.

a. a balanced budget amendment
b. reduction in federal spending
c. a rational tax code that would encourage expansion of buisness in the US and maintain revenues
d. increasing ages for medicare and social security eligibility
e. suggested a VAT tax for revenues

5. The republican congress attempted to promote a balanced budget amendment proposal. This, of course, was killed..
Repubs promised this stuff years ago. They had the Congress for 12 years...6 with a Republican President and they didn't even suggest doing any of it once they got power.)

So again, how anyone says that they can be trusted goes over my head.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM

25,856 posts, read 20,800,521 times
Quote:

It is amusing that this looming disaster is completely discounted by the left and the peril that the US will be presented is dismissed.

Perhaps it is best to face the problem NOW with fiscal restraint and mandating a balanced budget amendment to avoid anarchy?

There really is no "excuse for ignorance", yet ignorance seems to be endemic among liberals who choose to vote for certain economic doom.

My goodness. Such hyperbole.

It must really irk that the economy hasn't completely collapsed so far and is actually turning around.

Sorry, but, you wishing for the country's demise if your guy isn't elected ain't gonna make it so.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM

4,885 posts, read 5,043,366 times
Quote:
Sure, the overall economic record of Obama is a disappointment, but i have to take in account what he inherited. I'm not blaming Bush, but it's not like things were so great before B.O. got there.
But, what in his legislative past, made anyone think he could do the job?
Newt and Romney impress me very little as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies