Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
yes its fun, but the 'war on women' is true.

Many of the "red" states have had legislature to pass laws that would have redefined rape, stop women from getting an abortion, and recently TEXAS enacted a law that mandates/REQUIRES a pregnant mother to view a sonogram before getting an abortion.
Don't move here, you won't hurt our feelings....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatooine View Post
What annoys me most is that these people who don't want to provide contraceptives don't remember that birth control isn't always controlling fertility. Women use it for other health issues, too, and should have access to that.
Seems to me they already have access.. If you go into a store, you can buy a condom.... If you go to your family physician you can get birth control for the asking... We aren't debating access, we are debating whether every american should be "forced" to pay for that access.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You just wrote three paragraphs with absolutely no point but to rant.
Attention span trouble? Anytime a fence line is established, it serves to keep 2 parties clear about their boundaries. Religion wants a fence with doggie doors it can navigate in and out around said boundaries. This isn't working.

Once they leave the confines of that Church, they are in secular free society rules. That's all. No diplomatic immunity cards. There is no excuse for circumventing justice system shuffling rogue priests out of jurisdiction. There is no excuse for manipulating government to apply the catechism universally. None. If they prefer to have nothing to do with those not beholden to the catechism, that is their right. Don't hire, and don't treat, those who fail to comply with the catechism in the gated community they are making FOR THEMSELVES.
The Amish have no problems living out everything they believe, do they? Why does the Vatican? What is the difference?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In effect, that would be forcing Catholic doctrine onto non-Catholic's using federal law, wouldn't it? How is that NOT a violation of the Constitutionally protected right to practice religion however you see fit, or worse, government choosing one religion over another?
I have never heard any Jew demanding the federal government enforce Kosher standards. Looks to me they understand a little more how America works, and how it won't work, if this precedence is set.

The Vatican isn't obliged to stretch it's brain to understand anything when it enjoys the privilege of living in a fishbowl hierarchy of blind obedience. It's the nature of in house problems between clergy and laity for decades. This needs to be worked out internally but they're using the government to drag everyone else into what amounts to be a therapy session. I'm against this for many reasons, but the sake of the integrity of the Church and the sake of interfaith relations is on the line. Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This isn't about a war on women. It's about a war on religion.
You are sadly mistaken. The Susan Smith most guilty is pointing a finger away from herself, but it's not a woman doing it. That's why you can't see Jezebel in plain sight. The Jezebel are men.

This is about a war on women perpetrated by theologians cloaked behind the Bible. Insisting half of the species not be permitted socially, legally, or religiously to defend itself is unconscionable. How would that work out for you if it were turned around? I don't want it that way either. That's the difference between a real feminist and a false one.

One of these days, people are going to have to wake up and realize the world we share must serve our daughters and our sons equally if it is to be sane and aspire to achieve one nation, liberty and justice for ALL. But it's not. And hasn't been. Selective attention, selective enforcement... you can live there alone. So long as predatory legislation inflicted upon womankind for the benefit of mankind is permitted to exist, America will continue to fail to thrive. Control women, control what men love/ desire, you control men. They too are held hostage by dysfunctional philosophies. All of it coming at the expense of healthy families.

Who is the master and who is the slave when a dog owner has to pick up the sh*t behind their dogs? Recall the most dysfunctional marriages you've ever witnessed headed for divorce court. There it is.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not saying we shouldn't have outlawed slavery, but it should be an amendment to do that. And guess what, thats what it took.

What I'm saying is that we should use the government the way it was intended, and if we are going to do something that isn't explicitly in the constitution, then add it to it. If its, on its merits, worthy, it shouldn't be a problem to change it, right?
And it has been determined that majority doesn't get to vote on the rights of the minority.
How about that constitutional amendment to give women equality? How about interracial marriages being permitted, how about women in the military. These are all hard fought struggles that states cannot deny rights for.

And states would refuse blacks and women equality, that interracial marriages are permitted, that gays can marry.

You chose one of my examples, funny that.
The ERA was not passed.

You don't like it, by your interpretation.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Seems to me they already have access.. If you go into a store, you can buy a condom.... If you go to your family physician you can get birth control for the asking... We aren't debating access, we are debating whether every american should be "forced" to pay for that access.
Not necessarily true.
Pharmacists sued to not be required to dispense birth control to women.
Many doctors refuse to prescribe birth control for women.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
Sure you can. Liberals love to make fun of republicans, but when someone makes fun of them it's all, "why are you picking on me?!?"
Same with women. Smack a man, it's feisty female assertiveness. Shove a woman, it's a federal hate crime.

Equality, my far-flung Isles of Langerhans.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Not necessarily true.
Pharmacists sued to not be required to dispense birth control to women.
Many doctors refuse to prescribe birth control for women.
You can find an exception to any arguement. If you should find this one physician or this one pharmacy, you simply go to another. We aren't talking flukes, we are talking generality.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
We aren't debating access, we are debating whether every american should be "forced" to pay for that access.
I've not heard anyone complain about being "forced" to pay for birth control. The Catholic Church doesn't want to provide it because it's against their religion. On one hand, I think they should have an exemption, but on the other hand, we don't let churches do whatever they want in other areas. They're not above the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies