Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Buying an aspirin does not mean I'm taking part in health INSURANCE. Obamacare is INSURANCE, not healthcare.
You are participating in the healthcare system. All who participate in it affect it, from availability of products to the costs. Obamacare (which is a ridicilous partisan slogan that has no value whatsoever in the conversation) is a system for obtaining insurance. it is not itself an insurance policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Thats not interstate commerce, and it only kicks in AFTER I get sick, not before. Obamacare is a mandate BEFORE one gets sick. Complete opposite.
Lots of things that aren't interstate commerce is considered interstate commerce. Has been for decades.

And paying for a premium that doesn't kick in until you need it, is the very definition of insurance.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
You are participating in the healthcare system. All who participate in it affect it, from availability of products to the costs. Obamacare (which is a ridicilous partisan slogan that has no value whatsoever in the conversation) is a system for obtaining insurance. it is not itself an insurance policy.
Its a MANDATE to take part in commerce against people NOT taking part in commerce. It completely blows the interstate commerce clause out of the water because Obamacare is INSURANCE, not healthcare. Everyone might take part in healthcare, but Obamacare has NOTHING to do with healthcare, which has me wondering why you keep discussing healthcare and not insurance.

And the fact that you dont like the name "Obamacare" isnt a problem I'm concerned with. Deal with it

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
We didn't know it because it's not true.

IF you want to BORROW MONEY to purchase or build a property in a 100 year flood plain, you will be required to buy flood insurance. Once the loan is paid, or if you never had a loan, no insurance is required.
I didn't say how long you had to have the policy. Just that you do. Furthermore, most insurance carriers will not cover your home if it is within a 100 year flood plain (that is why the Feds offer it), and most of those that do require you to always have it or they won't cover the house at all.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lots of things that aren't interstate commerce is considered interstate commerce. Has been for decades.
The fact that man things arent insterstate commerce, but considered to be, doesnt mean that it is. I can go buy a big mac at my local McDonalds, but that doesnt mean its interstate commerce simply because McDonalds is world wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And paying for a premium that doesn't kick in until you need it, is the very definition of insurance.
Obamacare doesnt allow that type of insurance, so maybe you should call Obama up and explain it to him.

Last edited by pghquest; 02-07-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Its a MANDATE to take part in commerce against people NOT taking part in commerce. It completely blows the interstate commerce clause out of the water because Obamacare is INSURANCE, not healthcare. Everyone might take part in healthcare, but Obamacare has NOTHING to do with healthcare, which has me wondering why you keep discussing healthcare and not insurance.

And the fact that you dont like the name "Obamacare" isnt a problem I'm concerned with. Deal with it

But you are taking part in the commerce, as I've already shown. And it isn't insurance. It is a system to help you get insurance. The government doesn't provide the insurance. Private insurance carriers do.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The fact that man things arent insterstate commerce, but considered to be, doesnt mean that it is. I can go buy a big mac at my local McDonalds, but that doesnt mean its interstate commerce simply because McDonalds is world wide.
And yet McDonald's IS regulated by our interstate commerce laws. If you doubt this, call ole Ronald Mc D and ask him.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't say how long you had to have the policy. Just that you do. Furthermore, most insurance carriers will not cover your home if it is within a 100 year flood plain (that is why the Feds offer it), and most of those that do require you to always have it or they won't cover the house at all.
Again, thats not at all true. I live in a flood zone and have never had a problem getting insurance. They just dont insure the property in the event of a flood.

Furthermore, flood insurance is a bank requirement, not an insurance one. Without it, some banks wont issue you a mortgage.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
And yet McDonald's IS regulated by our interstate commerce laws. If you doubt this, call ole Ronald Mc D and ask him.
Actually franchisors are regulated by interstate commerce only if they cross the state line to sell franchises, franchisees and other franchors not crossing state lines are regulated by state registration laws.
Quote:
But you are taking part in the commerce, as I've already shown. And it isn't insurance. It is a system to help you get insurance. The government doesn't provide the insurance. Private insurance carriers do.
Obamacare REQUIRES YOU BUY INSURANCE, something I'm not already doing. I might be taking part in healthcare commerce but I sure in hell am not taking part in health INSURANCE commerce.

NOT THE SAME and you'll do wonders to educate yourself on the difference.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is that how you view history up until last year..mere survival ?
Mandatory healthcare is what makes life complete now ?
Well, it damn sure helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies